Large spinel grains in a CM chondrite (Acfer 331): Implications for reconstructions of ancient meteorite fluxes
Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2013
© The Meteoritical Society, 2013
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 48, Issue 2, pages 180–194, February 2013
How to Cite
Bjärnborg, K. and Schmitz, B. (2013), Large spinel grains in a CM chondrite (Acfer 331): Implications for reconstructions of ancient meteorite fluxes. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 48: 180–194. doi: 10.1111/maps.12050
- Issue online: 26 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 7 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 13 APR 2012
- Swedish Research Council
- European Research Council
- Swedish Research Council
- 1988. Cr-rich spinels as petrogenetic indicators—MORB-type lavas from the Lamont seamount chain, eastern Pacific. American Mineralogist 73:741–753. , , and
- 2009. Relict silicate inclusions in extraterrestrial chromite and their use in the classification of fossil chondritic material. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 73:1472–1486. and
- 2011. A 3-D study of mineral inclusions in chromite from ordinary chondrites using synchrotron radiation X-ray tomographic microscopy—Method and applications. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 46:1071–1081. , , , , and
- 2001. The range of spinel compositions in terrestrial mafic and ultramafic rocks. Journal of Petrology 42:2279–2302. and
- 1998. Meteorite flux on the Nullarbor region, Australia. In Meteorites: Flux with time and impact effects, edited by Grady M. M., Hutchison R., McCall G. J. H., and Rothery D. A. London: The Geological Society. pp. 59–73. , , and .
- 2007. Petrographic classification of Middle Ordovician fossil meteorites from Sweden. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 42:1781–1789. , , , , , and
- 1991. Are there real differences between Antarctic finds and modern falls meteorites? Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 55:99–104. and
- 1984. The oxygen isotope record in Murchison and other carbonaceous chondrites. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 67:151–161. and
- 2011. Major, trace element and oxygen isotope study of glass cosmic spherules of chondritic composition: The record of their source material and atmospheric entry heating. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 75:5203–5218. , , , , and
- 2007. Extraterrestrial chromite in latest Maastrichtian and Paleocene pelagic limestone at Gubbio, Italy: The flux of unmelted ordinary chondrites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 42:2099–2109. and
- 2010. Extraterrestrial chromite distribution across the mid-Ordovician Puxi River section, central China: Evidence for a global major spike in flux of L-chondritic matter. Icarus 208:36–48. and
- 1998. Carbonaceous micrometeorites from Antarctica. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 33:565–580. and
- 1975. Chrome-spine1 in progressive metamorphism—A preliminary analysis. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 39:959–972. and
- 1999. Density and porosity of stone meteorites: Implications for the density, porosity, cratering, and collisional disruption of asteroids. Icarus 142:97–105. , , and
- 2009. Dust production from the hypervelocity impact disruption of the Murchison hydrous CM2 meteorite: Implications for the disruption of hydrous asteroids and the production of interplanetary dust. Planetary and Space Science 57:119–126. , , , , and
- 1973. Mineralogy, mineral-chemistry and composition of the Murchison (C2) meteorite. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution. 39 p. , , and .
- 2011. The asteroid-comet continuum: In search of lost primitivity. Elements 7:29–34.
- 2008. Noble gases in fossil micrometeorites and meteorites from 470 Myr old sediments from southern Sweden, and new evidence for the L-chondrite parent body breakup event. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 43:517–528. , , , and
- 2010. A single asteroidal source for extraterrestrial Ordovician chromite grains from Sweden and China: High-precision oxygen three-isotope SIMS analysis. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 74:497–509. , , , , , and
- 1991. Chromite and olivine in type II chondrules in carbonaceous and ordinary chondrites: Implications for thermal histories and group differences. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 55:893–904. and
- 1962. On the phase composition of meteorites. Journal of Geophysical Research 67:4055–4061.
- 1990. Effects of hydrothermal alteration on the compositions of chromian spinels. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 105:337–346.
- 2007. L-chondrite asteroid breakup tied to Ordovician meteorite shower by multiple isochron 40Ar-39Ar dating. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 42:113–130. , , , , , , , and
- 1998. A meteorite from the Cretaceous/Tertiary boundary. Nature 396:237–239.
- 2002. Atmospheric cosmic dust fluxes in the size range 10-4 to 10 centimeters. The Astrophysical Journal 576:1090–1097. and
- 2012. A Russian record of a Middle Ordovician meteorite shower: Extraterrestrial chromite at Lynna River, St. Petersburg region. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 47:1274–1290. , , , and
- 1993. A direct measurement of the terrestrial mass accretion rate of cosmic dust. Science 262:550–553. and
- 2001. Crystal chemistry and durability of the spinel structure type in natural systems. Progress in Nuclear Energy 38:447–454.
- 2011. Density, porosity, and magnetic susceptibility of carbonaceous chondrites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 46:1842–1862. , , and
- 2011. Determination of bulk density for small meteorite fragments via visible light 3-D laser imaging. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 46:1097–1109. , , and
- 1987. Oxygen isotopes in refractory stratospheric dust particles: Proofs of extraterrestrial origin. Science 237:1468–1471.
- 1992. Mineral compositions in Antarctic and Greenland micrometeorites. Meteoritics 27:73–80. and
- 1989. Spinels in harzburgite and lherzolite inclusions from the San Giovanni Ilarione Quarry, Lessini Mountains, Veneto Region, Italy. Mineralogy and Petrology 40:73–89. , , and
- 2010. Investigations on a large collection of cosmic dust from the Central Indian Ocean. Earth, Moon, and Planets 107:197–217. , , and
- 2005. Compositional and textural variation in detrital chrome-spinels from the Murray Basin, southeastern Australia. Mineralogical Magazine 69:191–204.
- 2006. Detrital chrome-spinel grains in heavy-mineral sand deposits from southeast Africa. Mineralogical Magazine 70:51–64. , and
- 1997. Mineralogy of meteorite groups. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 32:231–247.
- 2010. Meteorite and meteoroid: New comprehensive definitions. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 45:114–122. and
- 2003. The Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 87. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38:A189–A248. , , , , , , and
- 2006. Extraterrestrial chromite in middle Ordovician marine limestone at Kinnekulle, southern Sweden—Traces of a major asteroid breakup event. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41:455–466. and
- 2001. A rain of ordinary chondritic meteorites in the early Ordovician. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 194:1–15. , , and
- 2003. Sediment-dispersed extraterrestrial chromite traces a major asteroid disruption event. Science 300:961–964. , , and
- 1994. Petrography, composition, and origin of large, chromian spinels from the Murchison meteorite. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 58:1313–1334. , , , , and
- 2000. Complexly zoned chromium-aluminum spinel found in situ in the Allende meteorite. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 35:215–227. , , , and
- 2010. Identification of the parent bodies of micrometeorites with high-precision oxygen isotope ratios. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 293:313–320. , , , , , , , and
- 2006. The nature of the KT impactor. A 54Cr reappraisal. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 241:780–788. , , and
- 1991. An ion microprobe study of corundum in the Murchison meteorite: Implications for 26Al and 16O in the early solar system. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 55:2045–2062. , , , and