Newly identified “Tunnunik” impact structure, Prince Albert Peninsula, northwestern Victoria Island, Arctic Canada
Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2013
© The Meteoritical Society, 2013
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 48, Issue 2, pages 211–223, February 2013
How to Cite
DEWING, K., PRATT, B. R., HADLARI, T., BRENT, T., BÉDARD, J. and RAINBIRD, R. H. (2013), Newly identified “Tunnunik” impact structure, Prince Albert Peninsula, northwestern Victoria Island, Arctic Canada. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 48: 211–223. doi: 10.1111/maps.12052
- Issue online: 26 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 25 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 JUL 2012
- Geo-mapping for Energy and Minerals Program of the Geological Survey of Canada
- Alminex Ltd. 1969. Geological Report. National Energy Board Report 635-1-9-6.
- 2003. The formation of shatter cones by shock wave interference during impacting. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 216:43–54. and
- 1975. Arctic well history report, Murphy Alminex Victoria Island F-36. National Energy Board Report 063-11-09-024. .
- 2012. Fault-mediated melt ascent in a Neoproterozoic continental flood basalt province, the Franklin sills, Victoria Island, Canada. Geological Society of America Bulletin 124:723–736. , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1974. Surface geology of Victoria Island and adjacent mainland, N.W.T., prepared for Union Oil Company of Canada Ltd. from results of 1973 field parties. National Energy Board Report 028-01-09-066. .
- 2010. The first description and confirmation of the Vista Alegre impact structure in the Paraná flood basalts of southern Brazil. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 45:181–194. , , , and
- 2007. Geological and geochemical data from the Canadian Arctic Islands. Part I: Stratigraphic tops from Arctic Islands oil and exploration boreholes. Geological Survey of Canada Open File 5442. and .
- 1971. Geological surface party report, Banks and Victoria islands, Arctic Islands. National Energy Board Report 246-1-9-35. [Prepared for Atlantic Richfield Oil Co.] and .
- 2008. Shatter cone and microscopic shock-alteration evidence for a post-Paleoproterozoic terrestrial impact structure near Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 270:290–299. , , , and
- 2011. The newly confirmed Luizi impact structure, Democratic Republic of Congo—Insights into central uplift formation and post-impact erosion. Geology 39:851–854. , , , and
- 2010. The convincing identification of terrestrial meteorite impact structures: What works, what doesn't, and why. Earth Science Reviews 98:123–170. and
- 1967. Report on Cambrian fossils from Victoria Island, Canadian Arctic Islands, collected by Petropar Canada Ltd., during the 1966 field season. Geological Survey of Canada Fossil Report C6-1967-WHF, 1 p. .
- 1971. Review of three lots of Cambrian fossils from Victoria Island, Canadian Arctic. Geological Survey of Canada Fossil Report C7-1971-WHF, 1 p. .
- 1991. Terrestrial impact: The record in the rocks. Meteoritics 26:175–194.
- 2006. Impact structures in Canada. Geological Association of Canada, St. John's, Geotext no. 5, 210 p. .
- 1996. The signature of terrestrial impacts. AGSO Journal of Australian Geology and Geophysics 16:399–420. and
- 2000. Vredefort, Sudbury, Chicxulub: Three of a kind? Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 28:305–338. and
- 1992. Nature and timing of Franklin igneous events, Canada: Implications for a Late Proterozoic mantle plume and the break-up of Laurentia. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 109:117–131. , , and
- 2011. Impact cratering in sandstone: The MEMIN pilot study on the effect of pore water. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 46:890–902. , , , , , and
- 2010a. Residual total magnetic field, Minto Inlier aeromagnetic survey, Victoria Island, NTS 87B, E, F, G, H and 88A, Northwest Territories. Geological Survey of Canada Open Files 6698, 6700, 6702, 6704, 6706, 6708. and .
- 2010b. First vertical derivative of the magnetic field, Minto Inlier aeromagnetic survey, Victoria Island, NTS 87B, E, F, G, H and 88A, Northwest Territories. Geological Survey of Canada Open Files 6699, 6701, 6703, 6705, 6707, 6709. and .
- 1979. Mesozoic and Tertiary geology of Banks Island, Arctic Canada: The history of an unstable cratonic margin. Geological Survey of Canada Memoir 387, 235 pp. .
- 1991. Geology of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago. In Geology of the Innuitian Orogen and Arctic Platform of Canada and Greenland, edited by Trettin H. P. Geology of Canada, v. 3, Geological Survey of Canada, scale 1:2 000–000. .
- 2008. Shatter cones of the Haughton impact structure, Canada. 40th ESLAB, First International Conference on Impact Cratering in the Solar System, Proceedings. pp. 95–99. and .
- 2005. Impactites of the Haughton impact structure, Devon Island, Canadian High Arctic. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39:1655–1684. , , and
- PetroCanada Exploration Inc. 1978. 1978 Arctic Islands geological field operation (Banks, Victoria, Princess Royal islands segment). National Energy Board Report 246-01-10-101.
- 1967. Petropar Canada Ltd. Operation Meridien 1966. National Energy Board Report 581-1-9-27. and .
- 1992. Anatomy of a large-scale braid-plain quartzarenite from the Neoproterozoic Shaler Group, Victoria Island, Northwest Territories, Canada. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 29:2537–2550.
- 1994. The Shaler Supergroup and revision of Neoproterozoic stratigraphy in Amundsen Basin, Northwest Territories. Current Research Part C, Geological Survey of Canada Paper 94-01C:61–70. , , , and .
- 1997. Pan-continental river system draining Grenville orogen recorded by U-Pb and Sm-Nd geochronology of Neoproterozoic quartzarenites and mudrocks, northwestern Canada. Journal of Geology 105:1–17. , , , , , , and
- 2008. Catastrophes, extinctions and evolution: 50 years of impact cratering studies. Geological Society of India, Golden Jubilee Memoir 66:69–110. and .
- 2004. Petrogenesis of the 723 Ma Coronation sills, Amundsen Basin, Arctic Canada: Implications for the breakup of Rodinia. Precambrian Research 129:309–324. , , and
- 1989. Chemical and isotopic systematics of oceanic basalts: Implications for mantle compositions and processes. In Magmatism in the ocean basins, edited by Saunders A. D. and Norry M. J. Geological Society of London Special Publication 42. pp. 313–345. and
- 1997. Original size of the Vredefort structure: Implications for the geological evolution of the Witwatersrand Basin. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 32:71–77. , , and
- 1962. Banks, Victoria, and Stefansson islands, Arctic Archipelago. Geological Survey of Canada Memoir 330:85. and .
- 2006. New observations on shatter cones in the Vredefort impact structure, South Africa, and evaluation of current hypotheses for shatter cone formation. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 37:623–647. , , and
- 2012. Core, petrographic, and rock petrophysical evaluation of the Blue Fiord Formation from wells in the Canadian Arctic Islands. Geological Survey of Canada Open File 6984:126. .