The Oort Cloud and long-period comets
Article first published online: 15 MAR 2013
© The Meteoritical Society, 2013.
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 49, Issue 1, pages 8–20, January 2014
How to Cite
Rickman, H. (2014), The Oort Cloud and long-period comets. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 49: 8–20. doi: 10.1111/maps.12080
- Issue published online: 21 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 15 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 28 AUG 2012
- Polish Government. Grant Numbers: 203 392 734, 74/10:2
- Swedish National Space Board. Grant Number: 2011/01/B/ST9/05442
- Polish National Science Center
This review starts with a brief historical overview of the subject, after which some recent papers attempting to improve the understanding of comet injection from the Oort Cloud and the origin of new comets are discussed. Special attention is paid to the importance of nongravitational effects in comet orbit determination, the synergy between stellar encounters and the galactic tides for the injection dynamics, and the role of planetary perturbations. The field is thus shown to be advancing rapidly, and brief comments on possible implications for studying the origin of the cloud are made.