Characterization and morphological reconstruction of the Terny impact structure, central Ukraine
Version of Record online: 1 APR 2013
© The Meteoritical Society, 2013.
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 48, Issue 5, pages 806–818, May 2013
How to Cite
Sharpton, V. L., Krochuk, R. V. and Herrick, R. R. (2013), Characterization and morphological reconstruction of the Terny impact structure, central Ukraine. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 48: 806–818. doi: 10.1111/maps.12107
- Issue online: 13 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 1 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 26 SEP 2012
- NASA Planetary Geology and Geophysics. Grant Number: NAG5-9392
- 2008. Late Archean magmatic complexes of the Azov terrane, Ukrainian Shield: Geological setting, isotopic age, and sources of material. Petrology 16:211–231. , , , , , and
- 2008. Mid-sized complex crater formation in mixed crystalline-sedimentary targets: Insights from modeling and observation. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 43:1955–1977. , , , and
- 1977. Terrestrial impact structures: Principal characteristics and energy considerations. In Impact and explosion cratering, edited by Roddy D. J., Pepin R. O., and Merrill R. B. New York: Pergamon Press. pp. 247–275. , , and
- 1997. Suevite breccia of the Ries impact crater, Germany: Petrography, chemistry and shock metamorphism of crystalline rock clasts. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 32:545–554. .
- 1969. Shock induced planar deformation features in quartz from the Ries crater, Germany. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 20:203–234. . and
- 1968. Stages of shock metamorphism in crystalline rocks of the Ries Basin, Germany. In Shock metamorphism of natural materials, edited by French B. M. and Short N. M. Baltimore, Maryland: Mono Book Corp. pp. 229–295. . and
- 1980. Terny astrobleme in North Kryvyj Rig region. Reports of Academy of Science of USSR 2:449–451. and
- 2010. The convincing identification of terrestrial meteorite impact structures: What works, what doesn't, and why. Earth-Science Reviews 98:123–170. and
- 2006. Central ring structure identified in one of the world's best preserved impact craters. Geology 34:145–148. , , and
- 1982. The record of impact on Earth: Implications for a major Cretaceous-Tertiary impact event. Geological Society of America Special Paper 190:25–37.
- 1987. Terrestrial impact structures. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 15:245–270.
- 1994. The economic potential of terrestrial impact craters. International Geology Review 36:105–151. and
- 1979. The terrestrial cratering record. Icarus 38:212–229. and
- 1994. The record of past impacts on Earth. In Hazards due to comets and asteroids, edited by Gehrels T. Tucson, Arizona: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 417–467. and
- 1981. Constraints on the formation of ring impact structures based on terrestrial data. In Multi-ring basins: Formation and evolution, Proceedings of Lunar and Planetary Science 12A, edited by Schultz P. H. and Merrill R. B. New York: Pergamon. pp. 37–57. , , and
- 1995. The record of terrestrial impact cratering. GSA Today 5:189–196. , , , and
- 1982. Stishovite from the Terny astrobleme. Mineralogical Journal 4:75–76.
- 2004. Shocked rocks and impact glasses from the El'gygytgyn impact structure, Russia. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39:1495–1508. and
- 1980. The role of volatiles and lithology in the impact cratering process. Reviews of Geophysics and Space Physics 18:143–181. and
- 2003. Morphology of the Terny astrobleme based on the field observation and sample analysis (abstract #1489). 34th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. and .
- 1999. Impact structures of northeastern Eurasia: The territories of Russia and adjacent countries. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 34:691–711.
- 1981. High-ferruginous tagamites from the Terny astrobleme (Ukrainian shield) (abstract). 12th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. p. 655. , , and
- 1985. Recrystallized diaplectic quartz from the Ternovskaya astrobleme. Meteoritika 44:164–167. (In Russian) and
- 1980. Cratering mechanics—Observational, experimental, and theoretical. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 8:65–93.
- 1977. Shatter cones—An outstanding problem in shock mechanics. In Impact and explosion cratering, edited by Roddy D. J., Pepin R. O., and Merrill R. B. New York: Pergamon Press. pp. 703–714.
- 1977. Subvolcanic sienite-trachiandesite complex rocks of north Kryvyj Rig area. Geochemistry and Ore Formations 6:42–46.
- 2007. Seismic investigation of the El'gygytgyn impact crater lake (Central Chukotka, NE Siberia): Preliminary results. Journal of Paleolimnology 37:49–63. , , , and
- 1979. On the genesis of tridimite-hizingerite rocks from Pervomaysk deposit in Krivoy Rog. Reports of Academy of Science of USSR 249:436–439. (In Russian)
- 1991. Geology of Pervomaysk iron deposit and meteorite impact influence on its structure. Moscow: Nedra, Ministry of Geology, USSR. 71 p. (In Russian) .
- 1983. Pervomaysk iron-ore deposit in the Krivoy Rog and its transformation by impact metamorphism. International Geology Review 25:1304–1315. , , and
- 2005. Economic mineral deposits in impact structures: A review. In Impact tectonics, edited by Koeberl C. and Henkel H. Berlin: Springer. pp. 479–552. , , , and
- 1977. Shock attenuation at terrestrial impact craters. In Impact and explosion cratering, edited by Roddy D. J., Pepin R. O., and Merrill R. B. New York: Pergamon Press. pp. 687–702. and
- 1968. Deformation in rock-forming minerals from Canadian craters. In Shock metamorphism of natural materials, edited by French B. M. and Short N. M. Baltimore, Maryland: Mono Book Corp. pp. 433–452. , , and
- 1977. Shatter cones formed in large-scale experimental explosion craters. In Impact and explosion cratering, edited by Roddy D. J., Pepin R. O., and Merrill R. B. New York: Pergamon Press. pp. 715–750. and
- 1984. Age and evolution of the Early Precambrian continental crust of the Ukrainian Shield. In Archaean geochemistry: The origin and evolution of the Archaean continental crust, edited by Kröner A. Berlin: Springer. pp. 251–261. , , , and
- 1972. Deformation and transformation of rock-forming minerals by natural and experimental shock processes: I. Behavior of minerals under shock compression. Fortschritte der Mineralogie 49:50–113.
- 1984. Glasses formed by hypervelocity impacts. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 67:465–502.
- 2007. Impactites. In Metamorphic rocks: A classification and glossary of terms, recommendations of the International Union of Geological Sciences, edited by Fettes D. and Desmons J. Cambridge: Cambridge Press. pp. 1–30. , and .
- 1994. Shock metamorphism of quartz in nature and experiment: I. Basic observation and theory. Meteoritics 29:155–181. , and
- 1992. Shock–metamorphogenic carbon minerals. Kiev: Naukova Dumka. 170 p. (In Russian)
- 1982. Ternovskaya astroblema; Krivoy Rog. In The geology and petrology of meteorite craters, edited by Ryabenko V. A. Kiev, USSR: Izd. Nauk. Dumka. pp. 193–202. (In Russian) and
- 1981. The Ternovka astrobleme: New and most deeply eroded meteorite crater on the Ukrainian shield. Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR 2:3–7. (In Russian) , , and
- 1989. The distribution of meteoritic material in impactites from the Terny astrobleme (Krivoi Rog, Ukraine). 20th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 1148–1149. , , , and