Diet patterns are associated with demographic factors and nutritional status in South Indian children
Version of Record online: 2 JUL 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Maternal and Child Nutrition published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Maternal & Child Nutrition
Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 145–158, January 2014
How to Cite
Kehoe, S. H., Krishnaveni, G. V., Veena, S. R., Guntupalli, A. M., Margetts, B. M., Fall, C. H.D. and Robinson, S. M. (2014), Diet patterns are associated with demographic factors and nutritional status in South Indian children. Maternal & Child Nutrition, 10: 145–158. doi: 10.1111/mcn.12046
- Issue online: 17 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 2 JUL 2013
- Parthenon Trust
- Wellcome Trust
- Medical Research Council
- 2010) Dietary patterns and markers for the metabolic syndrome in Australian adolescents. Nutrition, Metabolism, and Cardiovascular Diseases 20, 274–283. , , , , et al. (
- 2011) Dietary intake and rural-urban migration in India: a cross-sectional study. PLoS ONE 6, e14822. , , , , , et al. (
- 2002) Development, validation and utilisation of food-frequency questionnaires – a review. Public Health Nutrition 5, 567–587. , , & (
- 2010) Maternal micronutrient deficiency, fetal development, and the risk of chronic disease. The Journal of Nutrition 140, 437–445. & (
- Consumers International (2008) The Junk Food Trap: Marketing Unhealthy Food to Children in Asia Pacific. Consumers International: London.
- 2011) Is maternal education level associated with diet in 10-year-old children? Public Health Nutrition 14, 2037–2048. , , , & (
- 2006) Dietary patterns in the Southampton Women's Survey. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 60, 1391–1399. , , & (
- 2004) The Junk Food Generation: A Multi-Country Survey of the Influence of Television Advertisements on Children. Consumers International Asia Pacific Office: Kuala Lumpur. (
- 2000) Seven-year tracking of dietary factors in young adults: the CARDIA study. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 18, 38–45. , , , & (
- 2009) Dietary patterns are linked to cardiovascular risk factors but not to inflammatory markers in Alaska Eskimos. The Journal of Nutrition 139, 2322–2328. , , , , , et al. (
- 2011) Influences on the quality of young children's diets: the importance of maternal food choices. The British Journal of Nutrition 105, 287–296. , , , , & (
- 2001) Dietary patterns and the risk of coronary heart disease in women. Archives of Internal Medicine 161, 1857–1862. , , , & (
- 2011) Major dietary patterns and their associations with cardiovascular risk factors among women in West Bengal, India. The British Journal of Nutrition 105, 1520–1529. , , , , , et al. (
- Government of India (2012) Census of India 2011. Provisional Population Totals Urban Agglomerations and Citites. 3-12-0012. Ref Type: Online Source.
- 2010) Prevalence of overweight and obesity in Indian adolescent school going children: its relationship with socioeconomic status and associated lifestyle factors. The Journal of the Association of Physicians of India 58, 151–158. , , , , , et al. (
- 2012) Childhood obesity in developing countries: epidemiology, determinants, and prevention. Endocrine Reviews 33, 48–70. , , & (
- 2011) Sugar sweetened beverage consumption by Australian children: implications for public health strategy. BMC Public Health 11, 950. , , & (
- 2008) The role of sugar-sweetened beverage consumption in adolescent obesity: a review of the literature. The Journal of School Nursing 24, 3–12. (
- 2005) Glucose tolerance in pregnancy in South India: relationships to neonatal anthropometry. Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica 84, 159–165. , , , & (
- 1988) Lactobacillus casei microbiological assay of folic acid derivatives in 96-well microtiter plates. Clinical Chemistry 34, 2357–2359. & (
- 2002) Dietary pattern analysis: a new direction in nutritional epidemiology. Current Opinion in Lipidology 13, 3–9. (
- International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS) (2000) National Family Health Survey (NFHS-2) 1998–1999. IIPS/ORC Macro: Mumbai/Washington, DC.
- International Institute for Population Sciences (IIPS) and Macro Interntional (2007) National Family Health Survey (NFHS-3) 2005–06 Volume 1, IIPS: Mumbai.
- 2010) Obesity among adolescents of affluent public schools in Meerut. Indian Journal of Public Health 54, 158–160. , , & (
- 2008) Energy-dense, low-fiber, high-fat dietary pattern is associated with increased fatness in childhood. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 87, 846–854. , , , & (
- Joint FAO/WHO Expert Consultation on Human Vitamin and Mineral Requirements (2004) Vitamin and Mineral Requirements in Human Nutrition, 2nd edn. World Health Organisation: Geneva.
- 1992) Principal component analysis and exploratory factor analysis. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 1, 69–95. & (
- 2006) Children in Family Purchase Decision Making in India and the west. Singh, R. Ref Type: Online Source. & (
- 2012) Birth size and physical activity in a cohort of Indian children aged 6–10 years. Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease 3, 245–252. , , , , , et al. (
- 1987) Microbiological assay for vitamin B12 with use of a colistin-sulfate-resistant organism. Clinical Chemistry 33, 52–54. , , & (
- 2010) Sociodemographic patterning of non-communicable disease risk factors in rural India: a cross sectional study. BMJ (Clinical Research Ed.) 341, c4974. , , , , , et al. (
- 2005) Truncal adiposity is present at birth and in early childhood in South Indian children. Indian Pediatrics 42, 527–538. , , , , , et al. (
- 2009) Low plasma vitamin B12 in pregnancy is associated with gestational ‘diabesity’ and later diabetes. Diabetologia 52, 2350–2358. , , , , , et al. (
- 2008) Dietary and physical activity patterns in French children are related to overweight and socioeconomic status. The Journal of Nutrition 138, 101–107. , , , & (
- 2005) Consistent dietary patterns identified from childhood to adulthood: the cardiovascular risk in Young Finns Study. The British Journal of Nutrition 93, 923–931. , , , & (
- 2010) Dietary patterns and colorectal adenoma and cancer risk: a review of the epidemiological evidence. Nutrition and Cancer 62, 413–424. , , , & (
- 2007) Metabolic syndrome in children: current issues and South Asian perspective. Nutrition (Burbank, Los Angeles County, Calif.) 23, 895–910. , , , & (
- 2011) Nutrition transition in India: secular trends in dietary intake and their relationship to diet-related non-communicable diseases. Journal of Diabetes 3, 278–292. , , , , & (
- 2004) Empirically derived eating patterns using factor or cluster analysis: a review. Nutrition Reviews 62, 177–203. & (
- 2001) Dietary patterns and mortality in Danish men and women: a prospective observational study. The British Journal of Nutrition 85, 219–225. , , , & (
- 2009) Centiles of anthropometric measures of adiposity for 14- to 18-year-old urban Asian Indian adolescents. Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders 7, 133–141. , , , , & (
- 2011) Chronic diseases and injuries in India. Lancet 377, 413–428. , , , , , et al. (
- 2007) Iron, folate, and vitamin B12 stores among pregnant women in a rural area of Haryana State, India. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 28, 435–438. , , , , & (
- 2002) An overview on the nutrition transition and its health implications: the Bellagio meeting. Public Health Nutrition. 5 (1A), 93–103. (
- 2012) Global nutrition transition and the pandemic of obesity in developing countries. Nutrition Reviews 70, 3–21. , & (
- 2007) Obesity in Indian children: time trends and relationship with hypertension. The National Medical Journal of India 20, 288–293. , , , & (
- 2007) Dietary patterns in adolescence are related to adiposity in young adulthood in black and white females. The Journal of Nutrition 137, 399–406. , , , , , et al. (
- 2007) Dietary patterns in infancy: the importance of maternal and family influences on feeding practice. The British Journal of Nutrition 98, 1029–1037. , , , , , et al. (
- 2002) Nutrition transition in India. Public Health Nutrition 5 (1A), 175–182. (
- United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (2011) P. D. World Population Prospects: The 2010 Revision. New York. 11-11-2012. Ref Type: Online Source.
- World Health Organisation (2007) The WHO Child Growth Standards. Geneva. Ref Type: Grant.
- World Health Organisation (2011) Noncommunicable Diseases Country Profiles 2011. World Health Organisation: Geneva.
- 2003) Neonatal anthropometry: the thin-fat Indian baby. The Pune Maternal Nutrition Study. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders. 27, 173–180. , , , , , et al. (
- 2006) Vitamin B12 deficiency and hyperhomocysteinemia in rural and urban Indians. The Journal of the Association of Physicians of India 54, 775–782. , , , , , et al. (
- 2008) Vitamin B12 and folate concentrations during pregnancy and insulin resistance in the offspring: the Pune Maternal Nutrition Study. Diabetologia 51, 29–38. , , , , , et al. (
- 2010) Dietary patterns are associated with hyperhomocysteinemia in an urban Pakistani population. The Journal of Nutrition 140, 1261–1266. , & (