The World Health Organization retains copyright and all other rights in the manuscript of this article as submitted for publication.
Multi-sectoral interventions for healthy growth
Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Maternal & Child Nutrition
Special Issue: Promoting Healthy Growth and Preventing Childhood Stunting
Volume 9, Issue Supplement S2, pages 46–57, September 2013
How to Cite
del Carmen Casanovas, M., Lutter, C. K., Mangasaryan, N., Mwadime, R., Hajeebhoy, N., Aguilar, A. M., Kopp, C., Rico, L., Ibiett, G., Andia, D. and Onyango, A. W. (2013), Multi-sectoral interventions for healthy growth. Maternal & Child Nutrition, 9: 46–57. doi: 10.1111/mcn.12082
- Issue online: 18 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2013
- 2001) Assessment of nutritional status using anthropometric methods on 1–4 year old children in an urban ghetto in Lagos, Nigeria. Nutrition and Health (Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire) 15, 29–39. & (
- Agriculture and Food Commission of Coordination SUD (2008) In defence of family farms: Which ones and why? Overview of the Report produced by the Agriculture and Food Commission of Coordination SUD in 2007. French Ministry of Foreign Affairs: France.
- 2009) Effect of the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness strategy on childhood mortality and nutrition in a rural area in Bangladesh: a cluster randomised trial. Lancet 374, 393–403. (
- 2012) The impact of cash transfers on nutrition in emergency and transitional contexts. A review of evidence. Humanitarian policy Group, ODI: London, UK. & (
- 2010) Health and nutrition of children: equity and social determinants. In: Equity, Social Determinants and Public Health Programmes (eds E. Blas & A.S. Kurup ), pp 49–75. World Health Organization: Geneva, Switzerland. , , & (
- 2008) Can conditional cash transfer programs play a greater role in reducing child undernutrition? World Bank: Washington, DC. (
- 2010) Policy brief. Scaling up nutrition: a framework for action. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 31, 178–186. & (
- 2008) Mainstreaming interventions in the health sector to address maternal and child undernutrition. Maternal & Child Nutrition 4, 1–4. (
- 2008) What works? Interventions for maternal and child undernutrition and survival. Lancet 371, 417–440. , , , , , et al. (
- 2013) Evidence-based interventions for improvement of maternal and child nutrition: what can be done and at what cost? Lancet 382, 452–477. , , , , , et al. (
- 1990) Maternal education, use of health services, and child survival: An analysis of data from the Bolivia DHS Survey. Institute for Resource Development/Macro Systems, Inc. DHS Working Papers series: Columbia, Maryland, USA. & (
- 2008) Maternal and child undernutrition: global and regional exposures and health consequences. Lancet 371, 243–260. , , , , , et al. (
- 2013) Maternal and child undernutrition and overweight in lo-income and middle-income countries. Lancet 382, 427–451. , , , , , et al. (
- 2010) Child nutrition in Mozambique in 2003: the role of mother's schooling and nutrition knowledge. Economics and Human Biology 8, 331–345. (
- 2012) The comparative cost-effectiveness of an equity-focused approach to child survival, health, and nutrition: a modelling approach. Lancet 380, 1341–1351. , , , , , et al. (
- 2008) Multi-country analysis of the effects of diarrhoea on childhood stunting. International Journal of Epidemiology 37, 816–830. , , , , , et al. (
- 2004) Effect of water and sanitation on childhood health in a poor Peruvian peri-urban community. Lancet 363, 112–118. , , , , , et al. (
- 1982) Parental education and child health: intra-country evidence. Health Policy and Education 2, 213–250. , & (
- Codex Alimentarius (1991) Guidelines on formulated supplementary foods for older infants and young children. (CAC/GL08-1991).
- Codex Alimentarius (2006) Standard for processed cereal-based foods for infants and young children (CODEX STAN 74-1981, Rev.1-2006).
- 2009) Planned, motivated and habitual hygiene behaviour: an eleven country review. Health Education Research 24, 655–673. , & (
- 2013) Designing appropriate complementary feeding recommendations: tools for programmatic action. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 116–130. , , , , , et al. (
- 2002) Policy implications of the gradient of health and wealth. Health Affairs 21, 13–30. (
- 2004) Transformative Social Protection. IDS working paper 232. Institute of Development Studies working papers: England. & (
- 1996) Water, waste, and well-being: A multicountry study. American Journal of Epidemiology 143, 608–623. (
- 1992) The complementary effect of latrines and increased water usage on the growth of infants in rural Lesotho. American Journal of Epidemiology 135, 659–666. , & (
- FAO (2012) The State of Food Insecurity in the World. Food and Agriculture Organization: Rome.
- FAO (2013) Synthesis of guiding principles on agriculture programming for nutrition. Final Draft. Food and Agriculture Organization: Rome.
- 2008) Role of cash in conditional cash transfer programmes for child health, growth, and development: an analysis of Mexico's Oportunidades. Lancet 371, 828–837. , & (
- 2013) Position paper on economic arguments for intersectoral interventions that improve the social determinants of health. Mexico, Social Determinant of Health Discussion Paper Series 7 (Policy & Practice) World Health Organization: Geneva. (
- 2011) The effect of water and sanitation on child health: evidence from the demographic and health surveys 1986. International Journal of Epidemiology 40, 1196–1204. , & (
- 2009) Conditional Cash Transfers: Reducing Present and Future Poverty. The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development/World Bank: Washington, DC. & (
- 2010) Conditional cash transfers and health: Unpacking the causal chain. Journal of Development Effectiveness 2, 6–50. , & (
- 2006) Understanding the links between agriculture and health. International Food Policy Research Institute, FOCUS 2010: Washington, DC. & (
- 2008) The impact of conditional cash transfer programs on food consumption in Honduras, Mexico, and Nicaragua. In: Conditional Cash Transfers in Latin America: A Magic Bullet to Reduce Poverty (eds M. Adato & J. Hoddinott ), pp 258–283. IFPRI: Washington, DC. & (
- 2008) Effect of a nutrition intervention during early childhood on economic productivity in Guatemalan adults. Lancet 371, 411–416. , , , & (
- 2013) The economic rationale for investing in stunting reduction. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 69–82. , , & (
- 2009) Child undernutrition, tropical enteropathy, toilets, and handwashing. Lancet 374, 1032–1035. (
- 2012) Environmental enteropathy: critical implications of a poorly understood condition. Trends in Molecular Medicine 18, 328–336. & (
- 1999) A randomized, community-based trial of the effects of improved, centrally processed complementary foods on growth and micronutrient status of Ghanaian infants from 6 to 12 mo of age. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 70, 391–404. , , , & (
- 2012) Global, regional, and national causes of child mortality: an updated systematic analysis for 2010 with time trends since 2000. Lancet 379, 2151–2161. , , , , , et al. (
- 2005) Effect of handwashing on child health: a randomized controlled trial. Lancet 366, 225–233. , , , , , et al. (
- 1991) Intestinal permeability, mucosal injury, and growth faltering in Gambian infants. Lancet 338, 907–910. , & (
- 2011) Undernutrition, poor feeding practices and low coverage of key nutrition interventions. Pediatrics 128, e1–e10. , , , , , et al. (
- 1992) The relationship between energy intake and diarrhoeal disease in their effects on child growth: biological model, evidence and implications for public health policy. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 14, 36–42. , , & (
- 1989) Nutritional supplementation: effect on child stunting because of diarrhea. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 50, 1–8. , , , , , et al. (
- 2013) Key principles to improve programmes and interventions in complementary feeding. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9, (Suppl. 2), 101–115. , , , , , et al. (
- 2005) Impact Evaluation of a conditional cash transfer program: the Nicaraguan Red de Protección Social. Research Report 141. International Food Policy Research Institute: Washington, DC. & (
- 2009) The impact of improving nutrition during early childhood on education among Guatemalan adults. The Economic Journal 119, 734–763. , , , , & (
- 2012) How effective are cash transfer programmes at improving nutritional status? A rapid evidence assessment of programmes' effects on anthropometric outcomes. EPPI-Centre, Social Science Research Unit, Institute of Education, University of London: London. , & (
- 2009) The power of positive deviance. British Medical Journal 329, 1177–1179. , , , & (
- 2012) Fighting maternal and child malnutrition: Analysing the political and institutional determinants of delivering a national multisectoral response in six countries. A synthesis paper. Institute of development Studies, DFID. & (
- 2003) Water and sanitation associated with improved child growth. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 57, 1562–1568. , , , , , et al. (
- Ministerio de Salud y Deportes, Estado Plurinacional de Bolivia (2009) Plan Estratégico 2007–2011 del programa sectorial de Desnutrición Cero. Diciembre 2009. Ministerio de Salud y Deportes: La Paz.
- 2009) Causes of the decline in child under-nutrition in Brazil, 1996–2007. Revista de Saude Publica 43, 35–43. , , , , & (
- 2010) Narrowing socioeconomic inequality in child stunting: the Brazilian experience, 1974–2007. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 88, 305–311. , , , , , et al. (
- 2001) Early childhood diarrhoea and helminthiases associate with long-term linear growth faltering. International Journal of Epidemiology 30, 1457–1464. , , , , & (
- PAHO (2003) Guiding Principles for Complementary Feeding of the Breastfed Child. Pan American Health Organization: Washington, DC.
- 2005) Effectiveness of an educational intervention delivered through the health services to improve nutrition in young children: A cluster-randomized controlled trial. Lancet 365, 1863–1872. , , , , & (
- 2003) Promotion and advocacy for improved complementary feeding: can we apply the lessons learned from breastfeeding? Food and Nutrition Bulletin 24, 29–44. , & (
- 2008) Socioeconomic inequality in malnutrition in developing countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 86, 282–291. , , , & (
- 2006) Household and community socioeconomic and environmental determinants of child nutritional status in Cameroon. BMC Public Health 6, 98. , & (
- 2006) Handwashing and risk of respiratory infections: a quantitative systematic review. Tropical Medicine and International Health 2, 258–267. & (
- 2010) Low dietary diversity is a predictor of child stunting in rural Bangladesh. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 64, 1393–1398. , , , , , et al. (
- 1999) Role of intergenerational effects on linear growth. The Journal of Nutrition 129, 1108–1113. , , & (
- 2012) Right in principle and in practice: a review of the social and economic returns to investing in children. Division of Policy and strategy, UNICEF: New York. , & (
- 2011) Multisector intervention to accelerate reductions in child stunting: an observational study from 9 sub-Saharan African countries. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 94, 1632–1642. , , , , , et al. (
- the Maternal and Child Nutrition Study Group (2013) Nutrition-sensitive interventions and programmes: how can they help to accelerate progress in improving maternal and child nutrition? Lancet Maternal Child and Nutrition Series. Published online June 6, 2013. Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673613608430 (Accessed 8 August 2013). , &
- 1992) The mediating effect of maternal nutrition knowledge on the association between maternal schooling and child nutritional status in Lesotho. American Journal of Epidemiology 135, 904–914. , , & (
- 1999) Good Care Practices can Mitigate the Negative Effects of Poverty and Low Maternal Schooling on Children's Nutritional Status: Evidence from Accra. International Food Policy Research Institute: Washington, DC. , , , & (
- 2010) La agricultura familiar es el colchón ante shocks externos. Revista IICA 5, 14–15. (
- 2005) Evaluation of the impact of a nutritional program for undernourished children in Brazil. Cadernos de Saude Publica 21, 776–785. , , , , & (
- 2010) The effectiveness of structured discharge education on maternal confidence, caring knowledge and growth of premature newborns. Journal of Clinical Nursing 19, 3307–3313. , , , , , et al. (
- 2012) Food chain myotoxin exposure, gut health, and impaired growth: A conceptual framework. Advances in Nutrition 3, 526–531. , & (
- 2009) Conditional cash transfer in Brazil, Chile and Mexico: Impacts upon inequality. Estudios Económicos Numero extraordinario, 207–224. , , , & (
- 1993) The underprivileged, developing country child: environmental contamination and growth failure revisited. Nutrition Reviews 51, 327–332. , , & (
- 2013) Contextualizing complementary feeding in a broader framework for stunting prevention. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 27–45. , , , & (
- 2011) Is economic growth associated with reduction in child undernutrition in India? PLoS Medicine 8, e1000424. , , & (
- 2013) Effectiveness of nutrition training of health workers toward improving caregivers' feeding practices for children aged six months to two years: a systematic review. Nutrition Journal 12, 66. , , , , , et al. (
- 2011) Health-financing reforms in southeast Asia: challenges in achieving universal coverage. Lancet 377, 863–873. , , , , , et al. (
- UNICEF (1990) Strategy for improved nutrition of children and women in developing countries: A UNICEF Policy Review. United Nations Children's Fund: New York.
- UNICEF (2009) Tracking Progress on Child and Maternal Nutrition. A Survival and Development Priority. United Nations Children's Fund: New York.
- UNICEF & WHO (2009) Diarrhoea: Why Children Are Dying and What Can be Done UNICEF: New York, WHO Geneva.
- UNICEF & WHO (2012) Progress on Drinking Water and Sanitation, 2012 Update. UNICEF: New York, WHO Geneva.
- 2008) Maternal and child undernutrition: consequences for adult health and human capital. Lancet 371, 340–357. , , , , , et al. (
- 2012) How changes in coverage affect equity in maternal and child health interventions in 35 Countdown to 2015 countries: an analysis of national surveys. Lancet 380, 1149–1156. , , , , , et al. (
- 2009) Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Interventions to Combat Childhood Diarrhoea in Developing Countries. International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie): New Delhi. , , & (
- WFP (2012) Who are the hungry. Available at: http://www.wfp.org/hunger/who-are (Accessed 15 February 2013).
- WHO (2006) Five keys to safer food manual. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO (2011a) Education: Shared Interests in Well-Being and Development. Social determinants of health sectoral briefing series 2. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO (2011b) Guideline: Use of multiple micronutrient powders for home fortification of foods consumed by infants and children 6–23 months of age. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO (2013) Essential Nutrition Actions: improving maternal, newborn, infant and young child health and nutrition. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO & Government of South Australia (2010) Adelaide Statement on Health in All Policies: Moving Towards a Shared Governance for Health and Well-Being. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO & UNICEF (2003) Global Strategy for Infant and Young Child Feeding. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO & UNICEF (2009) Global Action Plan for the Prevention and Control of Pneumonia (GAPP). World Health Organization: Geneva.
- World Bank (1993) World Development Report 1993: Investing in Health. Oxford University Press: New York.
- World Bank (2007) World Development Report 2008: Agriculture for Development. The World Bank: Washington, DC.
- World Bank (2013) Improving nutrition through multisectoral approaches. The World Bank: Washington, DC.
- 2013) Effectiveness of an educational intervention to improve child feeding practices and growth in rural China: updated results at 18 months of age. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9, 118–129. , , , & (