The Pan American Health Organization retains copyright and all other rights in the manuscript of this article as submitted for publication.
Key principles to improve programmes and interventions in complementary feeding
Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Maternal & Child Nutrition
Special Issue: Promoting Healthy Growth and Preventing Childhood Stunting
Volume 9, Issue Supplement S2, pages 101–115, September 2013
How to Cite
Lutter, C. K., Iannotti, L., Creed-Kanashiro, H., Guyon, A., Daelmans, B., Robert, R. and Haider, R. (2013), Key principles to improve programmes and interventions in complementary feeding. Maternal & Child Nutrition, 9: 101–115. doi: 10.1111/mcn.12087
- Issue online: 18 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 SEP 2013
- 2009) Effect of the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness strategy on childhood mortality and nutrition in a rural area in Bangladesh: a cluster randomised trial. Lancet 374, 393–403. (
- 2011) Motivaciones Y Percepciones Sobre las Prácticas de Alimentación Infantil: Investigación Formativa Desarrollada por el Proyecto Ventana de Oportunidad. CARE Peru: Lima, Peru. , , , , , et al. (
- 2011) Responsive feeding and child undernutrition in low- and middle-income countries. Journal of Nutrition Education 141, 502–507. , & (
- 2004) A review of the effectiveness of agriculture interventions in improving nutrition outcomes. Public Health Nutrition 7, 599–609. , & (
- 2005) Use of multiple opportunities for improving feeding practices in under-twos within child health programmes. Health Policy and Planning 20, 328–336. , , , , , et al. (
- 2011) Improvement of perinatal and newborn care in rural Pakistan through community-based strategies: a cluster-randomised effectiveness trial. Lancet 377, 403–412. , , , , , et al. (
- 2006) The stepped wedge trial design: a systematic review. BMC Medical Research Methodology 6, 54. doi:10.1186/1471-2288-6-54. & (
- IMCE-IMCI Technical Advisors (2005) Programmatic pathways to child survival: results of a multi-country evaluation of Integrated Management of Childhood Illness. Health Policy Plan 20 (Suppl. 1), i5–i17. , , , , &
- 2005) Impact of a homestead gardening program on household food security and empowerment of women in Bangladesh. Food & Nutrition Bulletin 6, 17–25. , , , , , et al. (
- 2013) Multisectoral interventions for healthy growth. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 46–57. , , , , , et al. (
- 2004) Targeting of Transfers in Developing Countries: Review of Lessons and Experiences. Regional and Sectoral Studies. World Bank: Washington, DC. , & (
- 2013) Designing appropriate complementary feeding recommendations: new tools for programmatic action. Maternal & Child Nutrition. 9 (Suppl. 2), 116–130. , , , , , et al. (
- 2002) What influences health behavior? Learning from caregivers of young children in Viet Nam. Food & Nutrition Bulletin 23, 117–127. , , , , , & (
- 2008) Systematic review of the efficacy and effectiveness of complementary feeding interventions in developing countries. Maternal & Child Nutrition 4 (Suppl. 1), 24–85. & (
- 1997) Designing by Dialogue: A Program Planners' Guide to Consultative Research for Improving Young child Feeding. Washington DC, Academy for Education Development/The Manoff Group. , & (
- ESPGHAN Committee on Nutrition, , , , , , et al. (2008) Complementary feeding: a commentary by the ESPGHAN committee on nutrition. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition 46, 99–110.
- 2011) The effect of water and sanitation on child health: evidence from the demographic and health surveys 1986–2007. International Journal of Epidemiology 40, 1196–1204. , & (
- 2003) The Intervention Matrix. The Johns Hopkins University Center for Injury Research and Policy: Baltimore. & (
- 2003) Sociocultural and household factors impacting on the selection, allocation and consumption of animal source foods: current knowledge and application. Journal of Nutrition 133, 4036S–4041S. & (
- 2008) For Protecion and Promotion: The Design and Implementation of Effective Safety Nets. World Bank: Washington, DC. , & (
- 2009) Implementing an integrated nutrition package at large scale in Madagascar: the Essential Nutrition Actions framework. Food & Nutrition Bulletin 30, 233–244. , , , , , et al. (
- 1999) Evaluation designs for adequacy, plausibility and probability of public health programme performance and impact. International Journal of Epidemiology 28, 10–18. , & (
- 2000) Effect of community-based peer counsellors on exclusive breastfeeding practices in Dhaka, Bangladesh: a cluster randomized controlled trial. Lancet 356, 1643–1647. , , & (
- 2009) Diversifying into healthy diets: homestead food production in Bangladesh. In: Millions Fed: Proven Successes in Agricultural Development (eds D.J. Spielman & R. Pandya-Lorch ), pp 145–151. International Food Policy Research Institute: Washington, DC. , & (
- 2013) Review of milk and dairy programmes affecting nutrition. Journal of Development Effectiveness 5, 82–115. , & (
- 2009) Health Program Planning and Evaluation: A Practical and Systematic Approach for Community Health, 2nd edn. Jones and Bartlett Learning: Sudbury, MA. (
- 2009) Reframing the dissemination challenge: a marketing and distribution perspective. American Journal of Public Health 99, 2123–2127. & (
- 2011) Undernutrition, poor feeding practices and low coverage of key nutrition interventions. Pediatrics 128, e1–e10. , , , , , et al. (
- 2012) Effectiveness of agricultural interventions that aim to improve nutritional status of children: systematic review. British Medical Journal 344, d8222. doi: 10.1136/bmj.d8222. , , & (
- 2006) Program Evaluation and Performance Measurement: An Introduction to Practice. Sage Publications, Inc: Thousand Oaks, CA. & (
- 2009) Assessing impact and impact pathways of a homestead food production program on household and child nutrition in Cambodia. Food & Nutrition Bulletin 30, 355–369. , , , & (
- Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (2003) Guiding Principles for Complementary Feeding of the Breastfed Child. Pan American Health Organization: Washington, DC.
- 2011) Beyond food in security: how context can improve complementary feeding interventions. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 32, 244–253. , , , , & (
- 2005) Effectiveness of an educational intervention delivered through the health services to improve nutrition in young children: a cluster-randomized controlled trial. Lancet 365, 1863–1872. , , , , & (
- 2006) The Essential Nutrition Actions: Findings from the Baseline Surveys of 2003–04 Conducted ESHE II Project Sites in Amhara, Oromia and SNNPR Regions of Ethiopia. The LINKAGES Project. Academy for Educational Development:Washington, DC. Available at: http://www.aedlinkagesethiopia.org/My_Homepage_Files/Download/ESHE%20Baseline%20report.pdf (Accessed 7 August 2013). , , & (
- 2005) ) Improving breastfeeding practices on a broad scale at the community level: success stories from Africa and Latin America. Journal of Human Lactation 21, 345–354. , , , , & (
- 2013) Does implementation of the IMCI strategy have an impact on child mortality? A retrospective analysis of routine data from Egypt. BMJ Open 3, e001852. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2012-001852. , , , , , et al. (
- 2011) Why does nutrition deteriorate rapidly among children under 2 years of age? Using qualitative methods to understand community perspectives on complementary feeding practices in Bangladesh. Food & Nutritin Bulletin 32, 192–200. , , , , , et al. (
- 2006) Process evaluation determines the pathway to success for a health center-delivered, nutrition education intervention for infants in Trujillo. Journal of Nutrition 136, 634–641. , , , , , & (
- 2007) Implementation examined in a health center-delivered, educational intervention that improved infant growth in Trujillo, Peru: successes and challenges. Health Education Research 22, 318–331. , , , , , et al. (
- the Maternal and Child Nutrition Study Group (2013) Nutrition-sensitive interventions and programmes: how can they help to accelerate progress in improving maternal and child nutrition? Lancet Maternal and Child Nutrition Series. Published online June 6, 2013. Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673613608430 (Accessed 7 August 2013). , &
- 2005) Evaluation of the impact of a nutritional program for undernourished children in Brazil. Cadernos de Saude Publica 21, 776–785. , , , , & (
- 2013) Contextualizing complementary feeding in a broader framework for stunting prevention. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 27–45. , , , & (
- USAID (undated) Essential Services for Health in Ethiopia. Final Report November 2003–September 2008. US Agency for International Development: Washington DC. Available at: http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PDACP065.pdf (Accessed 7 August 2013).
- USAID (2008) End-line Household Survey Results. Southern Nations, Nationalities, and People Region. Essential Service for Health in Ethiopia/US Agency for International Development: Addis Ababa.
- 2005) Context matters: interpreting impact findings in child survival evaluations. Health Policy Plan 20 (Suppl. 1), i18–i31. , , , , , et al. (
- 2009) Evaluating child survival programmes. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 87, 83. , & (
- 2008) Levels and Patterns of Safety Net Spending in Developing and Transition Countries. Social Protection Discussion Paper. World Bank: Washington, DC. & (
- WHO (2003) Health Facility Survey: Tool to Evaluate the Quality of Care Delivered to Sick Children Attending Outpatient Facilities. World Health Organization: Geneva. Available at: http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/9241545860/en/index.html (Accessed 7 August 2013).
- WHO & UNICEF (2006) Infant and Young Child Feeding Counseling: An Integrated Course. World Health Organization: Geneva. Available at: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2006/9789241594745_eng.pdf (Accessed 7 August 2013).
- WHO & UNICEF (2011) Integrated Management of Childhood Illness: Caring for Newborns and Children in the Community. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO & UNICEF (2012) Countdown to 2015: Building Healthy Futures for Women and Children. The 2012 report. World Health Organization: Geneva.
- WHO, BASICS, UNICEF (1999) Nutrition Essenitals: A guide for Health Managers. World Health Organization: Geneva. Available at: http://www.basics.org/documents/pdf/NutritionEssentials_English.pdf (Accessed 7 August 2013).
- WHO, United States Agency for International Development, Academy for Educational Development, University of California, Davis & UNICEF (2008) Indicators for assessing infant and young child feeding practices. Part I Definitions. World Health Organization: Geneva.