The World Health Organization retains copyright and all other rights in the manuscript of this article as submitted for publication.
Promoting healthy growth and preventing childhood stunting: a global challenge
Article first published online: 18 SEP 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Maternal & Child Nutrition
Special Issue: Promoting Healthy Growth and Preventing Childhood Stunting
Volume 9, Issue Supplement S2, pages 1–5, September 2013
How to Cite
Onyango, A. W. (2013), Promoting healthy growth and preventing childhood stunting: a global challenge. Maternal & Child Nutrition, 9: 1–5. doi: 10.1111/mcn.12092
- Issue published online: 18 SEP 2013
- Article first published online: 18 SEP 2013
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- for the Maternal and Child Undernutrition Study Group (2008) What works? Interventions for maternal and child undernutrition and survival. Lancet 371, 417–440. , , , , , et al.
- 2013) Evidence-based interventions for improvement of maternal and child nutrition: what can be done and at what cost? Lancet 382, 452–477. , , , , , et al. (
- 2013) Maternal and child undernutrition and overweight in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet 382, 427–451. , , , , , et al. (
- 2013) Multi-sectoral interventions for healthy growth. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 46–57. , , , , , et al. (
- 2005) Wicked problems and social complexity. In: Dialogue Mapping: Building Shared Understanding of Wicked Problems (ed. J. Conklin ), pp. 3–40. CogNexus Institute: Nopa, CA. Available at: http://www.cognexus.org/wpf/wickedproblems.pdf (accessed 12 August 2013). (
- 2013) Designing appropriate complementary feeding recommendations: tools for programmatic action. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 116–130. , , , , , et al. (
- 2009) Maternal, infant, and young child nutrition: combining efforts to maximize impacts on child growth and micronutrient status. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 30, S187–S189. & (
- for the WHO Multicentre Growth Reference Study Group (2013) Parental height and child growth from birth to two years in the WHO Multicentre Growth Reference Study. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 58–68. , , , &
- the Maternal and Child Nutrition Study Group (2013) The politics of reducing malnutrition: building commitment and accelerating progress. Lancet 382, 552–569. , , , , &
- 2013) Introducing infant and young child feeding indicators into national nutrition surveillance systems: lessons from Vietnam. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 131–149. , , & (
- 2013) The economic rationale for investing in stunting reduction. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 69–82. , , , & (
- 2013) Key principles to improve programmes and interventions in complementary feeding. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 101–115. , , , , , et al. (
- 2013) The World Health Organization's global target for reducing childhood stunting by 2025: rationale and proposed actions. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 6–26. , , , , , et al. (
- 2013) The principles and practices of nutrition advocacy: evidence, experience and the way forward for stunting reduction. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 83–100. , , , , & (
- the Maternal and Child Nutrition Study Group (2013) Nutrition-sensitive interventions and programmes: how can they help to accelerate progress in improving maternal and child nutrition? Lancet 382, 536–551. , &
- 2013) Contextualizing complementary feeding in a broader framework for stunting prevention. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9 (Suppl. 2), 27–45. , , , & (
- United Kingdom Government, Children's Investment Fund Foundation, Governo Federal Brasil (2013) Global Nutrition for Growth Compact. Available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/207272/Global-Nutrition-for-Growth-Compact-Final.pdf (accessed 12 August 2013).
- United Nations Secretary General (2012) Zero Hunger Challenge. Available at: http://un-foodsecurity.org/sites/default/files/EN_ZeroHungerChallenge.pdf (accessed 12 August 2013).
- 2010) Worldwide timing of growth faltering: revisiting implications for interventions. Pediatrics 125, e473–e480. , , , & (
- WHA (2012) Comprehensive implementation plan on maternal, infant and young child nutrition. Sixty-fifth World Health Assembly, Geneva, 21–26 May 2012. Available at: http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA65-REC1/A65_REC1-en.pdf, p.12–13 (Accessed 10 August 2013).
- WHO MGRS Group (2006) Assessment of differences in linear growth among populations in the WHO Multicentre Growth Reference Study. Acta Paediatrica 95 (Suppl. 450), 56–65.
- WHO, UNICEF, USAID, AED, UC DAVIS & IFPRI (2008) Indicators for Assessing Infant and Young Child Feeding Practices. Part I: Definitions. World Health Organization: Geneva.