Qualitative synthesis and systematic review in health professions education
Article first published online: 8 FEB 2013
© Blackwell Publishing Ltd 2013
Volume 47, Issue 3, pages 252–260, March 2013
How to Cite
Bearman, M. and Dawson, P. (2013), Qualitative synthesis and systematic review in health professions education. Medical Education, 47: 252–260. doi: 10.1111/medu.12092
- Issue published online: 8 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 8 FEB 2013
- Received 4 June 2012; editorial comments to authors 24 July 2012, 21 September 2012; accepted for publication 2 October 2012
- 1Concise Oxford English Dictionary, 12th edn. Soanes C, Stevenson A, eds. Oxford: Oxford University Press 2008.
- 3Cochrane Collaboration. Cochrane Reviews. Oxford: Cochrane Collaboration 2012. http://www.cochrane.org/cochrane-reviews . [Accessed 1 June 2012.]
- 4Realist review – a new method of systematic review designed for complex policy interventions. J Health Serv Res Policy2005;10 (Suppl 1):21–34., , , .
- 5Synthesizing Qualitative and Quantitative Health Evidence. Maidenhead: Open University Press 2007;78., , .
- 6A Guide to Synthesising Qualitative Research for Researchers Undertaking Health Technology Assessments and Systematic Reviews. National Health Service Quality Improvement Scotland 2010. http://www.nhshealthquality.org/nhsqis/8837.html. [Accessed 23 December 2012.], , , .
- 8Methods for the synthesis of qualitative research: a critical review. BMC Med Res Methodol2009;9:59., .
- 9Scientific guidelines for conducting integrative research reviews. Rev Educ Res1982;52 (2):291–302..
- 10The elephant in the living room: or extending the conversation about the politics of evidence. Qual Res2009;9 (2):139–60..
- 11How can systematic reviews incorporate qualitative research? A critical perspective. Qual Res2006;6 (1):27–44., , , , , , , , .
- 14Advancements in research synthesis methods: from a methodologically inclusive perspective. Rev Educ Res2009;79 (1):395–430., .
- 15Clarity bordering on stupidity: where’s the quality in systematic review?J Educ Pol2005;20 (4):393–416..
- 16Systematic review methodology in higher education. High Educ Res Dev2012;31 (5):625–40., , , , , ,
- 18The crisis in educational research: a pragmatic approach. Eur Educ Res J2003;2 (2):296–308..
- 19Internet-based medical education: a realist review of what works, for whom and in what circumstances. BMC Med Educ2010;10:12., , .
- 20Meta-ethnography: Synthesising Qualitative Studies. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Sage 1988., .
- 21Reflection and reflective practice in health professions education: a systematic review. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract2009;14 (4):595–621., , .
- 23Computerised virtual patients in health professions education: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acad Med2010;85 (10):1589–602., , .
- 24Using interpretative meta-ethnography to explore the relationship between innovative approaches to learning and their influence on faculty understanding of teaching. High Educ2007;54 (6):833–52., .
- 25Are journal clubs effective in supporting evidence-based decision making? A systematic review. BEME Guide No. 16. Med Teach2011;33 (1):9–23., , , , , , .
- 27Systematically reviewing qualitative and quantitative evidence to inform management and policy-making in the health field. J Health Serv Res Policy2005;10 (Suppl):6–20., , .
- 28Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications 2001;41.
- 30A worked example of ‘best fit’ framework synthesis: a systematic review of views concerning the taking of some potential chemopreventive agents. BMC Med Res Methodol2011;11:29., , .