This paper was delivered in this form at a Macquarie University symposium on Jennifer Radden's On Delusion. I am grateful to Jennifer for writing the book, to Max Coltheart for organising the symposium, for my co-symposiasts and a referee for Mind & Language for their comments.
Delusions, Modernist Epistemology and Irrational Belief
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Mind & Language
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 113–124, February 2013
How to Cite
Murphy, D. (2013), Delusions, Modernist Epistemology and Irrational Belief. Mind & Language, 28: 113–124. doi: 10.1111/mila.12012
- Issue published online: 1 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2013
- American Psychiatric Association 2000: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-IV-TR, 4th edn., Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR). Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association.
- 2001: Religion Explained. New York: Basic Books.
- 2011: Intuitive expectations and the detection of mental disorder: a cognitive background to folk-psychiatries, Philosophical Psychology, 24, 95–118.
- 2002: Lack of Character. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 2003: Schizophrenia: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press. and
- 2007: Lay conceptions of mental disorder: the folk psychiatry model. Australian Psychologist, 42, 129–37. , Ban. L. and
- 1978: Planck's Principle. Science, 202, 717–23. , and
- 1997. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press. 1963: General Psychopathology, trans. J. Hoenig and M. W.Hamilton; repr.
- 1993: The Nature of Rationality. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University press.
- 2011: On Delusion. London: Routledge.
- 2007: Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry, Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. and .
- 2009: Delusions as a natural kind. In M. Broome and L. Bortolotti (eds), Psychiatry as Cognitive Neuroscience: Philosophical Perspectives. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 1994: DSM-IV Casebook. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Association. , , , and