SYMPOSIUM ON READING IN THE BRAIN BY STANISLAS DEHAENE
Reading in the Brain Revised and Extended: Response to Comments
Version of Record online: 4 JUN 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Mind & Language
Volume 29, Issue 3, pages 320–335, June 2014
How to Cite
DEHAENE, S. (2014), Reading in the Brain Revised and Extended: Response to Comments. Mind & Language, 29: 320–335. doi: 10.1111/mila.12053
- Issue online: 4 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 4 JUN 2014
- 2000: Developing normal reading skills: aspects of the visual processes underlying word recognition. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 76(2), 123–50. and
- 2009: Reduced neural integration of letters and speech sounds links phonological and reading deficits in adult dyslexia. Current Biology, 19(6), 503–8. , , , and
- 2013: Intact but less accessible phonetic representations in adults with dyslexia. Science, 342(6163), 1251–4. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006 : Specialization of phonological and semantic processing in Chinese word reading. Brain Research, 1071, 197–207. doi:10.1016/j.brainres.2005.11.097 , , , ., , ., et al.
- 2014: Anatomical connections of the visual word form area. Journal of Neuroscience, submitted. , ., ., ., ., . and .
- 2010: Brain sensitivity to print emerges when children learn letter-speech sound correspondences. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 107(17), 7939–44. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004: Underlying principles of visual shape selectivity in posterior inferotemporal cortex. Nature Neuroscience, 7(8), 880–6. and
- 2006: Dynamic shape synthesis in posterior inferotemporal cortex. Neuron, 49, 17–24. and
- 2010: The left ventral occipito-temporal response to words depends on language lateralization but not on visual familiarity. Cerebral Cortex, 20, 1153–63. , , , and
- 2011: Cortical representations of symbols, objects and faces are pruned back during early childhood. Cerebral Cortex, 21, 191–9. , , and
- 2009: An anatomical signature for literacy. Nature, 461(7266), 983–6. , , , , , and
- 2004: Is there a causal link from phonological awareness to success in learning to read? Cognition, 91, 77–111. and
- 1999: Influence of learning to read and write on the morphology of the corpus callosum. European Journal of Neurology, 6, 23–8. , , , , , and
- 2010: Categorical speech representation in human superior temporal gyrus. Nature Neuroscience, 13(11), 1428–32. , , , , and
- 2005: Character complexity and redundancy in writing systems over human history. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 272(1560), 267–75. and
- 2006: The structures of letters and symbols throughout human history are selected to match those found in objects in natural scenes. The American Naturalist, 167(5), E117–39. , , and
- 1998: Psychophysics of reading. XVIII. The effect of print size on reading speed in normal peripheral vision. Vision Research, 38(19), 2949–62. , and
- 2008: Reading normal and degraded words: contribution of the dorsal and ventral visual pathways. Neuroimage, 40, 353–66. , , , and
- 2005: The neural code for written words: a proposal. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 9(7), 335–41. , , and
- 2011: Apprendre à lire: Des sciences cognitives à la salle de classe. Paris: Editions Odile Jacob. , , , and
- 2010a: Why do children make mirror errors in reading? Neural correlates of mirror invariance in the visual word form area. Neuroimage, 49(2), 1837–48. , , , , and
- 2010b: How learning to read changes the cortical networks for vision and language. Science, 330(6009), 1359–64. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012: How does the brain solve visual object recognition? Neuron, 73(3), 415–34. , and
- 2007: Semantic associations between signs and numerical categories in the prefrontal cortex. PLoS Biology, 5(11), e294. and
- 2004: The nature of the mental representation of radicals in Chinese: a priming study. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 30(2), 530–9. , and
- 2012: The joint development of hemispheric lateralization for words and faces. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 142, 348–58. , and
- 2000: Visual-spatial attention in developmental dyslexia. Cortex, 36, 109–23. , , , and
- 2012: A causal link between visual spatial attention and reading acquisition. Current Biology, 22(9), 814–819. , , , and
- 2013: Action video games make dyslexic children read better. Current Biology, 23(6), 462–6. , , , , and
- 2010: Functional compartmentalization and viewpoint generalization within the macaque face-processing system. Science, 330(6005), 845–51. and
- 2005: A theory of cortical responses. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 360(1456), 815–36. doi:10.1098/rstb.2005.1622
- 2012: Orthographic processing in Baboons (Papio papio). Science, 336(6078), 245–8. , , , and
- 2004: Learning letters in adulthood: direct visualization of cortical plasticity for forming a new link between orthography and phonology. Neuron, 42(2), 311–22. and
- 2005: A prototype of Homo-Faber: a silent precursor of human intelligence in the tool-using monkey brain. In S. Dehaene, J. R. Duhamel, M. Hauser and G. Rizzolatti (eds), From Monkey Brain to Human Brain. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, pp. 133–57.
- 2012: Learning and disrupting invariance in visual recognition with a temporal association rule. Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience, 6. doi:10.3389/fncom.2012.00037 , and
- 2008: The discovery of structural form. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 105(31), 10687–92. and
- 2011: Enantiomorphy through the looking-glass: literacy effects on mirror-image discrimination. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 140(2), 210–38. , , , , and
- 2004: Orthographic and phonological processing of Chinese characters: an fMRI study. Neuroimage, 21, 1721–31. , , , , , , , , and
- 2004 :Neuronal correlates of consistency and frequency effects on Chinese character naming : an event-related fMRI study, Neuroimage, 23, 1235–45. , , , , , et al.
- 1985: Psychophysics of reading. I. Normal vision. Vision Research, 25(2), 239–52. , , and
- 2013: Neural competition as a developmental process: early hemispheric specialization for word processing delays specialization for face processing. Neuropsychologia, 51(5), 950–9. , , , , and
- 2006: Bayesian inference with probabilistic population codes. Nature Neuroscience, 9(11), 1432–8. , , and
- 2000: A visually based developmental reading deficit. Journal of Memory and Language, 43, 157–81. and
- 2013: How reading acquisition changes children's spoken language network. Brain and Language, 127(3), 356–65. and
- 2012: Cortical networks for vision and language in dyslexic and normal children of variable socio-economic status. Neuroimage, 61, 258–74. , , , and
- 2003: Broca's area and the language instinct. Nature Neuroscience, 6(7), 774–81. , , , , , and
- 2012: Universal brain systems for recognizing word shapes and handwriting gestures during reading. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 109(50), 20762–7. , , , , and
- 2006: Reexamining the word length effect in visual word recognition: new evidence from the English Lexicon Project. Psychonomic Bulletin and Review, 13, 45–52. , , and
- 2013: Literacy breaks mirror invariance for visual stimuli: a behavioral study with adult illiterates. Journal of Experimental Psychology. General. doi:10.1037/a0033198 , , , , , , et al.
- 2011: Breaking the symmetry: mirror discrimination for single letters but not for pictures in the Visual Word Form Area. Neuroimage, 55(2), 742–9. , , and
- 2006: Feature detection and letter identification. Vision Research, 46(28), 4646–74. , , and
- 2011: A tutorial introduction to Bayesian models of cognitive development. Cognition, 120(3), 302–21. , , and
- 2011: Superior parietal lobule dysfunction in a homogeneous group of dyslexic children with a visual attention span disorder. Brain and Language, 118(3), 128–38. , , , and
- 2012: Neural dissociation of phonological and visual attention span disorders in developmental dyslexia: FMRI evidence from two case reports. Brain and Language, 120(3), 381–94. , , , , , and
- 2009: Beyond hemispheric dominance: brain regions underlying the joint lateralization of language and arithmetic to the left hemisphere. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, 22, 48–66. and
- 2011: A ventral visual stream reading center independent of visual experience. Current Biology, 21(5), 363–8. , , and
- 2009: The graphemic/motor frontal area Exner's area revisited. Annals of Neurology, 66(4), 537–45. , , , , , and
- 2007: A feedforward architecture accounts for rapid categorization. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 104(15), 6424–9. , and
- 2005: Top-down reorganization of activity in the visual pathway after learning a shape identification task. Neuron, 46(5), 823–35. , , , , and
- 2010: Short-term language experience shapes the plasticity of the visual word form area. Brain Research, 1316, 83–91. , , , and
- 2012: Behavioral and anatomical consequences of early versus late symbol training in macaques. Neuron, 73(3), 608–19. , , , and
- 2012: Reading with sounds: sensory substitution selectively activates the visual word form area in the blind. Neuron, 76(3), 640–52. , , and
- 2011: Specialization for written words over objects in the visual cortex. Neuroimage, 56, 330–44. , , , , , and
- 2012: Reading acquisition enhances an early visual process of contour integration. Developmental Science, 15, 139–49. , , and
- 2014: Effects of literacy in early visual and occipitotemporal areas of Chinese and French readers. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience, in press. , , , and .
- 2009: Attention training and attention state training. Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 13(5), 222–7. and
- 2011: How to grow a mind: statistics, structure and abstraction. Science, 331(6022), 1279–85. , , and
- 2012: Learning to read improves the structure of the arcuate fasciculus. Cerebral Cortex, 24, 989–95. , , , and
- 2007: Object recognition and segmentation by a fragment-based hierarchy. Trends in Cognitive Science, 11(2), 58–64.
- 2012: Theory learning as stochastic search in the language of thought. Cognitive Development, 27, 455–80. , and
- 2010: Dyslexia: a deficit in visuo-spatial attention, not in phonological processing. Trends in Cognitive Science, 14(2), 57–63. and
- 2010: Attentional focus during learning impacts N170 ERP responses to an artificial script. Developmental Neuropsychology, 35(4), 423–45. , , and
- 2005: Word length effect in early reading and in developmental dyslexia. Brain and Language, 93(3), 369–73. , , , , and