Patterns and trends in the diet of long-finned pilot whales (Globicephala melas) in the northeast Atlantic
Article first published online: 5 FEB 2013
© 2013 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 1–19, January 2014
How to Cite
Santos, M. B., Monteiro, S. S., Vingada, J. V., Ferreira, M., López, A., Martínez Cedeira, J. A., Reid, R. J., Brownlow, A. and Pierce, G. J. (2014), Patterns and trends in the diet of long-finned pilot whales (Globicephala melas) in the northeast Atlantic. Marine Mammal Science, 30: 1–19. doi: 10.1111/mms.12015
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 5 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 17 APR 2012
- Spanish Ministry of Education
- Programa Nacional de Movilidad de Recursos Humanos de Investigación. Grant Number: PR-2010-0518
- Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia. Grant Number: ref SFRH/BD/38735/2007
- EEA Financial Mechanism
- European Union–Program Life+
- programs of the Dirección Xeral de Conservación da Natureza of the Xunta de Galicia
- Defra and Marine Scotland
- 1974. A new look at the statistical model identification. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 19:716–723. .
- 2008. Habitat use and preferences of cetaceans along the continental slope and the adjacent pelagic waters in the western Ligurian Sea. Deep-Sea Research Part I-Oceanographic Research Papers 55:296–323. , , and .
- 2002. Diving and night-time behavior of long-finned pilot whales in the Ligurian Sea. Marine Ecology Progress Series 237:301–305. , , and .
- 2009. Stomach contents of long-finned pilot whales, Globicephala melas, mass-stranded on Farewell Spit, Golden Bay in 2005 and 2008. New Zealand Journal of Zoology 36:47–58. , and .
- 2007. Notes on New Zealand mammals 6. Second report on the stomach contents of long-finned pilot whales, Globicephala melas. New Zealand Journal of Zoology 34:359–362. , , and .
- 2002. Distribution and abundance of Eledone cirrhosa (Lamarck, 1798) and Eledone moschata (Lamarck, 1798) (Cephalopoda: Octopoda) in the Mediterranean Sea. Scientia Marina 66:143–155. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Diet of the bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) in the western Mediterranean Sea. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 81:1053–1058. , and .
- 1993. Age and growth parameters of the long-finned pilot whale off the Faroe Islands. Report of the International Whaling Commision (Special Issue 14):163–207. , and .
- 2003. Short-term movements of long-finned pilot whales Globicephala melas around the Faroe Islands. Wildlife Biology 9:47–58. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Monthly variation in the diet of harbour seals in inshore waters along the southeast Shetland (UK) coastline. Marine Ecology Progress Series 167:275–289. , and .
- 1986. A handbook for the identification of cephalopod beaks. Clarendon Press, Oxford, U.K. .
- 1989. Length/weight relationships for 88 species of fish encountered in the North East Atlantic. Scottish Fisheries Research Report 43:1–81. , , , and .
- 1993. Preliminary results on the diet of long-finned pilot whales off the Faroe Islands. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 14):305–324. , and .
- 2008a. Summer spatial distribution of cetaceans in the Strait of Gibraltar in relation to the oceanographic context. Marine Ecology Progress Series 353:275–288. , , , , and .
- 2008b. Diet of the social groups of long-finned pilot whales (Globicephala melas) in the Strait of Gibraltar. Marine Biology 154:603–612. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Population structure of long-finned pilot whales in the North Atlantic: A correlation with sea surface temperature? Molecular Ecology 9:949–958. , , , , and .
- 1997. Feeding ecology of long-finned pilot whales Globicephala melas in the western North Atlantic. Marine Ecology Progress Series 148:1–10. , , , and .
- 1994. Diets of marine mammals stranded on the northwestern Spanish Atlantic coast with special reference to Cephalopoda. Fisheries Research 21:179–191. , , and .
- 1992. Mollusca, Cephalopoda. Fauna Ibérica. Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales, CSIC, Madrid, Spain. .
- 1986. Guide to the otoliths of the bony fishes of the northeastern Atlantic. Danbiu Aps. Biological Consultants, Hellerup, Denmark. .
- 2009. Cephalopods in the north-eastern Atlantic: Species, biogeography, ecology, exploitation and conservation. Oceanography and Marine Biology: An Annual Review 47:111–190. , , , , , and .
- 1980. Stomach contents analysis: A review of methods and their application. Journal of Fish Biology 17:411–429.
- ICES. 2000. Report of the Working Group on Cephalopod Fisheries and Life History, Aberdeen, Scotland, 7–11 February 2000. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea CM 2000/G:04. 61 pp.
- ICES. 2011. Report of the Working Group on Cephalopod Fisheries and Life History (WGCEPH), 28 February–3 March 2011, Lisbon, Portugal. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea CM 2011/SSGEF:03. 118 pp.
- 2002. The pelagic fish stocks, pilot whales and squid in Faroese waters - migration pattern, availability to fisheries and possible links to oceanographic events. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea CM N:07. 38 pp. .
- 2007. The habitat preferences of marine mammals west of Scotland (UK). Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 87:157–164. , , and .
- 1975. Modified Leslie-Delury population models of the long-finned pilot whale (Globicephala melas) and annual production of short-finned squid (Illex illecebrosus) based upon their interaction in Newfoundland. Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada 32:1145–1154. .
- 1991. Diet composition of Pilot whales Globicephala sp. and common dolphins Delphinus delphis in the Mid-Atlantic Bight during spring 1989. Fishery Bulletin 89:723–728. , and .
- 1993. The distribution of pilot whales (Globicephala sp.) in shelf/shelf-edge and slope waters of the northeastern United States, 1978–1988. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 14):51–68. , and .
- 2004. Methods for dietary studies on marine mammals. The Mediterranean Science Commission Workshop Monographs 25:29–36. , , , and .
- 2007. Assessing sources of variation underlying estimates of cetacean diet composition: A simulation study on analysis of harbour porpoise diet in Scottish (UK) waters. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 87:213–221. , and .
- 2010a. Trends in cetacean sightings along the Galician coast, north-west Spain, 2003–2007, and inferences about cetacean habitat preferences. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 90:1547–1560. , , , et al.
- 2010b. Cephalopod biology and fisheries in Europe. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea Cooperative Research Report 303. 175 pp. , and , et al.
- 2005. Stomach contents of English Channel cetaceans stranded on the coast of Normandy. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 85:1539–1546. , , , and .
- 2003. Atlas of cetacean distribution in north-west European Waters. Joint Nature Conservation Committee, Peterborough, UK. , and .
- 2001. Cephalopods in the diet of marine mammals stranded or accidentally caught along southeastern and southern Brazil (21–34ºS). Fisheries Research 52:99–112. , and .
- 2007. Variability in the diet of bottlenose dolphin, Tursiops truncatus, in Galician waters, north-western Spain, 1990–2005. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 87:231–241. , , , and .
- 2002. Additional notes on stomach contents of sperm whales Physeter macrocephalus stranded in the north-east Atlantic. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 82:501–507. , , , et al.
- 2004. Variability in the diet of harbor porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) in Scotish waters 1992–2003. Marine Mammal Science 20:1–27. , , , et al.
- 1999. Diet of common dolphins, Delphinus delphis, off the Portuguese continental coast. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 79:531–540. .
- 2011. Prey preferences among the community of deep-diving odontocetes from the Bay of Biscay, Northeast Atlantic. Deep-Sea Research Part I Oceanographic Research Papers 58:273–282. , , , , and .
- 2009. Development and application of DNA techniques for validating and improving pinniped diet estimates. Ecological Applications 19:889–905. , , , et al.
- 2010. Diet. Pages 191–221 in I. Boyd, D. Bowen and S. Iverson, eds. Marine mammal ecology and conservation: A handbook of techniques. Oxford University Press, Oxford, U.K. , , , and .
- 2008. Otolith atlas for the western Mediterranean, north and central eastern Atlantic. Scientia Marina 72:7–198. , and .
- 1997. A guide to the identification of North Sea fish using premaxillae and vertebrae. International Council for the Exploration of the Sea Cooperative Research Report 220. 231 pp. , and .
- 1993. Pilot whale catches in the Faroe Islands, 1709–1992. Report of International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 14):69–88. .
- 2007. Analysing ecological data. Springer, New York, NY. , and .
- 2010. A protocol for data exploration to avoid common statistical problems. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 1:3–14. , and .