False killer whales (Pseudorca crassidens) from Japan and South Africa: Differences in growth and reproduction
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2013
© 2013 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 64–84, January 2014
How to Cite
Ferreira, I. M., Kasuya, T., Marsh, H. and Best, P. B. (2014), False killer whales (Pseudorca crassidens) from Japan and South Africa: Differences in growth and reproduction. Marine Mammal Science, 30: 64–84. doi: 10.1111/mms.12021
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 JUN 2012
- World Wide Fund for Nature
- National Research Foundation
- 1997. Resightings and behavior of false killer whales (Pseudorca crassidens) in Costa Rica. Marine Mammal Science 13:307–314. , , and .
- 1999. Monitoring of progesterone in captive female false killer whales, Pseudorca crassidens. General and Comparative Endocrinology 115:323–332. , , , , and .
- 2008. False killer whale Pseudorca crassidens. Pages 405–406 in W. F. Perrin, B. Würsig and J. G. M. Thewissen, eds. Encyclopedia of marine mammals. 2nd edition. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- 2009. A review of false killer whales in Hawaiian waters: Biology, status, and risk factors. Report prepared for US Marine Mammal Commission (unpublished). 40 pp.
- 2008. False killer whales (Pseudorca crassidens) around the main Hawaiian Islands: Long-term site fidelity, inter-island movements, and association patterns. Marine Mammal Science 24:591–612. , , , et al.
- 2010. Movements and habitat use of satellite-tagged false killer whales around the main Hawaiian islands. Endangered Species Research 10:107–121. , , , , and .
- 2007. Whales and dolphins of the Southern African Subregion. Cambridge University Press, Cape Town, South Africa.
- 1935. Two hundred false killers hurl themselves ashore: A mysterious stranding near the Cape, which is paralleled by cases of false killers recently stranded on the east coast of England. The Illustrated London News, December 21, 1935:1124–1125.
- 2002. Histology of the ovaries of a bottlenose dolphin, Tursiops aduncus, of known reproductive history. Marine Mammal Science 18:540–544. , and .
- 2007. Genetic variation and evidence for population structure in eastern North Pacific false killer whales Pseudorca crassidens. Canadian Journal of Zoology 85:783–794. , , , , and .
- 2010. Evidence of genetic differentiation for Hawai'i insular false killer whales (Pseudorca crassidens). US Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum Series NOAA-TM-NMFS-SWFSC-458. 51 pp. , , , et al.
- 2008. Do ovarian scars persist with age in all cetaceans: New insight from the short-beaked common dolphin (Delphinus delphis Linnaeus, 1758). Marine Biology 156:127–139. , , and .
- 1965. The mode—a neglected statistical parameter. Journal of Royal Statistical Society, Series A 128:110–117. .
- 1993. Reproductive maturity and seasonality of male long-finned pilot whales, off the Faroe Islands. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 14):233–262. , and .
- 1994. A note about a male-only pilot whale school observed in the Faroe Islands. Fróðskaparrit 40:31–37. , , , and .
- 2008. Growth and reproduction in false killer whales (Pseudorca crassidens Owen, 1846). M.Sc. thesis, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa. 152 pp.
- 1985. Fishery-dolphin conflict in the Iki Island area of Japan. Pages 253–273 in J. R. Beddington, R. J. H. Beverton and D. M. Lavigne, eds. Marine mammals and fisheries. George Allen & Unwin, London, U.K.
- 1986. False killer whales. Pages 178–187 in T. Tamura, S. Ohsumi and S. Arai, eds. Report of investigation in search of solution for dolphin-fishery conflict in the Iki Island area. Report prepared for the Japan Fisheries Agency. English translation by N. Inagaki.
- 1984. Life history and reproductive biology of the short-finned pilot whale, Globicephala macrorhynchus, off the Pacific coast of Japan. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 6):259–310. , and .
- 1984. Age determination and growth of the short-finned pilot whale off the Pacific coast of Japan. Scientific Reports of the Whales Research Institute, Tokyo 35:57–91. , and .
- 1993. Life history of short-finned pilot whale stocks off Japan and a description of the fishery. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 14):439–473. , and .
- 1990. Variation in skull and external morphology in the false killer whale, Pseudorca crassidens, from Australia, Scotland and South Africa. Mammalia 54:119–135. , and .
- 1999. Stomach contents of false killer whales (Pseudorca crassidens) stranded on the coasts of the Strait of Magellan, Tierra del Fuego. Marine Mammal Science 15:712–724. , , , and .
- 1956. Growth and sexual maturity in aquatic mammals. Nature 178:193–194 [erratum 299].
- 1984. Changes in the ovaries of the short-finned pilot whale, Globicephala macrorhynchus, with age and reproductive activity. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 6):311–335. , and .
- 1948. Cyclic changes in the uterine mucosa of balaenopterid whales. Journal of Anatomy 4:207–232.
- 1993. Growth in pinnipeds. Biological Reviews 68:1–79.
- 1983. Abundance of dolphin stocks in the western North Pacific taken by the Japanese drive fishery. Report of the International Whaling Commission 43:417–437. .
- 2010. The value of ex situ cetacean populations in understanding reproductive physiology and developing assisted reproductive technology for ex situ and in situ species management and conservation needs. International Journal of Comparative Physiology 23:227–248. , and .
- 1999. False killer whale Pseudorca crassidens (Owen, 1846). Pages 213–243 in S. H. Ridgway and R. J. Harrison, eds. Handbook of marine mammals. Volume VI. The second book of dolphins and the porpoises. Academic Press, New York, NY. , and .
- 1966. Allomorphosis between body length at sexual maturity and body length at birth in the Cetacea. Journal of the Mammalogical Society of Japan 3:3–7. .
- 1936. The false killer whales stranded in the Tay Estuary. The Scottish Naturalist 220:93–104. , and .
- 1984. Report of the workshop. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 6):1–27. , and .
- 1984. Reproductive parameters of dolphins and small whales of the family Delphinidae. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 6):97–134. , and .
- 1978. The functional anatomy and general biology of Pseudorca crassidens (Owen) with a review of the hydrodynamics and acoustics in Cetacea. Investigations on Cetacea 9:67–227. , and .
- SAS Institute Inc. 2004. SAS/STAT 9.1 user's guide. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- 1975. Recent whale strandings in northern Tasmania. Papers and Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania 109:91–96. , and .
- 1938. Notes on the stranding of a school of Pseudorca crassidens at the Berg River mouth. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Africa 25:403–411.
- 1999. Age-length relationships in humpback whales: a comparison of strandings in the western North Atlantic with commercial catches. Marine Mammal Science 15:725–737. .