Lifetime survival rates and senescence in northern elephant seals
Article first published online: 7 MAR 2013
2013 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy Published 2013. This article is a US Government work and is in the public domain in the USA.
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 122–138, January 2014
How to Cite
Condit, R., Reiter, J., Morris, P. A., Berger, R., Allen, S. G. and Le Boeuf, B. J. (2014), Lifetime survival rates and senescence in northern elephant seals. Marine Mammal Science, 30: 122–138. doi: 10.1111/mms.12025
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 7 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 AUG 2012
- National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: #87-1743-04, #373-1868-00
- National Marine Fisheries Service
- 1989. Colonization by northern elephant seals of the Point Reyes Peninsula, California. Marine Mammal Science 5:298–302. , and .
- 2007. Temporal and spatial variation in age-specific survival rates of a long-lived mammal, the Hawaiian monk seal. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 274:407–415. , and .
- 1960. Population growth and seasonal movements of the northern elephant seal, Mirounga angustirostris. Mammalia 24:313–324. , and .
- 2006. Reproductive performance in grey seals: Age-related improvement and senescence in a capital breeder. Journal of Animal Ecology 75:1340–1351. , , and .
- 2004. Age-specific survival, abundance, and immigration rates of a Weddell seal (Leptonychotes weddellii) population in McMurdo Sound, Antarctica. Canadian Journal of Zoology 82:601–615. , and .
- 1979. Quantifying unequal catchability and its effect on survival estimates in an actual population. Journal of Animal Ecology 48:863–869.
- 2005. Hierarchical Bayes for structured, variable populations: From recapture data to life-history prediction. Ecology 86:2232–2244. , , , and .
- 1993. Sexual selection's effects on male life history and the pattern of male mortality. Ecology 74:1884–1892. , and .
- 2007. Estimating population size in asynchronous aggregations: A Bayesian approach and test with elephant seal censuses. Marine Mammal Science 23:834–855. , , and .
- 1964. Estimates of survival from the sighting of marked animals. Biometrika 51:429–438.
- 2006. Impact of El Niño on the foraging behavior of female northern elephant seals. Marine Ecology Progress Series 309:1–10. , , , and .
- 2007. Complex interplay between intrinsic and extrinsic drivers of long-term survival trends in southern elephant seals. BMC Ecology 7:3. , , and .
- 2002. A paradigm for population analysis of long-lived vertebrates. Ecology 83:2841–2854.
- 2012. The founding of a southern elephant seal colony. Marine Mammal Science. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-7692.2012.00585.x. , , and .
- 1998. Population dynamics of large herbivores: Variable recruitment with constant adult survival. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13:58–63. , and .
- 2007. Data analysis using regression and multilevel-hierarchical models. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K. , and .
- 1992. Inference from iterative simulation using multiple sequences. Statistical Science 7:457–472. , and .
- 2006. Incorporating movement into models of grey seal population dynamics. Journal of Animal Ecology 75:634–645. , , , , and .
- 2007. Swimming speed and foraging strategies of northern elephant seals. Deep Sea Research Part II: Topical Studies in Oceanography 54:369–383. , , , , and .
- 2011. Cohort effects and spatial variation in age-specific survival of Steller sea lions from southeastern Alaska. Ecosphere 2(10):111. doi:10.1890/ES11-00215.1. , and , et al.
- 1991. Some life-history parameters of a declining population of southern elephant seals, Mirounga leonina. Journal of Animal Ecology 60:119–134.
- 1991. Age-specific natality of northern elephant seals at the South Farallon Islands, California. Journal of Mammalogy 72:525–534. , , and .
- 1965. Explicit estimates from capture-recapture data with both death and immigration-stochastic model. Biometrika 52:225–247.
- 2001. The robust design for capture-recapture studies: Analysis using program MARK. Pages 357–360 in Proceedings of the 2nd International Wildlife Management Congress, Bethesda, MD.
- 1974. Male-male competition and reproductive success in elephant seals. American Zoologist 14:163–176.
- 2005. Ocean climate and seal condition. BMC Biology 3:9. , and .
- 1977. Elephant seals breeding on the mainland in California. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences 41:267–280. , and .
- 1969. Social status and mating activity in elephant seals. Science 163:91–93. , and .
- 1988. Lifetime reproductive success in northern elephant seals. Pages 344–362 in T. H. Clutton-Brock, ed. Reproductive success. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL. , and .
- 1972. Perinatal behavior of northern elephant seal females and their young. Behaviour 43:121–156. , and .
- 1974. Elephant seals on the Farallones: Population structure of an incipient breeding colony. Journal of Mammalogy 55:370–385. , and .
- 1994. Juvenile survivorship of northern elephant seals from Año Nuevo. Pages 121–136 in B. J. Le Boeuf and R. M. Laws, eds. Elephant seals: Population ecology, behavior, and physiology. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. , and .
- 2011. The northern elephant seal rookery at Año Nuevo: A case study in colonization. Aquatic Mammals 37:486–501. , , and .
- 2002. Counts of northern elephant seals at rookeries in the Southern California Bight: 1981–2001. Technical Report NOAA-TM-NMFS-SWFSC-345, National Marine Fisheries Service. 68 pp.
- 2008. A Bayesian estimate of harbour seal survival using sparse photo-identification data. Journal of Zoology 274:18–27. , , and .
- 1970. Piecewise regression. Journal of The American Statistical Association 65:1109–1124. , and .
- 2009. Tag loss probabilities are not independent: Assessing and quantifying the assumption of independent tag transition probabilities from direct observations. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 372:36–42. , and .
- 2003. A demographic comparison of two southern elephant seal populations. Journal of Animal Ecology 72:61–74. , and .
- 2005a. Comparison of southern elephant seal populations, and observations of a population on a demographic knife-edge. Marine Ecology Progress Series 288:273–283. , , and .
- 2005b. Population status, trends and a re-examination of the hypotheses explaining the recent declines of the southern elephant seal Mirounga leonina. Mammal Review 35:82–100. , , , and .
- 2006. Assessing hot-iron and cryo-branding for permanently marking southern elephant seals. Journal of Wildlife Management 70:1484–1489. , , , and .
- 1953. Equation of state calculations by fast computing machines. Journal of Chemical Physics 21:1087–1092. , , , and .
- 2008. Measuring senescence in wild animal populations: Towards a longitudinal approach. Functional Ecology 22:393–406. , , and .
- 1978. Water and energy flux in elephant seal pups fasting under natural conditions. Physiological Zoology 51:166–178. , and .
- 2002a. A longitudinal study of senescence in a pinniped. Canadian Journal of Zoology 80:395–401. , and .
- 2002b. Juvenile survival and population regulation in southern elephant seals at Marion Island. African Zoology 37:35–41. , and .
- 1999. Survivorship of a declining population of southern elephant seals, Mirounga leonina, in relation to age, sex and cohort. Oecologia 121:201–211. , and .
- 2000. Evaluation of age- and sex-dependent rates of tag loss in southern elephant seals. The Journal of Wildlife Management 64:373–380. , , and .
- 2001. Temporal changes in fecundity and age at sexual maturity of southern elephant seals at Marion Island. Polar Biology 24:343–348. , , and .
- 2004. Adult female survival, population trend, and the implications of early primiparity in a capital breeder, the southern elephant seal (Mirounga leonina). Journal of Zoology 263:107–119. , , , , and .
- 2008. Evidence for density dependent population regulation in southern elephant seals in the southern Indian Ocean. African Zoology 43:75–80. , , , and .
- 2011. Population dynamics of southern elephant seals: A synthesis of three decades of demographic research at Marion Island. African Journal of Marine Science 33:523–534. , and .
- 2002. Bayesian estimation of survival from mark-recapture data. Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics 7:264–276. .
- 1965. Reestablishment of the northern elephant seal (Mirounga angustirostris) off central California. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences 31:601–612. , and .
- 1991. Life history consequences of variation in age at primiparity in northern elephant seals. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 28:153–160. , and .
- 1978. Northern elephant seal development: The transition from weaning to nutritional independence. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 3:337–367. , and .
- 1981. Female competition and reproductive success in northern elephant seals. Animal Behaviour 29:670–687. , and .
- 2012. The implications of assuming independent tag loss in southern elephant seals. Ecosphere 3:1–11. , , and .
- 1965. A note on the multiple-recapture census. Biometrika 52:249–259.
- 1997. Mortality rates of mammals. Journal of Zoology 243:1–12. , , , and .
- 2010. Climate-scale hydrographic features related to foraging success in a capital breeder, the northern elephant seal Mirounga angustirostris. Endangered Species Research 10:233–243. , , , , , and .
- 1994. Population recovery and status of the northern elephant seal, Mirounga angustirostris. Pages 29–48 in B. J. Le Boeuf and R. M. Laws, eds. Elephant seals: Population ecology, behavior, and physiology. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. , , , et al.
- 1885. An account of recent captures of the California sea-elephant and statistics relating to the present abundance of the species. Proceedings of the U.S. National Museum 8:90–94.
- 2001. Indices of El Niño evolution. Journal of Climate 14:1697–1701. , and .
- 2010. Senescence is more important in the natural lives of long- than short-lived mammals. PLoS ONE 5:e12019. , and .
- 2004. Temporal changes in the quality of hot-iron brands on elephant seal (Mirounga leonina) pups. Wildlife Research 31:619–629. , , , , and .
- 2002. Estimating survival, movement, and other state transitions with mark-recapture methods. Pages 417–493 in B. K. Williams, J. D. Nichols and M. J. Conroy, eds. Analysis and management of animal populations. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , and .