Long-range movement by Hector's dolphins provides potential genetic enhancement for critically endangered Maui's dolphin
Article first published online: 7 MAR 2013
© 2013 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 139–153, January 2014
How to Cite
Hamner, R. M., Constantine, R., Oremus, M., Stanley, M., Brown, P. and Scott Baker, C. (2014), Long-range movement by Hector's dolphins provides potential genetic enhancement for critically endangered Maui's dolphin. Marine Mammal Science, 30: 139–153. doi: 10.1111/mms.12026
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 7 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 MAY 2012
- New Zealand Department of Conservation
- Thomas G. Scott Publication Fund
- 2011. Genomic sweep and potential genetic rescue during limiting environmental conditions in an isolated wolf population. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 278:3336–3344. , , , and .
- 2010. Genomics and the future of conservation genetics. Nature Reviews. Genetics 11:697–709. , and .
- 2002. Geographical variation in Hector's dolphin: Recognition of new subspecies of Cephalorhynchus hectori. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand 32:713–727. , and .
- 1994. Hierarchical structure of mitochondrial DNA gene flow among humpback whales, Megaptera novaeangliae, world-wide. Molecular Ecology 3:313–327. , , , et al.
- Low abundance and probable decline of the critically endangered Maui's dolphin estimated by genotype capture-recapture. Animal Conservation. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-1795.2012.00590.x. , , , , , and . In press.
- 2011. Intentional genetic introgression influences survival of adults and subadults in a small, inbred felid population. Journal of Animal Ecology 80:958–967. , , , et al.
- 2010. Measuring recruitment in an invasive species to determine eradication potential. Journal of Wildlife Management 74:1661–1670. , and .
- 2000. Polymorphic di-nucleotide microsatellite loci isolated from the humpback whale, Megaptera novaeangliae. Molecular Ecology 9:2181–2183. , , and .
- 2004. How to track and assess genotyping errors in population genetics studies. Molecular Ecology 13:3261–3273. , , , , and .
- 2002. Site fidelity and along-shore range in Hector's dolphin, an endangered marine dolphin from New Zealand. Biological Conservation 108:281–287. , , , , and .
- 2003. Habitat selection in a coastal dolphin species (Cephalorhynchus hectori). Marine Biology 143:233–244. , and .
- 2002. Eight polymorphic microsatellite loci for bottlenose dolphin and other cetacean species. Molecular Ecology Notes 2:393–395. , and .
- 1988. Recent observations of Hector's dolphin, Cephalorhynchus hectori, in New Zealand. Reports of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 9):303–314.
- 1999. New methods employing multilocus genotypes to select or exclude populations as origins of individuals. Genetics 153:1989–2000. , , , and .
- 2007. Twelve microsatellite loci for marine and riverine tucuxi dolphins (Sotalia guianensis and Sotalia fluviatilis). Molecular Ecology Notes 7:1229–1231. , and .
- 2012. A risk assessment of threats to Maui's dolphins. Ministry for Primary Industries and Department of Conservation, Wellington, New Zealand. 51 pp. Available at http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/conservation/native-animals/marine-mammals/maui-tmp/mauis-dolphin-risk-assessment.pdf. , , and .
- 2012. Density and genetic structure of black bears in coastal South Carolina. The Journal of Wildlife Management 77:153–164. , and .
- 1998. Deer gender determination by polymerase chain reaction: Validation study and application to tissues, bloodstains, and hair forensic samples from California. California Fish and Game 84:159–169. , , and .
- 1989. Translocation as a species conservation tool: Status and strategy. Science 245:477–480. , , and .
- 2012. Genetic differentiation and limited gene flow among fragmented populations of New Zealand endemic Hector's and Maui's dolphins. Conservation Genetics 13:987–1002. , , , and .
- 2011. Reevaluating and broadening the definition of genetic rescue. Conservation Biology 25:169–170. , and .
- 1998. Low genetic variation among killer whales (Orcinus orca) in the eastern North Pacific and genetic differentiation between foraging specialists. Journal of Heredity 89:121–128. , and .
- 2002. Low worldwide genetic diversity in the killer whale (Orcinus orca): Implications for demographic history. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 269:1467–1473. , , , , and .
- 2001. Restoration of genetic variation lost—the genetic rescue hypothesis. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16:62–63.
- 2007. Revising how the computer program cervus accommodates genotyping error increases success in paternity assignment. Molecular Ecology 16:1099–1106. , and .
- 2001. Characterization of microsatellite loci in Tursiops aduncus. Molecular Ecology Notes 1:170–172. , , and .
- 2002. A biopsy system for small cetaceans: Darting success and wound healing in Tursiops spp. Marine Mammal Science 18:863–878. , , , , and .
- 2011. Wildlife molecular forensics: Identification of the Sardinian mouflon using STR profiling and the Bayesian assignment test. Forensic Science International: Genetics 5:345–349. , , and .
- 2002. Detecting wildlife poaching: Identifying the origin of individuals with Bayesian assignment tests and multilocus genotypes. Conservation Biology 16:650–659. , and .
- 2002. Heterosis and outbreeding depression in descendants of natural immigrants to an inbred population of song sparrows (Melospiza melodia). Evolution 56:131–142. , and .
- 1999. A sensitivity analysis to guide research and management for Hector's dolphin. Biological Conservation 90:183–191. , , and .
- 2006. An application of Manel's model: Detecting bobcat poaching in Michigan. Wildlife Society Bulletin 34:150–155. , and .
- New Zealand Department of Conservation. 2008. Marine Mammals Protection (West Coast North Island Sanctuary) Notice 2008. New Zealand Gazette, 2008/328. Available at http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/marine-and-coastal/marine-protected-areas/marine-mammal-sanctuaries/west-coast-north-island/.
- New Zealand Department of Conservation. 2012. Hector's and Maui's dolphin incident database. Available at http://www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/native-animals/marine-mammals/dolphins/hectors-dolphin/docs-work/hectors-dolphin-incident-database/hectors-and-mauis-incidents-1-november-2011-31-january-2012/.
- New Zealand Ministry of Fisheries. 2012. Hector's dolphins. Available at http://www.fish.govt.nz/en-nz/Environmental/Hectors+Dolphins/default.htm.
- 2012. Distribution, group characteristics and movements of the critically endangered Maui's dolphin (Cephalorhynchus hectori maui). Endangered Species Research 19:1–10. , , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic assignment methods for the direct, real-time estimation of migration rate: A simulation-based exploration of accuracy and power. Molecular Ecology 13:55–65. , , and .
- 2006. GenAlEx 6: Genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Molecular Ecology Notes 6:288–295. , and .
- 2009. Review of the evidence used in the description of currently recognized cetacean subspecies. U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum NOAA-TM-NMFS-SWFSC-450. 35 pp. Available at http://swfsc.noaa.gov/publications/TM/SWFSC/NOAA-TM-NMFS-SWFSC-450.pdf. , and .
- 2001. Population structure and genetic variation in Hector's dolphin (Cephalorhynchus hectori). Ph.D. thesis, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand. 176 pp.
- 2002. Genetic assessment of population boundaries and gene exchange in Hector's dolphin. DOC Science Internal Series 44, Wellington, New Zealand. 37 pp. Available at http://doc.org.nz/upload/documents/science-and-technical/DSIS44.pdf.
- 2000. Loss of genetic diversity in the endemic Hector's dolphin due to fisheries-related mortality. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B 267:97–102. , and .
- 1998. Geographic isolation of Hector's dolphin populations described by mitochondrial DNA sequences. Conservation Biology 12:676–682. , , and .
- 2004. GENECLASS2: A software for genetic assignment and first-generation migrant detection. Journal of Heredity 95:536–539. , , , , and .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155:945–959. , and .
- 2010. Documentation for Structure software: Version 2.3. Available at http://pritch.bsd.uchicago.edu/structure.html. , and .
- 1997. Detecting immigration by using multilocus genotypes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 94:9197–9201. , and .
- 2011. Distribution of Hector's dolphin (Cephalorhynchus hectori) off the west coast, South Island, New Zealand, with implications for the management of bycatch. Marine Mammal Science 27:398–420. , , , and .
- 2009. Kernel density estimates of alongshore home range of Hector's dolphins at Banks Peninsula, New Zealand. Marine Mammal Science 25:537–556. , , , , and .
- 2004. Report of the Workshop on Shortcomings of Cetacean Taxonomy in Relation to Needs of Conservation and Management. U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum NOAA-NMFS-SWFSC-363. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, La Jolla, CA. Available at http://swfsc.noaa.gov/publications/TM/SWFSC/NOAA-TM-NMFS-SWFSC-363.PDF. , , , and .
- 2008. Cephalorhynchus hectori maui. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2011.1. Available at http://www.iucnredlist.org. , and , et al.
- 1999. Microsatellite diversity in captive bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus). Journal of Heredity 90:228–231. , and .
- 1999. Genetic structure of harbour porpoise Phocoena phocoena populations in the northwest Atlantic based on mitochondrial and nuclear markers. Molecular Ecology 8:S41–S54. , , and .
- 1989. Molecular cloning: A laboratory manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY. , and .
- 1991. Conservation of polymorphic simple sequence loci in cetacean species. Nature 354:63–65. , and .
- 2012. Hector's dolphin risk assessments: Old and new analyses show consistent results. Journal of the Royal Society of New Zealand 42:49–60. , and .
- 2010. Assessing the effectiveness of conservation management decisions: Likely effects of new protection measures for Hector's dolphin (Cephalorhynchus hectori). Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems 20:334–347. , and .
- 1991. Population biology and conservation of Hector's dolphin. Canadian Journal of Zoology 69:1701–1707. , and .
- 2005. Hector's dolphin (Cephalorhynchus hectori hectori) satellite tagging, health and genetic assessment project. Unpublished report submitted to the New Zealand Department of Conservation, Auckland Conservancy. Available at http://www.doc.govt.nz/publications/conservation/native-animals/marine-mammals/hector%27s-dolphin-cephalorhynchus-hectori-hectori-satellite-tagging-health-and-genetic-assessment-project/. , , , et al.
- 1987. Inferring evolutionary trees from gene frequency data under the principal of maximum parsimony. Systematic Zoology 36:293–325. , and .
- 2013. A novel conservation approach provides insights into the management of rare cetaceans. Biological Conservation 157:331–340. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Microsatellite markers for the study of cetacean populations. Molecular Ecology 5:151–156. , and .
- 1881. Un nouveau dauphin de la Nouvelle-Zelande. Bulletin of the Royal Academy of Belgium 3:1–11.
- 2003. Rescue of a severely bottlenecked wolf (Canis lupus) population by a single immigrant. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 270:91–97. , , , et al.
- 2012. Should Isle Royale wolves be reintroduced? A case study on wilderness management in a changing world The George Wright Forum 29:126–147. , and .
- 2006. Conservation of the baiji: No simple solution. Conservation Biology 20:623–625. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Avian and mammalian translocations: Update and reanalysis of 1987 survey data. Conservation Biology 10:1142–1154. , , and .