These two authors contributed equally to the data analysis and preparation of this manuscript.
Reestablishment of former wintering grounds by New Zealand southern right whales
Article first published online: 3 APR 2013
© 2013 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 206–220, January 2014
How to Cite
Carroll, E. L., Rayment, W. J., Alexander, A. M., Baker, C. S., Patenaude, N. J., Steel, D., Constantine, R., Cole, R., Boren, L. J. and Childerhouse, S. (2014), Reestablishment of former wintering grounds by New Zealand southern right whales. Marine Mammal Science, 30: 206–220. doi: 10.1111/mms.12031
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 3 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 SEP 2012
- Marsden Fund of New Zealand
- NZ Department of Conservation
- Heseltine Trust
- OMV New Zealand Ltd
- Tertiary Education Commission Top Achiever Scholarship
- University of Auckland PBRF writing grant
- Foundation for Research
- Science and Technology post-doctoral fellowship
- 2008. Individual identification, regional movements and genetic differentiation of the mainland New Zealand southern right whale population, 2003–2007. New Zealand Department of Conservation, PO Box 10420, Wellington, New Zealand. , and , et al.
- 1999. Distribution and diversity of mtDNA lineages among southern right whales (Eubalaena australis) from Australia and New Zealand. Marine Biology 134:1–7. , , , and .
- 1994. Seasonality of reproduction and the length of gestation in southern right whales Eubalaena australis. Journal of Zoology (London) 232:175–189. .
- 1993. Long-range movements of South Atlantic right whales, Eubalaena australis. Marine Mammal Science 9:227–234. , , , and .
- 2003. Composition and possible function of social groupings of southern right whales in South African waters. Behaviour 140:1469–1494. , , and .
- 2001. Aspects of the reproductive biology, movements and site fidelity of right whales off Australia. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management Special Issue 2:89–102. .
- 2011. Return of the right whale: Assessment of abundance, population structure and geneflow in the New Zealand southern right whale. Ph.D. thesis, University of Auckland, New Zealand. 271 pp. .
- 2011a. Updated abundance and first estimate of rate of increase of the southern right whales at the NZ subantarctic Auckland Islands. Unpublished report (SC/S11/RW20) presented to the International Whaling Commission Workshop on Southern right whales, 13–16 September 2011, Buenos Aires, Argentina. , , , et al.
- 2011b. Population structure and individual movement of southern right whales around New Zealand and Australia. Marine Ecology Progress Series 432:257–268. , , , et al.
- 2011c. Abundance of the New Zealand subantarctic southern right whale population estimated from photo-identification and genotype mark-recapture. Marine Biology 158:2565–2575. , , , , and .
- 2012. Paternity assignment and demographic closure in the New Zealand southern right whale. Molecular Ecology 16:3960–3973. , , , et al.
- 2010. Satellite tracking of southern right whales (Eubalaena australis) at the Auckland Islands, New Zealand. Unpublished report (SC/62/BRG19) presented to the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission, Cambridge, U.K. , and .
- 2008. Determining spatial and temporal scales for management of cetaceans: Lessons from whaling. Marine Mammal Science 24:183–201. , and .
- 1986. Right whales caught in waters around south eastern Australia and NZ during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 10):261–268. .
- Department of Conservation. 2012. New Zealand National Cetacean Sightings Database. Department of Conservation, Wellington, New Zealand.
- 2004a. Environmental factors influencing the distribution of southern right whales (Eubalaena australis) on the south coast of South Africa I: Broad scale patterns. Marine Mammal Science 20:567–582. , and .
- 2004b. Environmental factors influencing the distribution of southern right whales (Eubalaena australis) on the south coast of South Africa II: Within bay distribution. Marine Mammal Science 20:563–601. , and .
- 1964. Return of the southern right whale (Eubalaena australis Desm.) to New Zealand waters, 1963. Tuatara 12:115–118. .
- 2011. Census of southern right whales off Brazil. Unpublished report (SC/12/RW27) presented to the Scientific Committee of the International Whaling Commission, Cambridge, U.K. , and .
- 2005. Recent rapid increase in the right whale (Eubalaena australis) population off southern Brazil. Latin American Journal of Aquatic Mammals 4:41–47. , , , and .
- IWC (International Whaling Commission). 2001. Report of the workshop on the comprehensive assessment of right whales. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management Special Issue 2:1–60.
- 2002. A biopsy system for small cetaceans: Darting success and wound healing in Tursiops spp. Marine Mammal Science 18:863–878. , , , , and .
- 1995. Microsatellite analysis of population structure in Canadian polar bears. Molecular Ecology 4:347–354. , , and .
- 2000. Southern right whales wintering at the Auckland Islands. Conservation Advisory Science Notes 321, New Zealand Department of Conservation, PO Box 10420, Wellington, New Zealand. .
- 2003. Sightings of southern right whales around ‘mainland’ New Zealand. Science for Conservation 225:1–37. .
- 2007. Mitochondrial DNA diversity and population structure among southern right whales (Eubalaena australis). Journal of Heredity 98:147–157. , , , et al.
- 1986. Long term behavioural studies of southern right whale (Eubalaena australis). Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 10):161–168. .
- 1983. External features in southern right whales (Eubalaena australis) and their use in identifying individuals. Pages 371–445 in R. Payne, ed. Communication and behaviour of whales. Westview Press, Boulder, CO. , , , , and .
- 2006. BigFish: Computer assisted matching software and data management system for photo-identification. Skadia Pty Ltd, Horsham, Australia. , and .
- 2008. Eubalaena australis (Chile-Peru subpopulation). IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2009.2. , and , et al.
- 2001. Changing patterns of habitat use by southern right whales (Eubalaena australis) on their nursery ground at Peninsula Valdes, Argentina, and in their long-range movements. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management Special Issue 2:133–143. , and .
- 1999. Dorsal skin color patterns among souther right whales (Eubalaena australis): Genetic basis and evolutionary significance. Journal of Heredity 90:464–471. , , , , and .
- 1998. Soviet catches of southern right whales Eubalaena australis 1951–1971. Biological Conservation 86:185–197. , , , , and .