Body growth in Hawaiian monk seals
Article first published online: 25 APR 2013
Published 2013. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the USA.
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 259–271, January 2014
How to Cite
Baker, J. D., Johanos, T. C., Wurth, T. A. and Littnan, C. L. (2014), Body growth in Hawaiian monk seals. Marine Mammal Science, 30: 259–271. doi: 10.1111/mms.12035
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 25 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 NOV 2012
- 2008. Monachus monachus. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2012.1. , and .
- 2003. Improved body condition of weaned Hawaiian monk seal pups associated with El Nino events: Potential benefits to an endangered species. Marine Mammal Science 19:590–598. , and .
- 2008. Variation in the relationship between offspring size and survival provides insight into causes of mortality in Hawaiian monk seals. Endangered Species Research 5:55–64.
- 2002. Effects of research handling on the endangered Hawaiian monk seal. Marine Mammal Science 18:500–512. , and .
- 2004. Abundance of the Hawaiian monk seal in the main Hawaiian Islands. Biological Conservation 116:103–110. , and .
- 2007. Temporal and spatial variation in age-specific survival rates of a long-lived mammal, the Hawaiian monk seal. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 274:407–415. , and .
- 2011. Dramatic shifts in Hawaiian monk seal distribution predicted from divergent regional trends. Marine Mammal Science 27:78–93. , , and .
- 2011. nlstools: Tools for nonlinear regression diagnostics. , and .
- 1991. Mass changes and metabolism in territorial male Antarctic fur seals (Arctocephalus gazella). Physiological Zoology 64:375–392. , and .
- 2011. The foraging ecology of monk seals in the main Hawaiian Islands. M.S. thesis, University of Hawaii, Manoa, HI. 172 pp.
- , and , et al. In press. U.S. Pacific marine mammal stock assessments: 2012. NOAA-TM-NMFS-SWFSC-XXX.
- 1999. Body size, survival, and decline of juvenile Hawaiian monk seals, Monachus schauinslandi. Marine Mammal Science 15:786–809. , and .
- 2007. Reproductive patterns of the Hawaiian monk seal. Marine Mammal Science 23:553–573. , and .
- 2001. A pre- and post-MARPOL Annex V summary of Hawaiian monk seal entanglements and marine debris accumulation in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, 1982–1998. Marine Pollution Bulletin 42:584–589.
- 1994. Annual reproductive cycle of the female Hawaiian monk seal (Monachus schauinslandi). Marine Mammal Science 10:13–30. , and .
- 1959. Life history of the Hawaiian monk seal. Pacific Science 13:215–252. , and .
- 2012. Persistent organic pollutants in the endangered Hawaiian monk seal (Monachus schauinslandi) from the main Hawaiian Islands. Marine Pollution Bulletin 64:2588–2598. , , , and .
- 1993. Growth in pinnipeds. Biological Reviews 68:1–79.
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2004. Morphometry, hematology, and serum chemistry in the Hawaiian monk seal (Monachus schauinslandi). Marine Mammal Science 20:851–860. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Seasonal variation in energy intake and condition of harp seals: Is there a harp seal morph? Problems for bioenergetic modelling. Journal of Zoology 230:513–528. , and .
- 1990. Seasonal changes in body mass and body composition of ringed seals (Phoca hispida) on Svalbard. Canadian Journal of Zoology 68:470–475. , and .
- 1981. A versatile growth model with statistically stable parameters. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 38:1128–1140.
- 2010. Range-wide genetic connectivity of the Hawaiian monk seal and implications for translocation. Conservation Biology 25:124–132. , , , and .
- 1971. Development of a fatted male phenomenon in California sea lions. Developmental Psychobiology 4:333–338. , and .
- 2006. Foraging biogeography of the Hawaiian monk seal in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. Atoll Research Bulletin 543:131–145. , , and .
- 1996. Physical growth of northern fur seals (Callorhinus ursinus): Seasonal fluctuations and migratory influences. Journal of Zoology (London) 238:459–482. , and .
- 2001. Growth in body size of the Steller sea lion (Eumetopias jubatus). Journal of Mammalogy 82:500–519. , and .
- 1968. Reproduction, growth and development, and juvenile mortality in the Hawaiian monk seal. Journal of Mammology 49:229–238.