Bryde's whale calls recorded in the Gulf of Mexico
Article first published online: 25 APR 2013
© 2013 by the Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 399–409, January 2014
How to Cite
Širović, A., Bassett, H. R., Johnson, S. C., Wiggins, S. M. and Hildebrand, J. A. (2014), Bryde's whale calls recorded in the Gulf of Mexico. Marine Mammal Science, 30: 399–409. doi: 10.1111/mms.12036
- Issue published online: 25 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 25 APR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 7 AUG 2012
- Anonymous. 1988. Sonobuoy Instructional Manual NAVAIR 28-SSQ-500-1. Naval Air Systems Command, Naval Weapons Support Center, Crane, IN.
- 2008. Differences in acoustic signals from delphinids in the western North Atlantic and northern Gulf of Mexico. Marine Mammal Science 24:42–56. , , and .
- 1990. Review of the signature–whistle hypothesis for the Atlantic bottlenose dolphin. Pages 199–234 in S. Leatherwood and R. R. Reeves, eds. The bottlenose dolphin. Academic Press Inc., San Diego, CA. , and .
- 1990. Acoustic behavior of mysticete whales. Pages 571–583 in J. Thomas and R. Kastelein, eds. Sensory abilities of cetaceans. Plenum Press, New York, NY.
- 2001. The diving behavior of blue and fin whales: Is dive duration shorter than expected based on oxygen stores? Comparative biochemistry and physiology Part A 129:797–809. , , and .
- 1986. Sounds from Bryde, Balaenoptera edeni, and finback, B. physalus, whales in the Gulf of California. Fishery Bulletin 84:359–370. , and .
- 1993. Vocalization of a captive juvenile and free-ranging adult-calf pairs of Bryde's whales, Balaenoptera edeni. Marine Mammal Science 9:269–284. , and .
- 2010. Acoustic survey for marine mammal occurrence and distribution off East Antarctica (30–80°E) in January–February 2006. Deep-Sea Research II 57:968–981. , and .
- 1995. Estimates of cetacean abundance in the northern Gulf of Mexico from vessel surveys. NOAA Contribution No. MIA-94196-25. 18 pp. Available from NMFS, Southeast Fisheries Science Center, 75 Virginia Beach Drive, Miami, FL. , and .
- 2005. Types, distribution, and seasonal occurrence of sounds attributed to Bryde's whales (Balaenoptera edeni) recorded in the eastern tropical Pacific, 1999–2001. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 118:1830–1837. , , and .
- 1997. Distribution of cetaceans in the offshore Gulf of Mexico. Mammal Review 27:27–50. , and .
- 2008. Marine mammals of the world: A comprehensive guide to their identification. Academic Press, London, U.K. , and .
- 2012. Bryde's whale seasonal range expansion and increasing presence in the Southern California Bight from 2000 to 2010. Deep-Sea Research Part I-Oceanographic Research Papers 65:125–132. , , , , and .
- 1961. Sounds emitted by bottlenose dolphin—Audible emissions of captive dolphins under water or in air are remarkably complex and varied. Science 133:1689–1693. and .
- 2009. Estimating cetacean population density using fixed passive acoustic sensors: An example with Blainville's beaked whales. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 125:1982–1994. , , , and .
- 2006. Cetaceans of the oceanic northern Gulf of Mexico: Distributions, group sizes and interspecific associations. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 8:203–213. and .
- 1977.Records of sei and Bryde's whales from the Atlantic coast of the USA, the Gulf of Mexico, and the Caribbean. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 1):113–116.
- 2007. Abundance of cetaceans in the oceanic Gulf of Mexico based on 2003–2004 ship surveys. 26 pp. Available from NMFS, Southeast Fisheries Science Center, PO Drawer 1207, Pascagoula, MS 39568.
- 2004. Abundance of cetaceans in the oceanic northern Gulf of Mexico, 1996–2001. Marine Mammal Science 20:787–807. , and .
- 2003. Low frequency calls of Bryde's whales. Marine Mammal Science 19:407–419. , , , and .
- 2007a. Blue whale visual and acoustic encounter rates in the southern California bight. Marine Mammal Science 23:574–597. , , and .
- 2007b. Behavioral context of Northeast Pacific blue whale call production. Marine Ecology Progress Series 330:269–284. , , , , and .
- 2011. Sound production behavior of individual North Atlantic right whales: Implications for passive acoustic monitoring. Endangered Species Research 15:63–76. , , , , and .
- 2006. Baleen whales in the Scotia Sea in January and February 2003. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management 8:161–171. , and .
- 2009. U.S. Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico marine mammal stock assessments—2009. NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-NE-213. 540 pp. Available from National Marine Fisheries Service, 166 Water Street, Woods Hole, MA 02543. , , and .
- 2007. High-frequency Acoustic Recording Package (HARP) for broad-band, long-term marine mammal monitoring. Pages 551–557 in International Symposium on Underwater Technology 2007 and International Workshop on Scientific Use of Submarine Cables and Related Technologies. IEEE, Tokyo, Japan. , and .
- 2005. Blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus) diel calling patterns offshore of Southern California. Aquatic Mammals 31:161–168. , , and .
- 2000. The marine mammals of the Gulf of Mexico. W. L. Moody, Jr., Natural History Series, No. 26. Texas A&M University Press, College Station, TX. , and .
- 2006. Detection of communication sounds. Pages 177–205 in F. Ladich, S. P. Collin, P. Moller and B. G. Kapoor, eds. Communication in fishes. Volume 1. Science Publishers, Enfield, NH.