Fatty acids and stable isotopes (δ13C and δ15N) reveal temporal changes in narwhal (Monodon monoceros) diet linked to migration patterns
Article first published online: 14 APR 2014
© 2014 Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 31, Issue 1, pages 21–44, January 2015
How to Cite
Watt, C. A. and Ferguson, S. H. (2015), Fatty acids and stable isotopes (δ13C and δ15N) reveal temporal changes in narwhal (Monodon monoceros) diet linked to migration patterns. Marine Mammal Science, 31: 21–44. doi: 10.1111/mms.12131
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2014
- Article first published online: 14 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 10 AUG 2013
- Garfield Weston Foundation
- E. Scherer Memorial Scholarship
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
- Nunavut Wildlife Management Board
- ArcticNet Centre of Excellence
- AMAP. 2011. Snow, water, ice and permafrost in the Arctic (SWIPA): Climate change and the cryoshpere. Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP), Oslo, Norway, xii + 538 pp.
- 2012. Results of narwhal (Monodon monoceros) aerial surveys in northern Hudson Bay, August 2011. Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Science Advisory Report 2012/037. iii + 23 pp. , , and .
- 1987. Ecological relationships between common murres, Urea aalge, and thick-billed murres, Uria lomvia, at the Gannet Islands, Labrador. III. Feeding ecology of the young. Canadian Journal of Zoology 65:1638–1649. , and .
- 1959. A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification. Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Physiology 37:911–917. , and .
- 2008. Regional variability in food availability for Arctic marine mammals. Ecological Applications 18:S77–S96. , and .
- 2003. You are what you eat: Describing the foraging ecology of southern elephant seals (Mirounga leonina) using blubber fatty acids. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 270:1283–1292. , , , , and .
- 2006. Studying trophic ecology in marine ecosystems using fatty acids: A primer on analysis and interpretation. Marine Mammal Science 22:759–801. , and .
- 2011. Stable isotopes of captive cetaceans (killer whales and bottlenose dolphins). Journal of Experimental Biology 214:538–545. , , and .
- 2013. Temporal variation in western Hudson Bay ringed seal Phoca hispida diet in relation to environment. Marine Ecology Progress Series 481:269–287. , and .
- 2012. Estimating niche width using stable isotopes in the face of habitat variability: A modelling case study in the marine environment. PLOS ONE 7:e40539. , , , and .
- 1985. Limitations of using otoliths recovered in scats to estimate prey consumption in seals. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 42:1439–1442. , and .
- 2009. Preliminary assessment of Greenland halibut diet in Cumberland Sound using stable isotopes. Polar Biology 32:941–945. , and .
- 2010. Hierarchical analysis of a remote, Arctic, artisanal longline fishery. ICES Journal of Marine Science 67:41–51. , , , and .
- 2007. Upside-down swimming behaviour of free-ranging narwhals. BMC Ecology 7:14. , , , et al.
- 2008. Movements of narwhals (Monodon monoceros) from Admiralty Inlet monitored by satellite telemetry. Polar Biology 31:1295–1306. , , , , and .
- 2013. Hudson Strait marine mammal surveys, 10 March–2 April 2012. LGL Report No. TA8129-2. Prepared by LGL Limited, King City, ON for Baffinland Iron Mines Corporation. 87 pp. , , and .
- 2012. Thermal habitat for O-group fish in the Barents Sea; how climate variability impacts their density, length, and geographic distribution. ICES Journal of Marine Science 69:870–879. , , and .
- 2012. Time series data for Canadian arctic vertebrates: IPY contributions to science, management, and policy. Climatic Change 115:235–258. , , , et al.
- 2011. Stable isotope analysis in two sympatric populations of bottlenose dolphins Tursiops truncatus: Evidence of resource partitioning? Marine Biology 158:1043–1055. , , , , , and .
- 1982. Summer diet of the narwhal (Monodon monoceros) in Pond Inlet, northern Baffin Island. Canadian Journal of Zoology 60:3353–3363. , and .
- 1957. A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 226:497–509. , and .
- 1995. Carbon-13 enrichment in benthic compared to planktonic algae: Foodweb implications. Marine Ecology Progress Series 124:307–312.
- 2009. Winter northern hemisphere weather patterns remember summer Arctic sea-ice extent. Geophysical Research Letters 36:L07503. , , , and .
- 2003. Trends in forage fish populations in northern Hudson Bay since 1981, as determined from the diet of nestling thick-billed murres Uria lomvia. Arctic 56:227–233. , and .
- 2010. Chapter 14: Using isoscapes to trace the movements and foraging behavior of top predators in oceanic ecosystems. Pages 299–318 in J. B. West, G. J. Bowen, T. E. Dawson and K. P. Tu, eds. Isoscapes: Understanding movement, pattern and process on earth through isotope mapping. Springer, New York, NY. , , , and .
- 2008. Arctic climate change and its impacts on the ecology of the North Atlantic. Ecology 89:S24–S38. , , and .
- 1994. A note on the diet of narwhals (Monodon monoceros) in Inglefield Bredning (NW Greenland). Meddelelser om Grønland, Bioscience 39:213–216. , and .
- 2003. The migratory behaviour of narwhals (Monodon monoceros). Canadian Journal of Zoology 81:1298–1305. , , , , and .
- 2013. A metapopulation model for Canadian and West Greenland narwhals. Animal Conservation 16:331–343. , , and .
- 2009. Loss of Arctic sea ice causing punctuated change in sightings of killer whales (Orcinus orca) over the past century. Ecological Applications 19:1365–1375. , and .
- 2001. Diet of northern bottlenose whales inferred from fatty-acid and stable-isotope analyses of biopsy samples. Canadian Journal of Zoology 79:1442–1454. , , and .
- 2004. Quantitative fatty acid signature analysis: A new method of estimating predator diets. Ecological Monographs 74:211–235. , , and .
- 2011. Comparing isotopic niche widths among and within communities: SIBER–Stable Isotope Bayesian Ellipses in R. Journal of Animal Ecology 80:595–602. , , and .
- 2002. Principal component analysis. Springer-Verlag New York, NY.
- 2006. On selecting an appropriate multivariate analysis. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 86:663–676.
- 2000. Effect of a low-fat diet on body composition and blubber fatty acids of captive juvenile harp seals (Phoca groenlandica). Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 73:45–59. , and .
- 2003. Relationship between anthropogenic CO2 and the 13C Suess effect in the North Atlantic Ocean. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 17:5–1–5–20. , and .
- 1994. Distribution and numbers of narwhals (Monodon monoceros) in Baffin Bay and Davis Strait. Meddelelser om Grønland, Bioscience 39:15–40. , and .
- 2005. Winter feeding intensity of narwhals (Monodon monoceros). Marine Mammal Science 21:45–57. , and .
- 2011. Life in the lead: Extreme densities of narwhals Monodon monoceros in the offshore pack ice. Marine Ecology Progress Series 423:269–278. , and .
- 2002. Diving behaviour of narwhals (Monodon monoceros) at two coastal localities in the Canadian High Arctic. Canadian Journal of Zoology 80:624–635. , and .
- 2008. Quantifying the sensitivity of Arctic marine mammals to climate-induced habitat change. Ecological Applications 18:S97–S125. , , , , and .
- 2007a. Can stable isotope ratios provide for community-wide measures of trophic structure? Ecology 88:42–48. , , and .
- 2007b. Niche width collapse in a resilient top predator following ecosystem fragmentation. Ecology Letters 10:937–944. , , and .
- 2008. Linking mercury exposure to habitat and feeding behaviour in Beaufort Sea beluga whales. Journal of Marine Systems 74:1012–1024. , , , et al.
- 2009. Summer diet of beluga whales inferred by fatty acid analysis of the eastern Beaufort Sea food web. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 374:12–18. , , , et al.
- 2012. Composition and temporal variation in the diet of beluga whales, derived from stable isotopes. Marine Ecology Progress Series 471:283–291. , , and .
- 2010. The role of diet on long-term concentration and pattern trends of brominated and chlorinated contaminants in western Hudson Bay polar bears, 1991–2007. Science of the Total Environment 408:6210–6222. , , , and .
- 2013. Food web structure of a coastal Arctic marine ecosystem and implications for stability. Marine Ecology Progress Series 482:17–28. , , and .
- 2006. Lipids and stable isotopes in marine food webs in West Greenland. Trophic relations and health implications. Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark.
- 2010. Using stable isotope biogeochemistry to study marine mammal ecology. Marine Mammal Science 26:509–572. , and .
- 2012. Tools for quantifying isotopic niche space and dietary variation at the individual and population level. Journal of Mammalogy 93:329–341. , , and .
- 1974. Comparative robustness of six tests in multivariate analysis of variance. Journal of the American Statistical Association 69:894–908.
- 2010. Source partitioning using stable isotopes: Coping with too much variation. PLOS ONE 5:e9672. , , and .
- 2011. Population genetic structure of narwhal (Monodon monoceros). DFO Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat Research Document 2011/021. vi + 20 pp. , and .
- 2012. Seabird diet indicates changing Arctic marine communities in eastern Canada. Marine Ecology Progress Series 454:171–182. , , and .
- 1991. Abundance and distribution of narwhals (Monodon monoceros) in northern Hudson Bay. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 48:276–283.
- 2010. Baffin Bay narwhal population distribution and numbers: Aerial surveys in the Canadian high Arctic, 2002–04. Arctic 63:85–99. , , , , and .
- 1995. Biometry. The principles and practice of statistics in biological research. W. E. Freeman, New York, NY. , and .
- 1999. Reconstructing the oceanic 13C Suess effect. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 13:857–872. , , , , and .
- 2006. Turnover of stable carbon isotopes in the muscle, liver, and breath CO2 of alpacas (Lama pacos). Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 20:1395–1399. , , , et al.
- 1990. Seasonal epidermal molt in beluga whales, Delphinapterus leucas. Canadian Journal of Zoology 68:359–367. , and .
- 2012. Effects of climate warming on polar bears: A review of the evidence. Global Change Biology 18:2694–2706. , and .
- 2005. Tracking the Arctic's shrinking ice cover: Another extreme September minimum in 2004. Geophysical Research Letters 32:L04501. , , , , , and .
- 1983. Fractionation and turnover of stable carbon isotopes in animal tissues: implications for δ13C analysis of diet. Oecologia 57:32–37. , , and .
- 2011. Trends and variability in summer sea ice cover in the Canadian Arctic based on the Canadian Ice Service Digital Archive, 1960–2008 and 1968–2008. Journal of Geophysical Research 116, C03007. , , , et al.
- 2008. Convergence of diet estimates derived from fatty acids and stable isotopes within individual grey seals. Marine Ecology Progress Series 354:267–276. , and .
- 2012. A sea ice free summer Arctic within 30 years: An update from CMIP5 models. Geophysical Research Letters 39:L18501. , and .
- 2011. Footprints of climate change in the Arctic marine ecosystem. Global Change Biology 17:1235–1249. , , and .
- 2012. Satellite tracking of narwhals (Monodon monoceros) from Admiralty Inlet (2009) and Eclipse Sound (2010–22011). DFO Canadian Science Advisory Secretariate Research Document 2012/046. iii + 17 pp. , , , and .
- 2013. How adaptable are narwhal? A comparison of foraging patterns among the world's three narwhal populations. Ecosphere 4:71. , and .
- 2013. Using stable isotopes to understand changes in ringed seal foraging ecology as a response to a warming environment. Marine Mammal Science. doi:10.1111/mms.12075. , and .
- 2006. Warming and freshening of Baffin Bay, 1916–2003. Journal of Geophysical Research 111:C07016. , and .