Recommendations for photo-identification methods used in capture-recapture models with cetaceans
Article first published online: 14 MAY 2014
© 2014 Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 31, Issue 1, pages 298–321, January 2015
How to Cite
Urian, K., Gorgone, A., Read, A., Balmer, B., Wells, R. S., Berggren, P., Durban, J., Eguchi, T., Rayment, W. and Hammond, P. S. (2015), Recommendations for photo-identification methods used in capture-recapture models with cetaceans. Marine Mammal Science, 31: 298–321. doi: 10.1111/mms.12141
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2014
- Article first published online: 14 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 25 MAR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 11 OCT 2013
- 2006. Automating image matching, cataloging, and analysis for photo-identification research. Aquatic Mammals 32:374–384. , , and .
- 1992. Testing the reliability of photographic identification of individual fin whales (Balaenoptera physalus). Report of the International Whaling Commission 42:731–737.
- 2005. Handbook of capture-recapture analysis. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. , and .
- 1999. POPAN-5: Using POPAN-5 to analyze banding data. Bird Study 46:S157–S168. , and .
- 2012. Population structure of melon-headed whales (Peponocephala electra) in the Hawaiian Archipelago: Evidence of multiple populations based on photo-identification. Marine Mammal Science 28:666–689. , , , et al.
- 2007. The use of natural markings in studies of long-finned pilot whale (Globicephala melas). Marine Mammal Science 23:77–93. , and .
- 2008. Site fidelity and association patterns in a deep-water dolphin: Rough-toothed dolphins (Steno bredanensis) in the Hawaiian Archipelago. Marine Mammal Science 24:535–553. , , , , and .
- 2011. Humpback whale abundance in the North Pacific estimated by photographic capture-recapture with bias correction from simulation studies. Marine Mammal Science 27:793–818. , , , et al.
- 1983. Abuses of mathematical techniques in ecology: Applications of Jolly's capture-recapture method. Oikos 40:55–158.
- 1982. An assessment of killer whale (Orcinus orca) stocks of Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Report of the International Whaling Commission 32:655–666.
- 1955. Evidence of home range of an Atlantic bottlenose dolphin. Journal of Mammalogy 36:304–305.
- 1973. The effects of unequal catchability on Jolly-Seber estimates. Biometrics 29:79–100.
- 2001. An overview of closed capture-recapture models. Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics 6:158–175.
- 2011. Accounting for transients when estimating abundance: A case study of bottlenose dolphins in Choctawhatchee Bay, Florida. Journal of Wildlife Management 75:569–579. , , , and .
- 2008. A Bayesian capture–recapture population model with simultaneous estimation of heterogeneity. Journal of the American Statistical Association 103:948–960. , , , , , and .
- 1995. An assessment of changes with time in the marking patterns used for photo-identification of individual sperm whales, Physeter macrocephalus. Marine Mammal Science 11:335–343. , and .
- 2000a. Quantifying dolphin occupancy patterns. Marine Mammal Science 16:825–828. , , and .
- 2000b. A role for Bayesian inference in cetacean population assessment and management decisions. Journal for Cetacean Management and Conservation 2:117–123. , , and .
- 2005. Multi-site mark–recapture for cetaceans: Population estimates with Bayesian model averaging. Marine Mammal Science 21:80–92. , , , , and .
- 2010. Photographic mark-recapture analysis of clustered mammal-eating killer whales around the Aleutian Islands and Gulf of Alaska. Marine Biology 157:1591–1604. , , , et al.
- 2003. A hierarchical Bayes approach to capture-recapture abundance estimation. Ph.D. dissertation, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT. 201 pp. .
- 2014. Estimating the proportion of identifiable individuals and group sizes in photographic identification studies. Marine Mammal Science. doi:10.1111/mms.12119.
- 2006. Range and movements of female Heaviside's dolphins (Cephalorhynchus heavisidii), as determined by satellite-linked telemetry. Journal of Mammalogy 87:866–877. , , , , and .
- 2012. Photographic mark-recapture analysis of local dynamics within an open population of dolphins. Ecological Applications 22:1689–1700. , , and .
- 2009. Sources and rates of errors in methods of individual identification in a comprehensive longterm wildlife study: The North Atlantic right whale (Eubalaena glacialis). Journal of Mammalogy 90:1246–1255. , , , and .
- 2000. Measurement of photographic quality and individual distinctiveness for the photographic identification of humpback whales, Megaptera novaeangliae. Marine Mammal Science 16:355–374. , , and .
- 2008. Balancing bias and precision in capture-recapture estimates of abundance. Marine Mammal Science 24:253–275. , , , and .
- 2001. Photographic identification of northern bottlenose whales (Hyperoodon ampullatus): Sources of heterogeneity from natural marks. Marine Mammal Science 17:76–93. , and .
- 1990. A note on the problem of false positives in the use of natural markings for abundance estimation. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 12):143–145. , and .
- 1986. Estimating the size of naturally marked whale populations using capture-recapture techniques. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 8):253–282. .
- 1990. Heterogeneity in the Gulf of Maine? Estimating humpback whale population size when capture probabilities are not equal. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 12):135–139. .
- 2009. Mark-recapture. Pages 705–709 in W. F. Perrin, B. Würsig and J. G. M. Thewissen, eds. Encyclopedia of marine mammals, 2nd edition. Elsevier, Toronto, Canada.
- 2010. Estimating the abundance of marine mammals. Pages 42–67 in I. L. Boyd, W. D. Bowen and S. J. Iverson, eds. Marine mammal ecology and conservation: A handbook of techniques. Oxford University Press, New York, NY.
- 1990. Individual recognition of cetaceans: Use of photo-identification and other techniques to estimate population parameters. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 12). , and .
- 2003. Computer-assisted photo-identification of individual marine vertebrates: A multi-species system. Aquatic Mammals 29:117–123. , , , et al.
- 1981. Identifying humpback whales using their natural markings. Polar Record 20:439–444. , and .
- 1979. Identification of humpback whales by fluke photographs. Behavior of marine animals: Current perspectives in research. Volume 3. Cetaceans. Plenum Press, New York, NY. , , , , and .
- 2002. Estimating state-transition probabilities for unobservable states using capture–recapture/resighting data. Ecology 83:3276–3284. , and .
- 2010. Bayesian analysis for population ecology. Chapman & Hall/CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. , , and .
- 2010. Fluke Matcher: A computer-aided matching system for humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) flukes. Marine Mammal Science 26:744–756. , and .
- 2000. WinBUGS–a Bayesian modelling framework: Concepts, structure and extensibility. Statistics and Computing 10:325–337. , , and .
- 2006. Quantifying the influence of sociality on population structure in bottlenose dolphins. Journal of Animal Ecology 75:14–24. , , , et al.
- 2003. Digital photography improves efficiency of individual dolphin identification. Marine Mammal Science 19:217–223. , and .
- 2004. Use of digital photography and analysis of dorsal fins for photo-identification of bottlenose dolphins. Aquatic Mammals 30:209–219. , , and .
- 2007. NMML Digital photo protocol. Available at http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/nmml/pdf/NMMLDigitalPhotoProtocol.pdf. .
- 1994. The Hawaiian spinner dolphin. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA. , , and .
- 1978. Statistical inference from capture data on closed animal populations. Wildlife Monographs 62:1–135. , , and .
- 1986. Long term behavioral studies of the southern right whale (Eubalaena australis). Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 10):161–167. .
- 2000. Capture-recapture models. Journal of the American Statistical Association 95:293–296.
- 1990. Statistical inference for capture-recapture experiments. Wildlife Monographs 107:1–97. , , and .
- 2006. Survival of adult blue whales Balaenoptera musculus in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Canada. Marine Ecology Progress Series 319:287–295. , , and .
- 2003. Abundance of bottlenose dolphins in the bays, sounds, and estuaries of North Carolina. Marine Mammal Science 19:59–73. , , and .
- 2011. Photo-identification Capture-mark-recapture techniques for estimating abundance of bay, sound and estuary populations of bottlenose dolphins along the U.S. East Coast and Gulf of Mexico: A Workshop Report. U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SEFSC-621. 30 pp. , , , et al.
- 2008. Modeling individual effects in the Cormack-Jolly-Seber model: A state-space formulation. Biometrics 64:364–370.
- 1960. Daily patrol of a Megaptera. Journal of Mammalogy 41:279–281. , and .
- 1990. Photographic identification of the blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus) in the Gulf of St Lawrence, Canada. Report of the International Whaling Commission (Special Issue 12):335–342. , , , , and .
- 1982. Estimation of animal abundance and related parameters, 2nd edition. Macmillan, New York, NY.
- 2001. Errors in identification using natural markings: Rates, sources and effects on capture-recapture estimates of abundance. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 58:1861–1870. , , , and .
- 1995. Sexual dimorphism in wild bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) from Sarasota, Florida. Journal of Mammalogy 76:1190–1198. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Status of the photo-identification catalog of coastal bottlenose dolphins of the western North Atlantic: Report of a workshop of catalog contributors. U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-SEFSC-425. 22 pp. , and .
- 2013. Abundance of bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in estuarine and near-shore waters of North Carolina, USA. Journal of the North Carolina Academy of Science 129:165–171. , , , and .
- 2000. Bayesian methods in conservation biology. Conservation Biology 14:1308–1316.
- 2001. Behavior and ecology of the Atlantic white-sided dolphin (Lagenorhynchus acutus) in coastal New England waters. Marine Mammal Science 17:231–248. , and .
- 2003. Dolphin social complexity: Lessons from long-term study and life history. Pages 32–56 in F. B. M. de Waal and P. L. Tyack, eds. Animal social complexity: Intelligence, culture, and individualized societies. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 2013. Social structure and life history of common bottlenose dolphins near Sarasota Bay, Florida: Insights from four decades and five generations. Pages 149–172 in J. Yamagiwa and L. Karczmarski, eds. Primates and cetaceans: Field research and conservation of complex mammalian societies. Primatology Monographs. Springer, Tokyo, Japan.
- 1999. Bottlenose dolphin Tursiops truncatus (Montagu, 1821). Pages 137–182 in S. H. Ridgway and S. R. Harrison, eds. Handbook of marine mammals. Volume 6. The second book of dolphins and the porpoises. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , and .
- 1999. Program MARK: Survival estimation from populations of marked animals. Bird Study 46:120. , and .
- 2005. Heterogeneity and the mark–recapture assessment of the Scotian Shelf population of northern bottlenose whales (Hyperoodon ampullatus). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 62:2573–2585. , and .
- 1990. Mark–recapture estimates with emigration and re-immigration. Biometrics 46:473–479.
- 1998. Query by sketch in DARWIN: Digital analysis to recognize whale images on a network. Pages 41–48 in M. M. Yeung, B. L. Yeo, and C. A. Bouman, eds. Storage and retrieval for image and video databases VII. Proceedings of the International Society of Optical Engineering SPIE volume 3656, Bellingham, WA. , and .
- 1993. The abundance and distribution of bottlenosed dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) in Doubtful Sound, New Zealand. Canadian Journal of Zoology 71:2080–2088. , and .
- 1997. Skin lesions and physical deformities in bottlenose dolphins in the Moray Firth: Population prevalence and age-sex differences. Ambio 26:243–247. , and .
- 1999. Estimating size and assessing trends in a coastal bottlenose dolphin population. Ecological Applications 9:288–300. , and .
- 1977. The photographic determination of group size, composition and stability of coastal porpoises (Tursiops truncatus). Science 198:755–756. , and .
- 2009. Modeling misidentification errors in capture-recapture studies using photographic identification of evolving marks. Ecology 90:3–9. , , and .