Taking the sting out of darting: Risks, restraint drugs and procedures for the chemical restraint of Southern Hemisphere otariids
Article first published online: 24 JUL 2014
© 2014 Society for Marine Mammalogy
Marine Mammal Science
Volume 31, Issue 1, pages 322–344, January 2015
How to Cite
Baylis, A. M. M., Page, B., Staniland, I., Arnould, J. P. Y. and McKenzie, J. (2015), Taking the sting out of darting: Risks, restraint drugs and procedures for the chemical restraint of Southern Hemisphere otariids. Marine Mammal Science, 31: 322–344. doi: 10.1111/mms.12148
- Issue published online: 22 DEC 2014
- Article first published online: 24 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 APR 2014
- Manuscript Received: 13 SEP 2013
- Falkland Islands Government
- Shackleton Scholarship Fund
- Project AWARE
- Joint Nature Conservation Committee
- Darwin Initiative
- 2007. Stress. Pages 103–109 in G. West, D. Heard and N. Caulkett, eds. Zoo animal and wildlife immobilization and anesthesia. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, IA. , and .
- 2002. Growth and condition in Australian fur seals (Arctocephalus pusillus doriferus) (Carnivora: Pinnipedia). Australian Journal of Zoology 50:53–66. , and .
- 2008. Pinnipeds. Pages 541–590 in L. Vogelnest and R. Woods, eds. Medicine of Australian mammals. CSIRO Publishing, Collingwood, Australia. , and .
- 2009. Assessing the use of milk fatty acids to infer the diet of the Australian sea lion. Wildlife Research 36:169–176. , and .
- 2012. Individual foraging site fidelity in lactating New Zealand fur seals: Continental shelf vs. oceanic habitats. Marine Mammal Science 28:276–294. , , and .
- 1993. A field method for immobilizing Weddell seals. Wildlife Society Bulletin 21:437–441. , and .
- 1990. Response of fur seals to immobilization with ketamine, a ketamine-diazepam or ketamine-xylazine mixture, and zoletil. Marine Mammal Science 6:35–145. , , and .
- 1992. Remote drug delivery systems. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 23:159–180.
- 1996. Methods of capture, handling and anaesthesia. Pages 25–38 in D. G. Kleiman, M. E. Allen, K. V. Thompson, S. Lumpkin and H. Harris, eds. Wild mammals in captivity. Principles and techniques. The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 2001. Movements and location at sea of South American sea lions (Otaria flavescens). Journal of Zoology 255:205–220. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Evaluation of the Potential for injury with remote drug-delivery systems. Wildlife Society Bulletin 34:741–749. , , , , and .
- 2002. Response of wild subantarctic fur seal (Arctocephalus tropicalis) females to ketamine and tiletamine-zolazepam anesthesia. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 38:846–850. , and .
- 1988. Chemical immobilization of free-ranging South African (Cape) fur seals. South African Journal of Wildlife Research 18:154–156. , , , and .
- 1999. Chemical immobilization, physical restraint and stomach lavaging of fur seals at Marion Island. South African Journal of Wildlife Research 29:55–61. , and .
- 2002. Effects of age, size and condition of elephant seals (Mirounga leonina) on their intravenous anaesthesia with tiletamine and zolazepam. Veterinary Record 151:235–240. , , , and .
- 1995. Restraint and handling of wild and domestic animals, 2nd edition. Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA.
- 1989. Chemical restraint and anaesthesia of pinnipeds: A review. Marine Mammal Science 5:228–256.
- 1998. Fast, safe, field-portable gas anesthesia for otariids. Marine Mammal Science 14:355–361. , and .
- 2009. Guidelines for the treatment of marine mammals in field research. Marine Mammal Science 25:725–736. , , , et al.
- 2009. Managing big boys: A case study on remote anaesthesia and satellite tracking of adult male New Zealand sea lions (Phocarctos hookeri). Wildlife Research 35:666–674. , and .
- 2001. Euthanasia. Pages 729–738 in L. A. Dierauf and F. M. D. Gulland, eds. CRC handbook of marine mammal medicine. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. , and .
- 2007. Clinical pharmacology. Pages 3–36 in G. West, D. Heard and N. Caulkett, eds. Zoo animal and wildlife immobilization and anesthesia. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, IA. , and .
- 2011. Patient monitoring. Pages 197–239 in K. A. Grimm, W. J. Tranquilli and L. A. Lamont, eds. Essentials of small animal anesthesia and analgesia, 2nd edition. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, U.K.
- 2007. Otariid seals. Pages 469–478 in G. West, D. Heard, N. Caulkett, eds. Zoo animal and wildlife immobilization and anesthesia. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, IA.
- 2001. Use of medetomidine-zolazepam-tiletamine with and without atipamezole reversal to immobilize captive California sea lions. Journal of Wildlife Research 37:566–573. , and .
- 2001. Marine mammal anesthesia. Pages 655–688 in L. A. Dierauf and F. M. D. Gulland, eds. CRC handbook of marine mammal medicine. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL. , and .
- 2000. Immobilization of California sea lions using medetomidine plus ketamine with and without isoflurane and reversal with atipamezole. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 36:124–130. , , and .
- 1996. Telazol and Isoflurane field anesthesia in free-ranging Steller's sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus). Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 27:35–43. , , , and .
- 2002. Use of midazolamipethidine and tiletamine/zolazepam combinations for the chemical restraint of leopard seal (Hydrurga leptonyx). Marine Mammal Science 18:483–499. , , and .
- 2007. Remote drug delivery. Pages 61–74 in G. West, D. Heard and N. Caulkett, eds. Zoo animal and wildlife immobilization and anesthesia. Blackwell Publishing, IA.
- 1997. South American pinnipeds: Immobilization, telemetry, and health evaluations. Pages 291–295 in Proceedings of the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians, Houston, TX. , , , et al.
- 2002. Satellite tracker deployments on adult male Australian fur seals Arctocephalus pusillus doriferus: Methods and preliminary results. Australian Mammalogy 24:73–83. , , and .
- 2006. At-sea movements and habitat use of adult male Australian fur seals (Arctocephalus pusillus doriferus). Canadian Journal of Zoology 84:1781–1788. , , , and .
- 2013. Small animal anesthesia and pain management. Madison Publishing, London, U.K.
- 2012. Wildlife chemical immobilisation. Pages 118–139 in N. J. Silvy, ed. The wildlife techniques manual, 7th edition. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.
- 2002. Handbook of wildlife chemical immobilization. Wildlife Pharmaceuticals, Ft. Collins, CO. , and .
- 1989. Use of Telazol to immobilize female northern sea lions (Eumetopias jubatus) in Alaska. Journal of Wildlife Diseases 25:353–358. , and .
- 2010. Marking and capturing. Pages 16–41 in I. L. Boyd, W. D. Bowen and S. J. Iverson, eds. Marine mammal ecology and conservation. Oxford University Press, Oxford, U.K. , , , and .
- 2013. Steady as he goes: At-sea movement of adult male Australian sea lions in a dynamic marine environment. PLOS ONE 8:e74348. , , and .
- 1999. Immobilization of pinniped species. Australian Veterinary Journal 77:181–185. , and .
- 2013. Behavioral responses of New Zealand fur seals (Arctophoca australis forsteri) to darting and the effectiveness of midazolam and tiletamine-zolazepam for remote chemical immobilization. Marine Mammal Science 29:241–260. , , and .
- 2013. Reversible immobilization of free-ranging adult male California sea lions (Zalophus californianus). Marine Mammal Science 29:E529–E536. , , , , and .
- 1997. Foraging behaviour of adult female and young-of-the-year Steller sea lions in Alaskan waters. Canadian Journal of Zoology 75:776–786. , and .
- 2007. Cardiovasular and pulmonary support. Pages 93–102 in G. West, D. Heard and N. Caulkett, eds. Zoo animal and wildlife immobilization and anesthesia. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, IA. , and .
- 1999. The diving response mechanism and its surprising evolutionary path in seals and sea lions. American Zoologist 39:434–450. , and .
- 2004. The foraging ecology of South American sea lions (Otaria flavescens) on the Patagonian Shelf. Ph.D. thesis, University of Kiel, Kiel, Germany. 126 pp. .,
- 1996. Chemical immobilization of free-ranging terrestrial mammals. Pages 499–504 in H. C. Thurmon, W. J. Tranquilli and G. J. Benson, eds. Lumb and Jones' veterinary anaesthesia. Lupincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA.
- 2000. Chemical restraint of endangered mammals for conservation purposes: A practical primer. Oryx 34:27–33. , and .
- 2005. Inter-sexual differences in New Zealand fur seal diving behavior. Marine Ecological Progress Series 304:249–264. , and .
- 1965. Drugs for handling fur seals. The Journal of Wildlife Management 29:688–693.
- 1994. Immobilization of Juan Fernández fur seals, Arctocephalus phillipi, with ketamine hydrochloride and diazepam. Journal of Wildlife Disease 30:536–540. , and .
- 2004. Reversible anesthesia of captive California sea lions (Zalophus californianus) with medetomidine, Midazolam, butorphanol, and isoflurane. Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine 35:65–69.
- 1980. Pathophysiology associated with capture of 78 wild animals. Pages 403–411 in R. J. Montali and G. Migaki, eds. The comparative pathology of zoo animals. Smithsonian Institute, Washington, DC.
- 1998. Foraging behavior and diet of lactating female southern sea lions (Otaria flavescens) in the Falkland Islands. Journal of Zoology 246:135–146. , , and .
- 2005. The size and status of the population of southern sea lions Otaria flavescens in the Falkland Islands. Biological Conservation 121:357–367. , , and .
- 1983. Ketamine xylazine combination for the immobilization of Galapagos sea lions and fur seals. The Veterinary Record 112:279–280.
- 1979. Immobilization of free-ranging Galapagos sea lions (Zalophus californianus wollebaeki). The Veterinary Record 105:465–466. , and .
- 2006. Chemical immobilization of adult female Weddell seals with tiletamine and zolazepam: Effects of age, condition and stage of lactation. BMC Veterinary Science 8:1–8. , , , and .