Sentimental Drivers of Social Entrepreneurship: A Study of China's Guangcai (Glorious) Program. 社会创业与情操驱动力：中国光彩事业研究
Version of Record online: 14 MAR 2014
© 2013 The International Association for Chinese Management Research
Management and Organization Review
Volume 10, Issue 1, pages 55–80, March 2014
How to Cite
Yiu, D. W., Wan, W. P., Ng, F. W., Chen, X. and Su, J. (2014), Sentimental Drivers of Social Entrepreneurship: A Study of China's Guangcai (Glorious) Program. 社会创业与情操驱动力：中国光彩事业研究. Management and Organization Review, 10: 55–80. doi: 10.1111/more.12043
- Issue online: 14 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 14 MAR 2014
- Accepted manuscript online: 13 DEC 2013 02:15AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 28 DEC 2011
- 2000. Relationship of subjective and objective social class with psychological functioning: Preliminary data in healthy white women. Health Psychology, 19(6): 586–592. , , , &
- 1991. Testing and interpreting interactions in multiple regression. Newbury Park, CA: Sage. , &
- 2012. Happiness runs in a circular motion: Evidence for a positive feedback loop between prosocial spending and happiness. Journal of Happiness Studies, 13(2): 347–355. , , &
- 2004. Social entrepreneurship and societal transformation: An exploratory study. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 40(3): 260–282. , , &
- 2007. Strategic innovation at the base of the pyramid. MIT Sloan Management Review, 49(1): 83–88. , &
- 2006. Indigenous land rights, entrepreneurship, and economic development in Canada: ‘Opting-in’ to the global economy. Journal of World Business, 41(1): 45–55. , , &
- 2006. Social and commercial entrepreneurship: Same, different, or both? Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 30(1): 1–22. , , &
- 2000. An examination of the impact of initial founding conditions and decisions upon the performance of new bank start-ups. Journal of Business Venturing, 15(3): 253–277. , , &
- 2001. The socio-cultural environment for entrepreneurship: A comparison between East Asian and Anglo-Saxon countries. Journal of International Business Studies, 32(3): 537–553. , &
- 1989. Strategic change: The effects of founding and history. Academy of Management Journal, 32(3): 489–515.
- 2008. Policies designed for self-interested citizens may undermine ‘the moral sentiments’: Evidence from economic experiments. Science, 320: 1605–1609.
- 2008. Entrepreneurship in emerging economies: Where we are today and where should the research go in the future. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 32(1): 1–14. , , &
- 1979. A three-dimensional model of corporate social performance. Academy of Management Review, 4(4): 497–505.
- 2004. Investor protection, optimal incentives, and economic growth. Quarterly Journal of Economics, 119(3): 1131–1175. , , &
- 2003. Influencing initial public offering investors with prestige: Signaling with board structures. Academy of Management Review, 28(3): 432–446.
- 2008. Social entrepreneurship: Key issues and concepts. Business Horizons, 51: 267–271. , &
- 2010. Confucian capitalism and the paradox of closure and structural holes in East Asian Firms. Management and Organization Review, 6(1): 5–29. , &
- 2008. The relevance and value of Confucianism in contemporary business ethics. Journal of Business Ethics, 77(3): 347–360.
- 2006. Who are the Chinese private entrepreneurs: A study of entrepreneurial attributes and business governance. Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 13(2): 146–160. , , &
- 2011. Conformity, political participation, and economic rewards: The case of Chinese private entrepreneurs. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 28(3): 529–550. , &
- 1972. Organizational structure, environment and performance: The role of strategic choice. Sociology, 6(1): 2–22.
- China Review News. 2009. Valuing education: The wish of the whole nation. [Cited 11 September 2012.] Available from URL: http://www.chinareviewnews.com/doc/1009/0/5/4/100905444.html?coluid=123&kindid=0&docid=100905444 (In Chinese.)
- Cohen, J. , Cohen, P. , West, S. G. , & Aiken, L. (Eds.). 2003. Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for the behavioral sciences. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- 1994. Initial human and financial capital as predictors of new venture performance. Journal of Business Venturing, 9(5): 371–395. , , &
- 2010. Gendered giving: The influence of social norms on the donation behavior of men and women. International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 15(2): 199–213. , , &
- CSPGP (China Society for Promotion of Guangcai Program). 2011. China Society for Promotion of Guangcai Program home page. [Cited 6 December 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.cspgp.org.cn/13_English/index.htm
- Prize or price? Corporate social responsibility commitment and sales performance in the Chinese private sector. Management and Organization Review, doi: 10.1111/more.12033. , , & in press.
- 2005. Institutions, ownership, and finance: The determinants of profit reinvestment among Chinese firms. Journal of Financial Economics, 77(1): 117–146. , &
- 1983. Measuring individual differences in empathy: Evidence for a multidimensional approach. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 44(1): 113–126.
- 1998. Enterprising nonprofits. Harvard Business Review, 76: 54–67.
- 2002. Strategic tools for social entrepreneurs: Enhancing the performance of your enterprising nonprofit. New York: John Wiley & Sons. , , &
- 1997. The impact of the Cultural Revolution on trends in educational attainment in the People's Republic of China. American Journal of Sociology, 103(2): 391–428. , &
- 2006. Social entrepreneurial ventures: Different values so different processes of creation, no? Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 11: 319–343.
- 2008. Spending money on others promotes happiness. Science, 319: 1687–1688. , , &
- 1990. Organizational growth: Linking founding team, strategy, environment, and growth among U.S. semiconductor ventures, 1978–1988. Administrative Science Quarterly, 35(3): 504–529. , &
- 1979. A psychosocial model of stress and its application to managerial unemployment. Human Relations, 32(4): 323–345.
- 2000. NGO Futures: Beyond aid: NGDO values and the fourth position. Third World Quarterly, 21(4): 589–603.
- 2003. Animal spirits through creative destruction. American Economic Review, 93(3): 530–550. , &
- 2004. Social comparisons and pro-social behavior: Testing ‘conditional cooperation’ in a field experiment. American Economic Review, 94(5): 1717–1722. , &
- 2012. Social enterprises and social categories. In B. Gidron & J. Hasenfeld (Eds.), Social enterprises: An organizational perspective: 47–70. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. , &
- Gujarati, D. N. (Ed.). 1995. Basic econometrics. New York: McGraw Hill.
- 1997. A comparative study of values among Chinese and US entrepreneurs. Journal of Business Venturing, 12(6): 483–505.
- 2010. What do we know about social entrepreneurship: An analysis of empirical research. International Review of Entrepreneurship, 8(2): 71–112. , , &
- 2009. Is Confucianism good for business ethics in China? Journal of Business Ethics, 88(3): 463–476.
- 2011. A conceptual model for social entrepreneurship directed toward social impact on society. Social Enterprise Journal, 7(2): 130–149.
- 2003. Growth and regional inequality in China during the Reform Era. China Economic Review, 14: 186–200. , , &
- 2006. The role of moral sentiments in economic decision making. In D. D. Cremer , M. Zeelenberg & J. K. Murnighan (Eds.), Social psychology and economics: 97–116. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- 1999. Reciprocated community support and small-town small business success. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, 11(3): 231–246. , , &
- 2000. Indigenous, cultural, and cross-cultural psychology: A theoretical, conceptual, and epistemological analysis. Asian Journal of Social Psychology, 3(3): 265–287.
- 2012. The corporatist system and social organizations in China. Management and Organization Review, 8(3): 609–628. , , , &
- 2008. The business case for corporate social responsibility. In A. Crane , A. McWilliams , D. Matten , J. Moon & D. Seigel (Eds.), The Oxford handbook on corporate social responsibility: 83–112. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , , &
- 2012. Innovations in public and nonprofit sector organizations in China. Management and Organization Review, 8(3): 491–506. , &
- 2003. Contemplating ‘enterprise’: The business and legal challenges of social entrepreneurship. American Business Law Journal, 41(1): 67–114. , &
- 2003. The controversial role of personality traits in entrepreneurial psychology. Education + Training, 45(6): 341–345. , &
- 1999. Confucian ethic of death with dignity and its contemporary relevance. Annual of the Society of Christian Ethics, 19: 313–333.
- 2004. Reinventing strategies for emerging markets: Beyond the transnational model. Journal of International Business Studies, 35(5): 350–370. , &
- 2006. Social entrepreneurship: How intentions to create a social enterprise get formed. In J. Mair , J. Robinson & K. Hockerts (Eds.), Social entrepreneurship: 121–135. London: Palgrave Macmillan. , &
- 2008. Institutional environments for entrepreneurship: Evidence from emerging economies in Eastern Europe. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 32(1): 203–218. , , &
- 2012. Venturing for others with heart and head: How compassion encourages social entrepreneurship. Academy of Management Review, 37(4): 616–640. , , , &
- Neter, J. , Wasserman, W. , & Kutner, M. H. (Eds.). 1990. Applied linear statistical models. Homewood, IL: Irwin.
- 2003. Realizing the spirit and impact of Adam Smith's capitalism through entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Ethics, 46(3): 251–261.
- 2010. The influence of personality traits and demographic factors on social entrepreneurship start up intentions. Journal of Business Ethics, 95(2): 259–282. , &
- OHCHR, United Nations. 2009. China Society for Promotion of the Guangcai Program (CSPGP) poverty alleviation work report. [Cited 6 December 2011.] Available from URL: http://www.upr-info.org/IMG/pdf/CSPGP_CHN_UPR_S4_2009anx_PovertyAlleviation.pdf
- 2012. The structure of Chinese cultural traditions: An empirical study of business employees in China. Management and Organization Review, 8(1): 77–95. , , &
- 2001. How entrepreneurs create wealth in transition economies. Academy of Management Executive, 15(1): 95–108.
- 2006. Toward a theory of community-based enterprise. Academy of Management Review, 31(2): 309–328. , &
- 2006. Social entrepreneurship: A critical review of the concept. Journal of World Business, 41(1): 56–65. , &
- 2010. Creativity, innovation, and entrepreneurship in China. Management and Organization Review, 6(2): 175–194. , , &
- 2011. Creating shared value. Harvard Business Review, 89(1/2): 62–77. , &
- 2002. Serving the world's poor, profitably. Harvard Business Review, 80(9): 4–11. , &
- 1990. Capital, labor, and productivity. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity: Microeconomics (Special Issue): 337–367.
- 1989. Imitation, entrepreneurship, and long-run growth. Journal of Political Economy, 97(3): 721–739.
- 2002. The size and development of the shadow economies of 22 transition and 21 OECD countries. IZA Discussion Paper Number 514.
- 1999. The possibility of social choice. American Economic Review, 89(3): 349–378.
- 2003. Bringing individuals back in: The effects of career experience on new firm founding. Industrial and Corporate Change, 12(3): 519–543. , &
- 2008. Identity congruency effects on donations. Journal of Marketing Research, 45(3): 351–361. , , &
- 2006. Gauging the success of social ventures initiated by individual social entrepreneurs. Journal of World Business, 41(1): 6–20. , &
- 2009. Research in social entrepreneurship: Past contributions and future opportunities. Strategic Entrepreneurial Journal, 3(2): 161–194. , , &
- 1997. Corporate versus independent new ventures: Resource, strategy, and performance differences. Journal of Business Venturing, 12(1): 47–66. , &
- 2010. How large is China's rural-urban income gap? In M. K. Whyte (Ed.), One country, two societies: Rural-urban inequality in contemporary China: 85–104. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. , , , &
- 1759. The theory of moral sentiments. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2012. Status differences in the cognitive activation of social networks. Organization Science, 23(1): 67–82. , , &
- 1965. Social structure and oganizations. In J. G. March (Ed.), Handbook of organizations: 142–193. Chicago, IL: Rand McNally.
- 2010. Does giving lead to getting? Evidence from Chinese private enterprises. Journal of Business Ethics, 93(1): 73–90. , &
- 1996. Brainstorming groups in context: Effectiveness in a product design firm. Administrative Science Quarterly, 41(4): 685–718. , &
- 1997. Practical people, noble causes. London: New Economics Foundation. , &
- The New York Times. 2005. China's boom in higher education. [Cited 28 May 2013.] Available from URL: http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2005/10/28/international/20051028_CHINA_GRAPHIC.html
- 2000. Social entrepreneurship – A new look at the people and potential. Management Decision, 38(5): 328–338. , , &
- 1996. In search of legitimacy: The private entrepreneur in China. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 20(1): 21–30.
- 2013. On compassion in scholarship: Why should we care? Academy of Management Review, 38(2): 167–180.
- 2013. Calling for humanistic scholarship in China. Management and Organization Review, 9(1): 1–15. , &
- United Nations. 2000. NGO committee continues review of applications for consultative status. NGO/346 Press Release.
- 2007. Entrepreneurial pursuits of self- and collective interests. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 1(3–4): 353–370. , , &
- 2005. Entrepreneurship selection and performance: A meta-analysis of the impact of education in developing economies. The World Bank Economic Review, 19(2): 225–261. , , &
- 2001. The roots of entrepreneurship and labor demand: Individual ability and low risk aversion. Economica, 68(269): 45–62. , &
- 2012. Building a knowledge-driven society: Scholar participation and governance in large public works projects. Management and Organization Review, 8(3): 535–557.
- 2006. Investigating social entrepreneurship: A multidimensional model. Journal of World Business, 41(1): 21–35. , &
- 1992. Concepts and measurement of prestige. In J. Blake & J. Hagan (Eds.), Annual review of sociology, 18: 253–280. Palo Alto, CA: Annual Reviews.
- Xinhua News. 2013. UN official: Bright future of China due to valuing education. [Cited 11 September 2013.] Available from URL: http://news.xinhuanet.com/edu/2013-07/02/c_124940184.htm (In Chinese.)
- 2011. Social enterprise in China: Driving forces, development patterns and legal framework. Social Enterprise Journal, 7(1): 9–32.
- 2009. Typology of social entrepreneurs: Motives, search processes and ethical challenges. Journal of Business Venturing, 24(5): 519–532. , , , &
- 1994. The status of the private enterprise owners class in Chinese social structure. Journal of Chinese Social Sciences, 6: 100–116.
- 2000. Enterprises and entrepreneurs in the private sector in Chinese transitional society. International Review of Sociology, 10(1): 173–182. , &