Immigration Policing and Medical Care for Farmworkers: Uncertainties and Anxieties in the East Coast Migrant Stream
Article first published online: 27 APR 2014
© 2014 by the American Anthropological Association
North American Dialogue
Volume 17, Issue 1, pages 13–30, April 2014
How to Cite
Alexander, W. L. and Fernandez, M. (2014), Immigration Policing and Medical Care for Farmworkers: Uncertainties and Anxieties in the East Coast Migrant Stream. North American Dialogue, 17: 13–30. doi: 10.1111/nad.12010
- Issue published online: 27 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 27 APR 2014
- American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina (ACLU-NC). 2013. “ACLU-NC Calls New Design of Driver's Licenses for Young Immigrants ‘Huge Step in the Right Direction.’ ” http://www.acluofnorthcarolina.org/index.php/blog/aclu-nc-calls-new-design-of-driver-s-licenses-for-young-immigrants-huge-step-in-the-right-directionhtml, accessed March 21, 2013.
- American Immigration Council. n.d. “The 287(g) Program: A Flawed and Obsolete Method of Immigration Enforcement.” http://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/just-facts/287g-program-flawed-andobsolete-method-immigration-enforment, accessed July 1, 2013.
- 2005. Vita: Life in Zone of Social Abandonment. Berkeley: University of California Press. .
- 2011. Intimate Migrations: Gender, Family, and Illegality among Transnational Mexicans. New York: New York University Press.
- 1999. “Site Effects.” In The Weight of the World: Social Suffering in Contemporary Society. Pierre Bourdieu , ed. Pp. 123–129. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. .
- 2009. Righteous Dopefiend. Berkeley: University of California Press. , and .
- Bureau of Primary Health Care (BPHC). n.d. “Health Center Data North Carolina.” http://bphc.hrsa.gov/uds/doc/2011/UDS_2011_Rollups_NC_Universal.pdf, accessed January 5, 2014.
- California Primary Care Association (CPCA). 2013. “CPCA Issues Statement on Immigration Reform.” January 30, 2013. http://www.cpca.org/index.cfm/about-us/publications/press-room/ceo-statements/january-31-2013/, accessed January 11, 2014.
- 2007. Paying the Price: The Impact of Immigration Raids on America's Children. Washington, DC: Urban Institute and National Council of La Raza. , , , and .
- 2011. “Immigrant Dreams: Legal Pathologies and Structural Vulnerabilities along the Immigration Continuum.” Medical Anthropology, 30(5):475–495. .
- 2008. “The Security Myth: Punishing Immigrants in the Name of National Security.” In Immigration, Integration, and Security: America and Europe in Comparative Perspective. Ariane Chebel d'Appollonia and Simon Reich , eds. Pp. 145–163. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press.
- 2008. “Spectacle in the Desert: The Minuteman Project on the U.S.-Mexico Border.” In Global Vigilantes. David Pratten and Atreyee Sen , eds. Pp. 25–46. New York: Columbia University Press. .
- 2000. Legalizing Moves: Salvadoran Immigrants' Struggle for U.S. Residency. Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press. .
- 1996. Critical Events: An Anthropological Perspective on Contemporary India. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 2002. “Migrant ‘Illegality’ and Deportability in Everyday Life.” Annual Review of Anthropology, 31:419–447. .
- 2004. “The Legal Production of Mexican/Migrant ‘Illegality.’ ” Latino Studies, 2:160–185. .
- 2010. “The Deportation Regime: Sovereignty, Space, and the Freedom of Movement.” In The Deportation Regime: Sovereignty, Space, and the Freedom of Movement. Nicholas De Genova and Nathalie Peutz , eds. Pp. 33–65. Durham, NC: Duke University Press. .
- 2013. “The Securitarian Society of the Spectacle.” In Rhetorics of Insecurity: Belonging and Violence in the Neoliberal Era. Zeynep Gambetti and Marcial Godoy-Anativia , eds. Pp. 213–242. New York: New York University Press. .
- 2010. The Deportation Regime: Sovereignty, Space, and the Freedom of Movement. Durham, NC: Duke University Press. and .
- 2011. “Bare Life: Border-Crossing Deaths and Spaces of Moral Alibi.” Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, 29(4):599–612. .
- Dowling, Julie A. , and Jonathan Xavier Inda , eds. 2013. Governing Immigration through Crime: A Reader. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.
- 2011. “Ethnicity, Well-Being, and the Organization of Labor among Shade Tobacco Workers.” Medical Anthropology, 30(4):409–424. .
- 1992. “Lay Health Advisors as Community Change Agents.” Family & Community Health, 15(1):24–40. , and .
- 2001. Infection and Inequalities: The Modern Plagues. Berkeley: University of California Press. .
- 2004. “An Anthropology of Structural Violence (Sidney W. Mintz Lecture for 2001).” Current Anthropology, 45(3):305–325. .
- 2006. AIDS and Accusation: Haiti and the Geography of Blame. Berkeley: University of California Press. .
- 1977. Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison. New York: Vintage Books. .
- 2003. Society Must Be Defended: Lectures at the Collège De France, 1975–76. New York: Picador. .
- 2007. In Search of Providence: Transnational Mayan Identities. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University Press. .
- 2010. The Pastoral Clinic: Addiction and Dispossession along the Rio Grande. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. .
- 2012. “Mexico's Ghost Towns.” In Globalization: The Transformation of Social Worlds. 3rd edition. D. Stanley Eitzen and Maxine Baca Zinn , eds. Pp. 68–72. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth. .
- 2009. “Immigration as Local Politics: Re-Bordering Immigration through Deterrence and Incapacitation.” International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 33(1):26–42. .
- 2004. The Spectacular City: Violence and Performance in Urban Bolivia. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 2011. Labor and Legality: An Ethnography of a Mexican Immigrant Network. Oxford: Oxford University Press. .
- 2012. “Unsafe Inside or Out: Punitive Immigration Policy and Gendered Violence.” Paper at the Society for Applied Anthropology (SfAA) Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, March 27, 2012. , and .
- 2012. “The Neoliberal Transformation of Mexico.” In Neoliberalism and Commodity Production in Mexico. Thomas Weaver , James B. Greenberg , William L. Alexander , and Anne Browning-Aiken , eds. Pp. 1–32. Boulder, CO: University of Colorado Press. , , , and .
- 2011. “Structural Vulnerability and Hierarchies of Ethnicity and Citizenship on the Farm.” Medical Anthropology, 30(4):425–449.
- 2013. Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies: Migrant Farmworkers in the United States. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 2004. “Different Subjects: The Health Care System's Participation in the Differential Construction of the Cultural Citizenship of Cuban Refugees and Mexican Immigrants.” Medical Anthropology Quarterly, 18(4):472–489.
- “They Leave Their Kidneys in the Fields”: Injury, Illness, and Illegality in California's Central Valley. New York: New York University Press. (manuscript forthcoming). n.d..
- 2009. “ ‘Stains’ on Their Self-Discipline: Public Health, Hygiene, and the Disciplining of Undocumented Immigrant Parents in the Nation's Internal Borderlands.” American Ethnologist, 36(4):784–798. , and .
- 2010. “Stigmatized Biologies: Examining the Cumulative Effects of Oral Health Disparities for Mexican American Farmworker Children.” Medical Anthropology Quarterly, 24(2):199–219. , and .
- Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE). n.d. “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.” http://www.dhs.gov/deferred-action-childhood-arrivals, accessed March 2, 2013.
- 2013. “Introduction: Governing Migrant Illegality.” In Governing Immigration Through Crime: A Reader. Julie A. Dowling and Jonathan Xavier Inda , eds. Pp. 1–36. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. , and .
- 2006. “Fluid Labor and Blood Money: The Economy of HIV/AIDS in Rural Central China.” Cultural Anthropology, 21(4):535–569. .
- 2009. “Stress, Allostatic Load and Health of Mexican Immigrants.” Social Science Quarterly, 90(5):1089–1111. , , , and .
- 1998. “Transnationalism in California and Mexico at the End of Empire.” In Border Identities: Nation and State at International Frontiers. Thomas M. Wilson and Hastings Donnan , eds. Pp. 117–141. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2011. “Illegal” Traveller: An Auto-Ethnography of Borders. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. .
- 2006. “Anthropology in the Clinic: The Problem of Cultural Competency and How to Fix It.” PLoS Medicine, 3(10):e294. , and .
- 1997. “Introduction.” In Social Suffering. Arthur Kleinman , Veena Das , and Margaret Lock , eds. Pp. ix–xxvii. Berkeley: University of California Press. , , and .
- 1997. “The Appeal of Experience; The Dismay of Images: Cultural Appropriations of Suffering in Our Time.” In Social Suffering. Arthur Kleinman , Veena Das , and Margaret Lock , eds. Pp. 1–23. Berkeley: University of California Press. , and .
- 2011. Bio-Politics: An Advanced Introduction. New York: New York University Press. .
- 2010. An Anthropology of Biomedicine. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell. , and .
- 2013. “Virtual Issue: Precarity.” Anthropology of Work Review. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/awr.12000/abstract, accessed July 6, 2013. .
- 2010. “Radical Deportation: Alien Tales from Lodi and San Francisco.” In The Deportation Regime: Sovereignty, Space, and the Freedom of Movement. Nicholas De Genova and Nathalie Peutz , eds. Pp. 295–325. Durham, NC: Duke University Press. .
- 1998. “Protective and Damaging Effects of Stress Mediators.” New England Journal of Medicine, 338(3): 171–179.
- 2002. The End of Stress As We Know It. Washington, DC: Joseph Henry Press.
- 2003. “Undocumentedness and Liminality as Health Variables.” Advances in Nursing Science, 26(3): 185–196. , and .
- 2011. Protest Psychosis: How Schizophrenia Became a Black Disease. Boston, MA: Beacon Press. .
- 2013. “On Precariousness and the Ethical Imagination: The Year 2012 in Sociocultural Anthropology.” American Anthropologist, 115(2):297–311. .
- National Association of Community Health Centers (NACHC). n.d. http://www.nachc.com/client//Grassroots%20talking%20points%20House%20Dem%20Cliff%20Letter_October2013.pdf, accessed January 5, 2014.
- National Immigration Law Center. 2013. “Are Individuals Granted Deferred Action under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Policy Eligible for State Driver's Licenses?” http://www.nilc.org/dacadriverslicenses.html (updated June 19 2013), accessed January 14, 2014.
- NC Policy Watch. 2007. “What If It Wasn't about Immigration at All?” January 27, 2007. http://www.ncpolicywatch.com/2007/01/27/what-if-it-wasn%E2%80%99t-about-immigration-at-all/, accessed March 1, 2013.
- 2005. “Aliens as Outlaws: Government Services, Proposition 187, and the Structure of the Equal Protection Doctrine.” UCLA Law Review, 42:1425–1452. .
- 2010. “The 287(g) Program: The Costs and Consequences of Local Immigration Enforcement in North Carolina Communities.” The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Latin Migration Project Final Report, February 2010. http://isa.unc.edu/files/2012/06/287g_report_final.pdf, accessed July 14, 2013. , and .
- 2008. Global Health: Why Cultural Perceptions, Social Representations, and Biopolitics Matter. Tucson: University of Arizona Press. .
- North Carolina Council of Churches. 2011. “The Spread of Toxic Immigration Laws.” October 14, 2011. http://www.ncchurches.org/2011/10/southeastern-states-implement-draconian-laws-targeting-immigrants/, accessed March 1, 2013.
- 2011. “Anti-Immigrant Arizona: Ripple Effects and Mixed Immigration Status Households under ‘Policies of Attrition’ Considered.” Journal of Borderlands Studies, 26(1):115–133. , and .
- 2006. Neoliberalism as Exception: Mutations in Citizenship and Sovereignty. Durham, NC: Duke University Press. .
- 2010. “Introduction.” In The Deportation Regime: Sovereignty, Space, and the Freedom of Movement. Nicholas De Genova and Nathalie Peutz , eds. Pp. 1–29. Durham, NC: Duke University Press. , and .
- 2008. “Migration and Social Change: Some Conceptual Reflections.” Center for Migration and Development, Princeton University, Working Paper Series Paper #08-04, August 2008. .
- 2011. “No Soy Welferero: Undocumented Laborers in the Crosshairs of Legitimation Maneuvers.” Medical Anthropology, 30(4):386–408. .
- 2011. “Structural Vulnerability and Health: Latino Migrant Laborers in the United States.” Medical Anthropology, 30(4):339–362. , , and .
- 2013. “Arizona: Naming the Dead from the Desert.” BBC News, January 17, 2013. .
- 2006. “Understanding the Success of Promotoras in Increasing Chronic Disease Screening.” Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 17(2):256–264. , , , , , and .
- 2012. “Globalization and the Struggle for Immigrant Rights in the United States.” In Globalization: The Transformation of Social Worlds. 3rd edition. D. Stanley Eitzen and Maxine Baca Zinn , eds. Pp. 52–57. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth. .
- 1997. “Cultural Citizenship, Inequality, and Multiculturalism.” In Latino Cultural Citizenships. William V. Flores and Rina Benmayor , eds. Pp. 27–38. Boston, MA: Beacon Press. .
- 2013. “ICE's New Record.” New York Times, February 15, 2013. http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/ices-new-record/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0, accessed February 28, 2014. .
- 2007. A Humanitarian Crisis at the Border: New Estimates of Deaths among Unauthorized Immigrants. Tucson, AZ: Immigration Policy Center. , , , and .
- 2011. “Arizona's SB 1070: Setting Conditions For Violations of Human Rights Here and Beyond.” In Sociology and Human Rights: A Bill of Rights for the Twenty-First Century. Judith Blau and Mark Frezzo , eds. Pp. 155–178. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. , , and .
- 2009. “The Politics of Street Children in Chile.” In Lost in the Long Transition: Struggles for Social Justice in Neoliberal Chile. William L. Alexander , ed. Pp. 169–183. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. .
- 1996. “A Dose of Drugs, a Touch of Violence, a Case of AIDS: Conceptualizing the SAVA Syndemic.” Free Inquiry, 24(2):99–110. .
- 2003. “Syndemics and Public Health: Reconceptualizing Disease in Bio-Social Context.” Medical Anthropology Quarterly, 17(4):423–441. , and .
- 2011. “The Illegal and the Dead: Are Mexicans Renewable Energy?” Medical Anthropology, 30(5): 454–474. .
- 2006. “The Crimmigration Crisis: Immigrants, Crime, and Sovereign Power.” American University Law Review, 56(2):367–419. .
- 2013. “The States of Immigration.” William and Mary Law Review, 54(4):1339–1407. .
- 2010. “Deportation in the U.S.-Mexico Borderlands: Anticipation, Experience, and Memory.” In The Deportation Regime: Sovereignty, Space, and the Freedom of Movement. Nicholas De Genova and Nathalie Peutz , eds. Pp. 166–195. Durham, NC: Duke University Press. , , and .
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). n.d. “Victims of Criminal Activity: U Nonimmigrant Status.” http://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/victims-human-trafficking-other-crimes/victims-criminal-activity-u-nonimmigrant-status/victims-criminal-activity-u-nonimmigrant-status, accessed July 6, 2013.
- United States Department of Justice. 2012. “Justice Department Releases Investigative Findings on the Alamance County, N.C., Sheriff's Office (press release).” September 18, 2012. http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2012/September/12-crt-1125.html, accessed March 1, 2013.
- 2010. “A Bi-national Assessment of the Disease Burden of Tuberculosis in Mexican Indigenous Migrant Communities in Sonora and Arizona.” Final report submitted to Programma de Investigación de Migración y Salud (PIMSA). , , and .
- 2012. Neoliberalism and Commodity Production in Mexico. Boulder: University Press of Colorado. , , , and .
- 2013. Medical Anthropology: A Biocultural Approach. 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , and .