News and Views
Diet modelling: How it can inform the development of dietary recommendations and public health policy
Article first published online: 19 FEB 2014
© 2014 British Nutrition Foundation
Volume 39, Issue 1, pages 115–125, March 2014
How to Cite
Buttriss, J. L., Briend, A., Darmon, N., Ferguson, E. L., Maillot, M. and Lluch, A. (2014), Diet modelling: How it can inform the development of dietary recommendations and public health policy. Nutrition Bulletin, 39: 115–125. doi: 10.1111/nbu.12076
- Issue published online: 19 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 19 FEB 2014
- Australian Government, Department of Health and Ageing, National Health et al. (2006) Nutrient Reference Values for Australia and New Zealand including Recommended Dietary Intakes. Available at: http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/publications/attachments/n35.pdf (accessed 2 December 2013).
- 2012) National Diet and Nutrition Survey. Headline Results from Years 1, 2 and 3 (Combined) of the Rolling Programme (2008/09–2010/11). Department of Health & Food Standards Agency, London. , , et al. (
- 2013) The SMILING project: a North-South-South collaborative action to prevent micronutrient deficiencies in women and young children in Southeast Asia. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 34: S133–139. , , et al. (
- 2013) Food security through the lens of nutrition. Nutrition Bulletin 38: 254–261. (
- 2007) The Low-Cost, Moderate-Cost, and Liberal Food Plans (CNPP-20). Available at: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/FoodPlans/MiscPubs/FoodPlans2007AdminReport.pdf (accessed 2 December 2013). , & (
- Central Intelligence Agency (2013) The World Factbook 2013–2014. Obesity Adult Prevalence Rate. Central Intelligence Agency, Washington, DC. Available at: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/fields/print_2228.html (accessed 2 December 2013).
- 2013) Designing appropriate complementary feeding recommendations: tools for programmatic action. Maternal & Child Nutrition 9: 116–130. , , et al. (
- 1990) The diet problem. Interfaces 20: 43–47. (
- 2002) A cost constraint alone has adverse effects on food selection and nutrient density: an analysis of human diets by linear programming. The Journal of Nutrition 132: 3764–3771. , & (
- 2003) Do economic constraints encourage the selection of energy dense diets? Appetite 41: 315–322. , & (
- 2006) Impact of a cost constraint on nutritionally adequate food choices for French women: an analysis by linear programming. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior 38: 82–90. , & (
- 2009) Nutrient profiles discriminate between foods according to their contribution to nutritionally adequate diets: a validation study using linear programming and the SAIN,LIM system. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 89: 1227–1236. , , et al. (
- 1984) The discovery of linear programming. Annals of the History of Computing 6: 283–295. (
- 1994) Linear programming techniques for the construction of palatable human diets. The Journal of the Operational Research Society 45: 489–496. , & (
- 2004) Dietary variety increases the probability of nutrient adequacy among adults. The Journal of Nutrition 134: 1779–1785. , , et al. (
- Foresight (2011) The Future of Food and Farming: Challenges and Choices for Global Sustainability. London. Available at: http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/foresight/docs/food-and-farming/11-546-future-of-food-and-farming-report.pdf (accessed 2 December 2013).
- 2012) What linear programming contributes: world food programme experience with the ‘cost of the diet’ tool. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 33: S228–234. , , et al. (
- 2006) The 2005 USDA Food Guide Pyramid is associated with more adequate nutrient intakes within energy constraints than the 1992 Pyramid. The Journal of Nutrition 136: 1341–1346. , , et al. (
- Global Food Security (2012) Global Food Security Programme – A survey of public attitudes. Available at: http://www.foodsecurity.ac.uk/assets/pdfs/gfs-survey-public-attitudes.pdf (accessed 2 December 2013).
- Global Food Security (2013) Global Food Security Programme – Food waste within global food systems. Available at: http://www.foodsecurity.ac.uk/assets/pdfs/food-waste-report.pdf (accessed 2 December 2013).
- 2003) The National Diet & Nutrition Survey: Adults Aged 19 to 64 Years: Volume 3: Vitamin and Mineral Intake and Urinary Analytes. The Stationery Office: London. , , et al. (
- 2007) Eating well with Canada's Food Guide (2007): development of the food intake pattern. Nutrition Reviews 65: 155–166. , , et al. (
- 2006) Low-energy-density diets are associated with high diet quality in adults in the United States. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 106: 1172–1180. , , et al. (
- 2012) Sustainable diets for the future: can we contribute to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by eating a healthy diet? The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 96: 632–639. , , et al. (
- 2011) Energy allowances for solid fats and added sugars in nutritionally adequate U.S. diets estimated at 17–33% by a linear programming model. The Journal of Nutrition 141: 333–340. & (
- 2007) Low energy density and high nutritional quality are each associated with higher diet costs in French adults. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 86: 690–696. , , et al. (
- 2008) Nutrient profiling can help identify foods of good nutritional quality for their price: a validation study with linear programming. The Journal of Nutrition 138: 1107–1113. , , et al. (
- 2009) To meet nutrient recommendations, most French adults need to expand their habitual food repertoire. The Journal of Nutrition 139: 1721–1727. , , et al. (
- 2010) Individual diet modeling translates nutrient recommendations into realistic and individual-specific food choices. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 91: 421–430. , , et al. (
- 2011a) Quantifying the contribution of foods with unfavourable nutrient profiles to nutritionally adequate diets. The British Journal of Nutrition 105: 1133–1137. , , et al. (
- 2011b) The shortest way to reach nutritional goals is to adopt Mediterranean food choices: evidence from computer-generated personalized diets. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 94: 1127–1137. , , et al. (
- 2001) Nutritional recommendations for the French population. Sciences Des Aliments 21: 317–458. (
- 2009) Diet optimization methods can help translate dietary guidelines into a cancer prevention food plan. The Journal of Nutrition 139: 1541–1548. , , et al. (
- 2013) Mapping low intake of micronutrients across Europe. The British Journal of Nutrition 110: 755–773. , , et al. (
- 2006) Simple measures of dietary variety are associated with improved dietary quality. Journal of the American Dietetic Association 106: 425–429. , , et al. (
- Office for National Statistics (2012) 2011 Census: Key Statistics for England and Wales, March 2011. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_290685.pdf (accessed 2 December 2013).
- 2013) Household food and drink waste in the United Kingdom 2012. WRAP. Available at: http://www.wrap.org.uk/sites/files/wrap/hhfdw-2012-main.pdf (accessed 2 December 2013). , & (
- 2008) Linear programming can help identify practical solutions to improve the nutritional quality of food aid. Public Health Nutrition 11: 395–404. , & (
- SACN (2008) The Nutritional Wellbeing of the British Population. The Stationary Office: London.
- 2012) Healthy life expectancy for 187 countries, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden Disease Study 2010. Lancet 380: 2144–2162. , , et al. (
- 2009) Development of food-based complementary feeding recommendations for 9- to 11-month-old peri-urban Indonesian infants using linear programming. The Journal of Nutrition 139: 135–141. , & (
- 2008) Low energy density diets are associated with favorable nutrient intake profile and adequacy in free-living elderly men and women. The Journal of Nutrition 138: 1476–1481. , , et al. (
- 1945) The cost of subsistence. Journal of Farm Economics 27: 303–314. (
- 2013) LiveWell for Life. A balance of healthy and sustainable food choices for France, Spain, and Sweden. WWF Report. Available at: http://livewellforlife.eu/livewell-plate/reports (accessed 2 December 2013). , , et al. (
- 2009) Using the thrifty food plan to assess the cost of a nutritious diet. Journal of Consumer Affairs 43: 274–304. & (
- 2013) Foods and dietary patterns that are healthy, low-cost, and environmentally sustainable: a case study of optimization modeling for New Zealand. PLoS ONE 8: e59648. , , et al. (