Beyond Offers and Counteroffers: The Impact of Interaction Time and Negotiator Job Satisfaction on Subjective Outcomes in Negotiation
Article first published online: 17 JAN 2013
© 2013 President and Fellows of Harvard College
Volume 29, Issue 1, pages 39–60, January 2013
How to Cite
Chi, S.-C. S., Friedman, R. A. and Shih, H.-L. (2013), Beyond Offers and Counteroffers: The Impact of Interaction Time and Negotiator Job Satisfaction on Subjective Outcomes in Negotiation. Negotiation Journal, 29: 39–60. doi: 10.1111/nejo.12004
- Issue published online: 17 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 17 JAN 2013
- 2005. The negotiation dance: Time, culture, and behavioral sequences in negotiation. Organization Science 16(1): 33–51. and .
- 2007. Examining the effect of salesperson service behavior in a competitive context. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 35(4): 603–616. , , and .
- 1991. Multiple regression: Testing and interpreting interactions. Newbury Park, CA: Sage. and .
- 1977. Bargaining process as a determinant of postpurchase satisfaction. Journal of Applied Psychology 62(4): 487–492. , , , and .
- 1991. The group and what happens on the way to “yes”. Negotiation Journal 7(2): 155–174. , , and .
- 2004. Affect from the top down: How powerful individuals’ positive affect shapes negotiations. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 95(2): 125–139. and .
- 1991. Fair driving: Gender and race discrimination in retail car negotiations. Harvard Law Review 104(4): 817–852.
- 2009. How to manage your negotiating team. Harvard Business Review 87(9): 105–109. , , and .
- 1998. Attitudes in and around organizations. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- 1989. Job attitude organization: An exploratory study. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 19(9): 717–729. and .
- 1973. Questionnaire wording and translation. In Cross-cultural research methods, edited by R. W. Brislin , W. J. Lonner , R. M. Thorndike . New York: Wiley.
- 2008. Customer relationship management. Boston: Butterworth-Heinemann.
- 2001. Salesperson characteristics affecting consumer complaint responses. Journal of Consumer Behaviour 1(2): 124–139. , , and .
- 2005. Reassessing the pleasures of store shopping. Journal of Business Research 58(3): 250–259. , , and .
- 2010. The objective value of subjective value: A multi-round negotiation study. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 40(3): 690–709. , , and .
- 2006. What do people value when they negotiate? Mapping the domain of subjective value in negotiation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 91(3): 493–512. , and .
- 1996. A measure of service quality for retail stores: Scale development and validation. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 24(1): 3–16. , , and .
- 2004. Internal benefits of service-worker customer orientation: Job satisfaction, commitment, and organizational citizenship behaviors. Journal of Marketing 68(1): 128–146. , , and .
- 1999. Impact of participative service relationships on quality, satisfaction and retention: An exploratory study. Journal of Business Research 46(2): 121–132. and .
- 1975. Reciprocity and concession making in bargaining. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 31: 864–872. , and .
- 1991. Getting to yes: Negotiating agreement without giving in. New York: Penguin Books. , , and .
- 2001. Affective influences on judgments, decision making and behavior in organizations: An information processing perspective. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 86(1): 3–34. and .
- 2001. First offers as anchors: The role of perspective-taking and negotiator focus. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 81(4): 657–669. and .
- 2002. The dissatisfaction of having your first offer accepted: The role of counterfactual thinking in negotiations. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 28(2): 271–283. , , .
- 2008. Why negotiators should reveal their deadlines: Disclosing weaknesses can make you stronger. Negotiation and Conflict Management Research 1(1): 77–96. and .
- 1998. The effects of price-comparison advertising on buyer's perceptions of acquisition value, transaction value and behavioral intentions. Journal of Marketing 62(April): 46–59. , , and .
- 2008. Emotion cycles: On the social influence of emotion in organizations. Research in Organizational Behavior 28(July): 35–59. and .
- 2007. The influence of price fairness on customer satisfaction: An empirical test in the context of automobile purchases. Journal of Product and Brand Management 16(1): 49–58. , , , and .
- 2010. The service profit chain from satisfaction to ownership. In Handbook of service science, edited by P. P. Maglio , C. A. Kieliszewski , and J. C. Spohrer . New York: Springer. and .
- 2009. Personality and citizenship behavior: The mediating role of job satisfaction. Journal of Applied Psychology 94(4): 945–959. , , , and .
- 1999. Relationship quality and buyer-seller interactions in channels of distributions. Journal of Business Research 46(3): 303–313. , , and .
- 2003. Flattery may get you somewhere: The strategic implications of providing positive vs. negative feedback about ability vs. ethicality in negotiation. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 90(2): 225–243. , , and .
- 2006. The three faces of Eve: Strategic displays of positive, negative, and neutral emotions in negotiations. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 99(1): 81–101. , , and .
- 2005. “Ren Qing” versus the “Big 5”: The role of culturally sensitive measures of individual difference in distributive negotiations. Management and Organization Review 1(2): 225–247. , , and .
- 2006. Does the introduction of the Euro have an effect on subjective hypotheses about the price-quality relationship? Journal of Consumer Behaviour 5(3): 204–210. and .
- 1984. Does job satisfaction lead to consideration and personal sensitivity? Academy of Management Journal 27(4): 910–915.
- 1999. The information dilemma in negotiations: Effects of experience, incentives, and integrative potential. The International Journal of Conflict Management 10(4): 313–339. , , , and .
- National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). 1964. General Electric Co. and International Union of Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers AFL-CIO. Labor Law Reports 75: 60–102.
- 1978. Psychometric theory. New York: McGraw- Hill.
- 2000. Understanding optimal outcomes: The role of strategy sequences in competitive negotiations. Human Communication Research 26(4): 527–557. and .
- 1995. A meta-analytic review of attitudinal and dispositional predictors of organizational citizenship behavior. Personnel Psychology 48(4): 775–802. and .
- 1991. Perceived service quality as a customer-based performance measure: An empirical examination of organizational barriers using an extended service quality model. Human Resource Management 30(3): 335–364. , , and .
- 1985. A conceptual model of service quality and its implications for future research. Journal of Marketing 49(4): 41–50. , , and .
- 2008. Emotions as strategic information: Effects of other's emotions on fixed-pie perception, demands and integrative behavior in negotiation. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 44(6): 1444–1454. , , , and .
- 1994. The impact of alternatives to settlement in dyadic negotiation. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 57(1): 97–116. , , and .
- 1999. Commercial friendships: Service provider–client relationships in context. Journal of Marketing 63(4): 38–56. and .
- 1993. Negotiation in social conflict. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole. , and .
- 2001. Service with a smile: Emotional contagion in the service encounter. Academy of Management Journal 44(5): 1018–1027.
- 1994. Dissociation and disturbances of self. In Dysfunctions of the self, edited by D. Cicchetti and S. L. Toth . Rochester, NY: University of Rochester Press.
- 1979. The 1977 quality of employment survey. Ann Arbor: Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan. and .
- 1989. The expression of emotion in organizational life. In Research in organizational behavior, edited by L. L. Cummings and B. M. Staw . Greenwich, CT: JAI Press. and .
- 1997. Consumer satisfaction with health-care services: The influence of involvement. Psychology and Marketing 14(3): 261–285. and .
- 1997. Quality tier competition: How price change influences brand choice and category choice. The Journal of Marketing 61(3): 71–84. and .
- 1983. Organizational citizenship behavior: Its nature and antecedents. Journal of Applied Psychology 68(4): 653–663. , , and .
- 1969. The measurement of satisfaction in work and retirement. Chicago: Rand McNally. , , and .
- 1974. Judgment under uncertainty: Heuristics and biases. Science 185(4157): 1124–1131. and .
- 1986. An experimental examination of the economics of information. The Journal of Consumer Research 13(2): 257–271.
- 1996. Price search in the retail grocery market. Journal of Marketing 60(2): 91–104. , , and .
- 2009. How emotions regulate social life. Current Directions in Psychological Science 18(3): 184–188.Direct Link:
- 2004. The interpersonal effects of anger and happiness in negotiations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 86(1): 57–76. , , and .
- 2010. An interpersonal approach to emotion in social decision making: The emotions as social information model. In Advances in experimental social psychology (42: 45–96), edited by M. P. Zanna . Burlington, MA: Academic Press. , , and .
- 1977. Operantly conditioning a negotiator's concession making. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology 13(5): 431–440.
- 1989. Consumer behavior: A decision-making approach. Cincinnati, OH: South-Western Publishing Co. and .
- 1990. Tactical behavior and negotiation outcomes. International Journal of Conflict Management 1(1): 7–31. , , , and .