Relationship between clinical fieldwork educator performance and health professional students' perceptions of their practice education learning environments
Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2013
© 2013 Wiley Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Nursing & Health Sciences
Volume 15, Issue 4, pages 510–517, December 2013
How to Cite
Brown, T., Williams, B. and Lynch, M. (2013), Relationship between clinical fieldwork educator performance and health professional students' perceptions of their practice education learning environments. Nursing & Health Sciences, 15: 510–517. doi: 10.1111/nhs.12065
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 18 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 6 DEC 2012
- Examination of a clinical teaching effectiveness instrument used for summative faculty assessment. Eval. Health Prof. 2007; 30: 339–361. , .
- Fieldwork within the context of higher education: a literature review. Br. J. Occup. Ther. 2001; 64: 93–99. .
- Planning Classroom Management: A Five-step Process to Creating A Positive Learning Environment (2nd edn). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, 2006. .
- Characteristics of effective clinical teachers. Fam. Med. 2005; 37: 30–35. , .
- Assessing nursing students' perceptions of hospital learning environment. Thesis (PhD), Curtin University of Technology, 1999. [Cited 30 Nov 2012.] Available from URL: http://adt.curtin.edu.au/theses/available/adt-WCU20020429.092929. .
- Development of an innovative tool to assess hospital learning environments. Nurse Educ. Today 2001; 21: 624–631. .
- Development of the Clinical Learning Environment Inventory: using the theoretical framework of learning environment studies to assess nursing students' perceptions of the hospital as a learning environment. J. Nurs. Educ. 2002; 41: 69–75. .
- Validation of the clinical learning environment inventory. West. J. Nurs. Res. 2003; 25: 519–532. .
- Developing and testing an instrument to measure the effectiveness of clinical teaching in an academic medical center. Acad. Med. 2000; 75: 161–166. , .
- Psychometric properties of the Dundee Ready Education Environment Measure (DREEM) applied to medical residents. Med. Teach. 2005; 4: 343–347. , , .
- Resilient Classrooms: Creating Healthy Environments for Learning. New York: Guilford Press, 2004. , , .
- Undergraduate nursing students' perceptions of their clinical learning environment. J. Adv. Nurs. 1997; 25: 1299–1306. , .
- Competency-based medical education: theory to practice. Med. Teach. 2010; 32: 638–645. , , et al.
- Strategic planning in medical education: enhancing the learning environment for students in clinical settings. Med. Educ. 2000; 34: 841–850. , , et al.
- Managing Pupil Behaviour: Improving the Classroom Atmosphere (2nd edn). New York: Routledge, 2012. .
- Nursing students' perceptions of learning in practice environments: a review. Nurse Educ. Today 2012; 32: 299–302. , , , .
- Classroom Management: Creating A Positive Learning Environment. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2008. , .
- Hong Kong nursing students' perceptions of the clinical environment: a questionnaire survey. Int. J. Nurs. Stud. 2005; 42: 665–672. , .
- Factors affecting ratings of clinical teachers by medical students and residents. J. Med. Educ. 1987; 62: 1–7. , , .
- Practical Classroom Management. Boston, MA: Pearson/Allyn and Bacon Publishers, 2011. .
- Informing fieldwork design: key elements to quality in fieldwork education for undergraduate occupational therapy students. Aust. Occup. Ther. J. 2007; 54 (s1): S13–S22. , , .
- Clinical education facilitators: a literature review. J. Clin. Nurs. 2005; 14: 664–673. , .
- University students' perceptions of the learning environment and academic outcomes: implications for theory and practice. Stud. High. Educ. 2002; 27: 27–52. , , .
- Working to learn and learning to work: placement experience of project 2000 nursing students in Scotland. Nurse Educ. Today 1998; 18: 630–636. , .
- OECD. TALIS 2008 technical report. 2010. [Cited 23 Nov 2012.] Available from URL: http://ezproxy.lib.monash.edu.au/login?url=http://www.sourceoecd.org/9789264079854.
- DREEM on, dentists! Students' perceptions of the educational environment in a German dental school as measured by the Dundee Ready Education Environment Measure. Eur. J. Dent. Educ. 2012; 16: 67–77. , , , , .
- Clinical environment as a learning environment: student nurses' perceptions concerning clinical learning experiences. Nurse Educ. Today 2003; 23: 262–268. , , .
- The Dundee Ready Education Environment Measure (DREEM) – a generic instrument for measuring students' perceptions of undergraduate health professions curricula. Med. Teach. 2005; 27: 322–325. .
- Development and validation of the Dundee Ready Education Environment Measure (DREEM). Med. Teach. 1997; 19: 295–299. , , et al.
- A global diagnostic tool for measuring educational environment: comparing Nigeria and Nepal. Med. Teach. 2001; 23: 378–382. , , , .
- Improving learning in the clinical nursing environment: perceptions of senior Australian Bachelor of Nursing students. J. Res. Nurs. 2010; 15: 75–88. , .
- Learning and teaching in the clinical environment. (ABC of learning and teaching in medicine). BMJ 2003; 326: 591–594. .
- Dentistry, nursing, and medicine: a comparison of core competencies. J. Dent. Educ. 2005; 69: 1257–1271. , , , .
- Identifying the perceived weakness of a new curriculum by means of the Dundee Ready Education Environment Measure (DREEM) Inventory. Med. Teach. 2004; 26: 39–45. .
- Reliability of the clinical teaching effectiveness instrument. Med. Educ. 2005; 39: 904–910. , , , , .
- Applied Linear Regression (2nd edn). New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2005. .
- Communities of Practice: Learning, Meaning, and Identity. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 1998. .
- Effective fieldwork supervision: Occupational therapy student perspectives. Aust. Occup.Ther. J. 1997; 44: 147–157.