Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms
Overweight and television and computer habits in Swedish school-age children and adolescents: A cross-sectional study
Version of Record online: 24 JUN 2013
© 2013 Wiley Publishing Asia Pty Ltd
Nursing & Health Sciences
Volume 16, Issue 2, pages 143–148, June 2014
How to Cite
Garmy, P., Clausson, E. K., Nyberg, P. and Jakobsson, U. (2014), Overweight and television and computer habits in Swedish school-age children and adolescents: A cross-sectional study. Nursing & Health Sciences, 16: 143–148. doi: 10.1111/nhs.12076
- Issue online: 26 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 24 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 APR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 29 APR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 SEP 2012
- Södra Sveriges Sjuksköterskehem SSSH
- Queen Silvia Jubilee Fund
- Fanny Ekdahl Foundation for Paediatric Research
- Swedish Insurance Society
- Ebba Danelius Foundation (of the Swedish Society of Nursing)
- Kempe-Carlgrenska Foundation
- Swedish Sleep Research Society
- Practical Statistics for Medical Research. London: Champan & Hall, 1991. .
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Children, adolescents, and television. Pediatrics 2001; 107: 423–426.
- Associations of home food availability, dietary intake, screen time and physical activity with BMI in young American-Indian children. Public Health Nutr. 2012; 29: 1–10. , , et al.
- Shortened nighttime sleep duration in early life and subsequent childhood obesity. Arch. Pediatr. Adolesc. Med. 2010; 164: 840–845. , .
- Meta-analysis of short sleep duration and obesity in children and adults. Sleep 2008; 31: 619–626. , , et al.
- Family intervention sessions. One useful way to improve schoolchildren's mental health. J. Fam. Nurs. 2008; 14: 289–313. , .
- An integrative research review: effective school-based childhood overweight interventions. J. Spec. Pediatr. Nurs. 2006; 11: 166–177. , , , .
- Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ 2000; 320: 1240–1243. , , , .
- The relationship between school day sleep duration and body mass index in Norwegian children (aged 10–12). Int. J. Pediatr. Obes. 2010; 5: 214–220. , , , , .
- An overview of the school nursing role in Sweden. Br. J. Sch. Nurs. 2009; 4: 511–514. .
- Perception of overweight is associated with poor academic performance in US adolescents. J. Sch. Health 2011; 81: 663–670. , , .
- Cardiovascular disease risk in healthy children and its association with body mass index: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2012; 345: e4759. , , , , , .
- Short sleep duration is associated with increased obesity markers in European adolescents: effect of physical activity and dietary habits. The HELENA study. Int. J. Obes. (Lond.) 2011; 35: 1308–1317. , , et al.
- The cardiometabolic syndrome in the adolescent. Pediatr. Endocrinol. Rev. 2008; 5 (Suppl. 4): 964–968. , , .
- Overweight and life style in ten year old children. Nordic J. Nurs. Res. Clin. Stud. 2007; 1: 27–30. , .
- Development and psychometric evaluation of a new instrument for measuring sleep length and television and computer habits in Swedish school-age children. J. Sch. Nurs. 2012a; 28: 138–143. , , .
- Sleep and television and computer habits of Swedish school-age children. J. Sch. Nurs. 2012b; 28: 469–476. , , .
- Self-esteem and quality of life in obese children and adolescents: a systematic review. Int. J. Pediatr. Obes. 2010; 5: 282–304. , , .
- Prevalence and risk factors of excess weight in school children in West Greece. Nurs. Health Sci. 2012; 14: 372–380. , , , , .
- TV-viewing and obesity among Norwegian children: the importance of parental education. Acta Paediatr. 2013; 102: 199–205. , , , , .
- Children's overweight and obesity: local and national monitoring using electronic health records. Scand. J. Public Health 2009; 37: 201–205. , , , .
- Childhood obesity and risk of the adult metabolic syndrome: a systematic review. Int. J. Obes. (Lond.) 2012; 36: 1–11. , , .
- Review on epidemic of obesity. Ann. Acad. Med. Singapore 2009; 38: 57–59. , , .
- Biostatistics the Bare Essentials (3rd edn). Hamilton: BC Decker Inc, 2008. , .
- Evidence that the prevalence of childhood overweight is plateauing: data from nine countries. Int. J. Pediatr. Obes. 2011; 6: 342–360. , , et al.
- Obesity in children and adolescents. Indian J. Med. Res. 2010; 132: 598–607. , .
- Mental health, wellness, and childhood overweight/obesity. J. Obes. 2012. Article ID 281801, 9 pages. doi: 10.1155/2012/281801. , , , .
- Television, reading, and computer time: correlates of school-day leisure-time sedentary behavior and relationship with overweight in children in the U.S. J. Phys. Act. Health 2011; 8 (Suppl. 2): S188–S197. , , , .
- Recent anthropometric trends among Swedish school children: evidence for decreasing prevalence of overweight in girls. Acta Paediatr. 2008; 97: 118–123. , , , .
- Overweight and obesity in a representative sample of schoolchildren – exploring the urban–rural gradient in Sweden. Obes. Rev. 2011; 12: 305–314. , , , , , .
- Childhood overweight and obesity prevalences levelling off in Stockholm but socioeconomic differences persist. Int. J. Obes. 2008; 32: 1525–1530. , , , , .
- Lund i siffror [Statistics of Lund]. City of Lund. Kommunkontoret. 2009; 02. , .
- The National Board of Health and Welfare [Socialstyrelsen]. Socialstyrelsens riktlinjer för skolhälsovården [Guidelines for School Health Care]. 2004. Stockholm: Sweden.
- Systematic review of sedentary behaviour and health indicators in school-aged children and youth. Int. J. Behav. Nutr. Phys. Act. 2011; 8: doi: 10.1186/1479-5868-8-98. , , et al.
- Interventions for preventing obesity in children. Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2011; (12): CD001871. , , et al.
- The role of added sugars in pediatric obesity. Pediatr. Clin. North Am. 2011; 58: 1455–1466. , .
- World Health Organization. Milestones in Health Promotion: Statements from Global Conferences. Geneva: WHO Press, 2009.