Include, differentiate and manage: gay male youth, stigma and healthcare utilization
Article first published online: 12 DEC 2012
© 2012 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 20–29, March 2014
How to Cite
O’Byrne, P. and Watts, J. (2014), Include, differentiate and manage: gay male youth, stigma and healthcare utilization. Nursing Inquiry, 21: 20–29. doi: 10.1111/nin.12014
- Issue published online: 16 FEB 2014
- Article first published online: 12 DEC 2012
- Accepted for publication 29 September 2012
- Government of Ontario’s Ministry of Research and Innovation
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship program
- Centers for Disease Control [CDC]. 2011. HIV and AIDS among gay and bisexual men. http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/docs/fastfacts-msm-final508comp.pdf (accessed 14 February 2012).
- 2002. Attitudes about sexual disclosure and perceptions of stigma and shame. Sexually Transmitted Infections78: 334–8. , , , and .
- 2009. Relationships between perceived STD-related stigma, STD related shame and STD screening among a household sample of adolescents. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health41: 225–30. , , and .
- 2004. The effects of stigma on genital herpes care seeking behaviours. Herpes11: 8–11. .
- 1977. Discipline and punish: The birth of the prison. New York: Vintage. .
- 1984. The politics of health in the eighteenth century. In The Foucault reader, ed. P Rabinow, 273–89. New York: Pantheon Books. .
- 2010. Antiretoviral treatment of primary HIV infection to reduce onward transmission. Current Opinion in HIV and AIDS5: 283–90. , , and .
- 2006. Praising empire: Neoliberalism under Pax Americana. In The new imperialists: Ideologies of empire, ed. C Mooers, 167–98. Oxford: Oneworld Publications. .
- 2000. Empire. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. and .
- 2003. Stigma, social risk, and health policy: Public attitudes toward HIV surveillance policies and the social construction of illness. Health Psychology22: 533–40. , and .
- 2007. Interventions in sexual health care-seeking and provision at multiple levels of the U.S. health care system. In Behavioural interventions for prevention and control of sexually transmitted diseases, eds SO Aral, JA Lipshutz and JM Douglas, 190–213. New York: Springer Science. and .
- 2007. The effect of perceived stigma from a health care provider on access to care among a low-income HIV-positive population. AIDS Patient Care and STDs21: 584–92. , , , and .
- 2003. Stigma as a barrier to treatment of sexually transmitted infection in the American Deep South: Issues of race, gender, and poverty. Social Science & Medicine5: 2435–45. .
- 2011. HIV testing among men who have sex with men (MSM): Systematic review of qualitative evidence. Health Education Research26: 834–46. , , , , , and .
- 1995. The imperative of health: Public health and the regulated body. Thousand Oaks: Sage. .
- 2007. Knowledge, perceived stigma, and care-seeking experiences for sexually transmitted infections: a qualitative study from the perspective of public clinic attendees in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Online publication]. BioMed Central Public Health, 7: 18. , , , , and .
- 2006. Estimating sexual transmission of HIV from persons aware and unaware that they are infected with the virus in the USA. AIDS20: 1447–50. , and .
- 2005. Meta-analysis of high-risk sexual behaviour in persons aware and unaware they are infected with HIV in the United States. Epidemiology and Social Science39: 446–53. , , and .
- Ottawa Public Health [OPH]. 2011. June 2011 monthly communicable disease report. http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/obh/2011/08-15/Supporting%20Document%20to%20Report%201%20ENG.pdf (accessed 29 February 2012).
- Public Health Agency of Canada [PHAC]. 2010a. National HIV prevalence and incidence estimates in Canada for 2008. http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/aids-sida/publication/epi/2010/1-eng.php (accessed 29 February 2012).
- Public Health Agency of Canada [PHAC]. (2010b). HIV/AIDS among youth in Canada. http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/aids-sida/publication/epi/2010/4-eng.php (accessed 28 February 2012).
- 2003. Interpreting qualitative data: Methods for analyzing talk, text, and interaction. In The landscape of qualitative research, eds NK Denzin and YS Lincoln, 220–39. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. .
- 2003. Globalization and its discontents. New York: W.W. Norton & Co. .
- 1990. Basics of qualitative research: Grounded theory procedures and techniques. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications. and .