These authors contributed equally to this work.
Mutations in the SLAC1 anion channel slow stomatal opening and severely reduce K+ uptake channel activity via enhanced cytosolic [Ca2+] and increased Ca2+ sensitivity of K+ uptake channels
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 1, pages 88–98, January 2013
How to Cite
Laanemets, K., Wang, Y.-F., Lindgren, O., Wu, J., Nishimura, N., Lee, S., Caddell, D., Merilo, E., Brosche, M., Kilk, K., Soomets, U., Kangasjärvi, J., Schroeder, J. I. and Kollist, H. (2013), Mutations in the SLAC1 anion channel slow stomatal opening and severely reduce K+ uptake channel activity via enhanced cytosolic [Ca2+] and increased Ca2+ sensitivity of K+ uptake channels. New Phytologist, 197: 88–98. doi: 10.1111/nph.12008
- Issue published online: 26 NOV 2012
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUL 2012
- the Estonian Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: 7763, 7361, 9208, SF0180071s07
- the European Regional Fund
- NIH. Grant Number: R01GM060396
- ) and NSF. Grant Number: MCB0918220
- US Department of Energy. Grant Number: DE-FG02-03ER15449
- the National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 31170227
- National Basic Research Program of China. Grant Numbers: 2012CB114300, 973
- Academy of Finland Centre of Excellence program
- 2000. GORK, a delayed outward rectifier expressed in guard cells of Arabidopsis thaliana, is a K+-selective, K+-sensing ion channel. FEBS Letters 8: 93–98. , , , , , .
- 2001. A defined range of guard cell calcium oscillation parameters encodes stomatal movements. Nature 411: 1053–1057. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Hypersensitivity of abscisic acid-induced cytosolic calcium increases in the Arabidopsis farnesyltransferase mutant era1-2. Plant Cell 14: 1649–1662. , , , , .
- 1985. Blue light activates electrogenic ion pumping in guard cell protoplasts of Vicia faba L. Nature 318: 285–287. , , .
- 2011. Anion channels/transporters in plants: from molecular bases to regulatory networks. Annual Review of Plant Biology 62: 25–51. , , , , , , .
- 1993. K+ channels of stomatal guard cells: abscisic-acid-evoked control of the outward rectifier mediated by cytoplasmic pH. Planta 191: 330–341. , .
- 2012. Reconstitution of abscisic acid activation of SLAC1 anion channel by CPK6 and OST1 kinases and branched ABI1 PP2C phosphatase action. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 109: 10593–10598. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Characterization of Schizosaccharomyces pombe malate permease by expression in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 67: 4144–4151. , , , , .
- 1995. Multiple genes, tissue specificity and expression-dependent modulation contribute to the functional diversity of potassium channels in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology 109: 1093–1106. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Dynamic regulation of guard cell anion channels by cytosolic free Ca2+ concentration and protein phosphorylation. Plant Journal 61: 816–825. , , , .
- 2005. Genome-wide identification and testing of superior reference genes for transcript normalization in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 139: 5–17. , , , , .
- 2011. Stomatal closure by fast abscisic acid signaling is mediated by the guard cell anion channel SLAH3 and the receptor RCAR1. Science Signaling 4: ra32. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Guard cell anion channel SLAC1 is regulated by CDPK protein kinases with distinct Ca2+ affinities. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 8023–8028. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Activity of guard cell anion channel SLAC1 is controlled by drought-stress signaling kinase-phosphatase pair. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 21425–21430. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Membrane voltage initiates Ca2+ waves and potentiates Ca2+ increases with abscisic acid in stomatal guard cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 4778–4783. , .
- 1999. A steep dependence of inward-rectifying potassium channels on cytosolic free calcium concentration increase evoked by hyperpolarization in guard cells. Plant Physiology 119: 277–288. , .
- 1981. Improved patch-clamp techniques for high-resolution current recording from cells and cell-free membrane patches. Pflugers Archiv-European Journal of Physiology 391: 85–100. , , , , .
- 2000. Ca2+ channels at the plasma membrane of stomatal guard cells are activated by hyperpolarization and abscisic acid. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 4967–4972. , , , .
- 1990. Ca2+ and nucleotide dependent regulation of voltage dependent anion channels in the plasma membrane of guard cells. EMBO Journal 9: 3889–3892. , , .
- 2012. Abscisic acid and CO2 signalling via calcium sensitivity priming in guard cells, new CDPK mutant phenotypes and a method for improved resolution of stomatal stimulus–response analyses. Annals of Botany 109: 5–17. , , , , .
- 1928. Zur Methodik der Transpirationsbestimmung am Standort. Berichte der Deutschen Botanischen Gesellschaft 46: 306–310. .
- 1989. Voltage-dependent anion channels in the plasma membrane of guard cells. Nature 341: 450–453. , , .
- 1995. Effects of cytosolic calcium and limited, possible dual, effects of G protein modulators on guard cell inward potassium channels. Plant Journal 8: 479–489. , , .
- 2010. Guard cell signal transduction network: advances in understanding abscisic acid, CO2, and Ca2+ sgnaling. Annual Review of Plant Biology 61: 561–591. , , , , .
- 2011. Anion channels in plant cells. FEBS Journal 278: 4277–4292. , , , .
- 2007. A novel device detects a rapid ozone-induced transient stomatal closure in intact Arabidopsis and its absence in abi2 mutant. Physiologia Plantarum 129: 796–803. , , , , , , , , .
- 1984. The isolation and characterization of abscisic acid-insensitive mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana. Physiologia Plantarum 61: 377–383. , , .
- 2001. Dominant negative guard cell K+ channel mutants reduce inward-rectifying K+ currents and light-induced stomatal opening in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 127: 473–485. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Plant adaptation to fluctuating environment and biomass production are strongly dependent on guard cell potassium channels. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 5271–5276. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The ABC transporter AtABCB14 is a malate importer and modulates stomatal response to CO2. Nature Cell Biology 10: 1217–1223. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. A protein kinase-phosphatase pair interacts with an ion channel to regulate ABA signaling in plant guard cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 21419–21424. , , , .
- 2004. Microarray expression analyses of Arabidopsis guard cells and isolation of a recessive abscisic acid hypersensitive protein phosphatase 2C mutant. Plant Cell 16: 596–615. , , , , , .
- 1992. A slow anion channel in guard cells, activating at large hyperpolarization, may be principal for stomatal closing. FEBS Letters 313: 27–30. , .
- 2009. Regulators of PP2C phosphatase activity function as abscisic acid sensors. Science 324: 1064–1068. , , , , , , .
- 2000. ABA activates multiple Ca2+ fluxes in stomatal guard cells, triggering vacuolar K+ (Rb+) release. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 12361–12368. .
- 2007a. Blue light inhibits guard cell plasma membrane anion channels in a phototropin-dependent manner. Plant Journal 50: 29–39. , , .
- 2007b. Ca2+-dependent and -independent abscisic acid activation of plasma membrane anion channels in guard cells of Nicotiana tabacum. Plant Physiology 143: 28–37. , , , , .
- 1990. Abscisic acid-induced elevation of guard cell cytosolic Ca2+ precedes stomatal closure. Nature 343: 186–188. , , .
- 2010. AtALMT12 represents an R-type anion channel required for stomatal movement in Arabidopsis guard cells. Plant Journal 63: 1054–1062. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. CDPKs CPK6 and CPK3 function in ABA regulation of guard cell S-type anion- and Ca2+-permeable channels and stomatal closure. PLoS Biology 4: e327. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Expression of an Arabidopsis potassium channel gene in guard cells. Plant Physiology 109: 371–374. , , , , , .
- 2008. CO2 regulator SLAC1 and its homologues are essential for anion homeostasis in plant cells. Nature 452: 483–486. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. PYR/PYL/RCAR family members are major in-vivo ABI1 protein phosphatase 2C-interacting proteins in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 61: 290–299. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Complex phenotypic profiles leading to ozone sensitivity in Arabidopsis thaliana mutants. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 1237–1249. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Ozone-sensitive Arabidopsis rcd1 mutant reveals opposite roles for ethylene and jasmonate signaling pathways in regulating superoxide-dependent cell death. Plant Cell 12: 1849–1862. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Abscisic acid inhibits type 2C protein phosphatases via the PYR/PYL family of START proteins. Science 324: 1068–1071. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Differential abscisic acid regulation of guard cell slow anion channels in Arabidopsis wild-type and abi1 and abi2 mutants. Plant Cell 9: 409–423. , , , , .
- 2000. Calcium channel activated by hydrogen peroxide mediate abscisic acid signalling in guard cells. Nature 406: 731–734. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The vacuolar Ca2+-activated channel TPC1 regulates germination and stomatal movement. Nature 434: 404–408. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Guard cell inward K+ channel activity in Arabidopsis involves expression of the twin channel subunits KAT1 and KAT2. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276: 3215–3221. , , , , , , .
- 1988. Rates of diffusional exchange between small cells and a measuring pipette. Pflugers Archiv-European Journal of Physiology 411: 204–211. , .
- 1988. Exploring biophysical and biochemical components of the osmotic motor that drives stomatal movement. Botanica Acta 101: 283–294. , , , .
- 2003. The slow and the quick anion conductance in whole guard cells: their voltage-dependent alternation, and the modulation of their activities by abscisic acid and CO2. Planta 217: 639–650. , , .
- 2002. AtKC1, a silent Arabidopsis potassium channel α-subunit modulates root hair K+ influx. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 4079–4084. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. In the light of stomatal opening: new insights into ‘the Watergate’. New Phytologist 167: 665–691. , .
- 2001. Single guard cell recordings in intact plants: light-induced hyperpolarization of the plasma membrane. Plant Journal 26: 1–13. , , , .
- 2010. Closing plant stomata requires a homolog of an aluminum-activated malate transporter. Plant Cell Physiology 51: 354–365. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Threonine at position 306 of the KAT1 potassium channel is essential for channel activity and is a target site for ABA-activated SnRK2/OST1/SnRK2.6 protein kinase. Biochemical Journal 424: 439–448. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Cytosolic calcium regulates ion channels in the plasma membrane of Vicia faba guard cells. Nature 338: 427–430. , .
- 1984. Potassium-selective single channels in guard cell protoplasts of Vicia faba. Nature 312: 361–362. , , .
- 1992. Two types of anion channel currents in guard cells with distinct voltage regulation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 89: 5025–5029. , .
- 1987. Voltage dependence of K+ channels in guard-cell protoplasts. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 84: 4108–4112. , , .
- 1993. Identification of high-affinity slow anion channel blockers and evidence for stomatal regulation by slow anion channels in guard cells. Plant Cell 5: 1831–1841. , .
- 1995. Anion channel blockers inhibit S-type anion channels and abscisic acid responses in guard cells. Plant Physiology 109: 651–658. , , , , , .
- 2007. Light regulation of stomatal movement. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 219–247. , , , .
- 1986. Blue light-dependent proton extrusion by guard-cell protoplasts of Vicia faba. Nature 319: 324–326. , , .
- 2009. Calcium elevation-dependent and attenuated resting calcium-dependent abscisic acid induction of stomatal closure and abscisic acid-induced enhancement of calcium sensitivities of S-type anion and inward-rectifying K+ channels in Arabidopsis guard cells. Plant Journal 59: 207–220. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Abscisic acid induces oscillations in guard-cell cytosolic free calcium that involve phosphoinositide-specific phospholipase C. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 1779–1784. , , , , , .
- 2001. KAT1 is not essential for stomatal opening. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 2917–2921. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Membrane transport in stomatal guard cells: the importance of voltage control. Journal of Membrane Biology 126: 1–18. , , .
- 2005. Biochemical characterization of plasma membrane H+-ATPase activation in guard cell protoplasts of Arabidopsis thaliana in response to blue light. Plant Cell Physiology 46: 955–961. , , , , .
- 1995. Identification of strong modifications in cation selectivity in an Arabidopsis inward rectifying potassium channel by mutant selection in yeast. Journal of Biological Chemistry 270: 24276–24281. , , , .
- 2008. SLAC1 is required for plant guard cell S-type anion channel function in stomatal signalling. Nature 452: 487–491. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Ozone-triggered rapid stomatal response involves the production of reactive oxygen species, and is controlled by SLAC1 and OST1. Plant Journal 62: 442–453. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Molecular mechanisms and regulation of K+ transport in higher plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 54: 575–603. , .
- 2011. Anion channel sensitivity to cytosolic organic acids implicates a central role for oxaloacetate in integrating ion flux with metabolism in stomatal guard cells. Biochemical Journal 439: 161–170. , .
- 1996. Carbon dioxide induces increases in guard cell cytosolic free calcium. Plant Journal 9: 297–304. , , , .
- 2011. Central functions of bicarbonate in S-type anion channel activation and OST1 protein kinase in CO2 signal transduction in guard cell. EMBO Journal 30: 1645–1658. , , , , , .
- 2008. Isolation of a strong Arabidopsis guard cell promoter and its potential as a research tool. Plant Methods 4: 6. , , , , .
- 2006. CO2 signaling in guard cells: calcium sensitivity response modulation, a Ca2+ -independent phase, and CO2 insensitivity of the gca2 mutant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 7506–7511. , , , , , .