Epigenetic variation creates potential for evolution of plant phenotypic plasticity
Version of Record online: 1 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 1, pages 314–322, January 2013
How to Cite
Zhang, Y.-Y., Fischer, M., Colot, V. and Bossdorf, O. (2013), Epigenetic variation creates potential for evolution of plant phenotypic plasticity. New Phytologist, 197: 314–322. doi: 10.1111/nph.12010
- Issue online: 26 NOV 2012
- Version of Record online: 1 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 31 JUL 2012
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Number: 31EE30-131171
- 2002. Ecological genetics of an induced plant defense against herbivores: additive genetic variance and costs of phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 56: 2206–2213. , , , .
- 2007. The complex language of chromatin regulation during transcription. Nature 447: 407–412. .
- 2007. Perceptions of epigenetics. Nature 447: 396–398. .
- 2010. Experimental alteration of DNA methylation affects the phenotypic plasticity of ecologically relevant traits in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolutionary Ecology 24: 541–553. , , , .
- 2009. Plasticity to wind is modular and genetically variable in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolutionary Ecology 23: 669–685. , .
- 2005. Indirect consequences of artificial selection on plasticity to light quality in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 18: 1403–1415. , .
- 2002. Analysis of DNA methylation in Arabidopsis thaliana based on methylation-sensitive AFLP markers. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 268: 543–552. , , .
- 2004. A primer of ecological genetics. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. , .
- 1999. An epigenetic mutation responsible for natural variation in floral symmetry. Nature 401: 157–161. , , .
- 2004. Indices of drought tolerance in wheat genotypes at early stages of plant growth. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 190: 6–12. , , .
- 2000. Plasticity to light cues and resources in Arabidopsis thaliana: testing for adaptive value and costs. Evolution 54: 1982–1994. , , .
- 1986. Natural selection in the wild. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics, 4th edn. New York, NY, USA: Longman. , .
- 1930. The genetical theory of natural selection. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 2010. Genome-wide DNA methylation alterations of Alternanthera philoxeroides in natural and manipulated habitats: implications for epigenetic regulation of rapid responses to environmental fluctuation and phenotypic variation. Plant, Cell and Environment 33: 1820–1827. , , , , .
- 2005. Epigenetics and its implications for plant biology. 1. The epigenetic network in plants. Annals of Botany 96: 1143–1164. , .
- 2004. Population differentiation and plastic responses to drought stress in the generalist annual Polygonum persicaria. International Journal of Plant Sciences 165: 817–824. , , , .
- 2004. The plastic plant: root responses to heterogeneous supplies of nutrients. New Phytologist 162: 9–24. .
- 2011. Climate change and evolutionary adaptation. Nature 470: 479–485. , .
- 2008. OPINION Epigenome dynamics: a quantitative genetics perspective. Nature Reviews Genetics 9: 883–890. , , .
- 2009. Assessing the impact of transgenerational epigenetic variation on complex traits. Plos Genetics 5: e1000530. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Epistasis and genotype-environment interaction for quantitative trait loci affecting flowering time in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetica 123: 87–105. , , , .
- 2002. Effects of phenotyping environment on identification of quantitative trait loci for rice root morphology under anaerobic conditions. Crop Science 42: 255–265. , , , , , .
- 2006. Intraspecific DNA methylation polymorphism in cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.). Journal of Heredity 97: 444–450. , , , .
- 2001. Adaptive evolution of plastic foraging responses in a clonal plant. Ecology 82: 3309–3319. , .
- 2003. Effects of four generations of density-dependent selection on life history traits and their plasticity in a clonally propagated plant. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 16: 474–484. , .
- 2005. Constraints on the evolution of adaptive phenotypic plasticity in plants. New Phytologist 166: 49–60. , .
- 2004. Naturally occurring genetic variation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Annual Review of Plant Biology 55: 141–172. , , .
- 2002. Acclimation and adaptive responses of woody plants to environmental stresses. Botanical Review 68: 270–334. , .
- 2009. Genetics of phenotypic plasticity: QTL analysis in barley, Hordeum vulgare. Heredity 102: 163–173. , , .
- 1998. Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. , .
- 2006. Drought tolerance in rice: morphological and molecular genetic consideration. Plant Growth Regulation 50: 121–138. , , , , .
- 2006. A naturally occurring epigenetic mutation in a gene encoding an SBP-box transcription factor inhibits tomato fruit ripening. Nature Genetics 38: 948–952. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Costs of resistance to natural enemies in field populations of the annual plant Arabidopsis thaliana. American Naturalist 151: 20–28. .
- 2003. Genetics of drought adaptation in Arabidopsis thaliana: I. Pleiotropy contributes to genetic correlations among ecological traits. Molecular Ecology 12: 1137–1151. , , .
- 2001. Mobilization of transposons by a mutation abolishing full DNA methylation in Arabidopsis. Nature 411: 212–214. , , , , , .
- 1999. Epigenetic inheritance at the agouti locus in the mouse. Nature Genetics 23: 314–318. , , , .
- 2002. Ecology and evolutionary biology of Arabidopsis. The Arabidopsis Book 1: e0003. .
- 2005. Evolution of phenotypic plasticity: where are we going now? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 20: 481–486. .
- 2002. Phenotypic plasticity to light intensity in Arabidopsis thaliana: invariance of reaction norms and phenotypic integration. Evolutionary Ecology 16: 27–47. , .
- 2011. Clone history shapes Populus drought responses. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 12521–12526. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Transgenerational inheritance of epigenetic states at the murine Axin(Fu) allele occurs after maternal and paternal transmission. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 2538–2543. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Epigenetics and plant evolution. New Phytologist 168: 81–91. , .
- 1997. Experimental evolution in Chlamydomonas.3. Evolution of specialist and generalist types in environments that vary in space and time. Heredity 78: 507–514. , .
- 2009. Compromised stability of DNA methylation and transposon immobilization in mosaic Arabidopsis epigenomes. Genes & Development 23: 939–950. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Drought-adaptive traits derived from wheat wild relatives and landraces. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 177–186. , , .
- 2010. What role does heritable epigenetic variation play in phenotypic evolution? BioScience 60: 232–237. , , .
- 2006. Opinion – inherited epigenetic variation – revisiting soft inheritance. Nature Reviews Genetics 7: 395–401. .
- 2009. Quantitative epigenetics: DNA sequence variation need not apply. Genes & Development 23: 1601–1605. .
- 2011. Natural epigenetic variation in plant species: a view from the field. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 14: 204–209. .
- 2011. Genome-wide epigenetic perturbation jump-starts patterns of heritable variation found in nature. Genetics 188: 1015–1017. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Genetic and epigenetic consequences of recent hybridization and polyploidy in Spartina (Poaceae). Molecular Ecology 14: 1163–1175. , , .
- 2008. Brassica oleracea displays a high level of DNA methylation polymorphism. Plant Science 174: 61–70. , , , , .
- 1993. Genetics and evolution of phenotypic plasticity. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 24: 35–68. .
- 1998. The genetics of phenotypic plasticity. VIII. The cost of plasticity in Daphnia pulex. Evolution 52: 368–378. , .
- 1999. Measuring natural selection on phenotypic plasticity. Evolution 53: 1704–1713. , .
- 2000. Using path analysis to measure natural selection. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 13: 423–433. , , .
- 2001. Robertson's Mutator transposons in A. thaliana are regulated by the chromatin-remodeling gene Decrease in DNA Methylation (DDM1). Genes & Development 15: 591–602. , , .
- 2008. Estimating nonlinear selection gradients using quadratic regression coefficients: double or nothing? Evolution 62: 2435–2440. , , , , .
- 2004. Flowering time plasticity in Arabidopsis thaliana: a reanalysis of Westerman & Lawrence (1970). Journal of Evolutionary Biology 17: 197–207. , , .
- 1999. The ecology and evolution of plant tolerance to herbivory. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 14: 179–185. , .
- 2002. Quantitative trait loci for inflorescence development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 160: 1133–1151. , , , , .
- 2003. Genotype-environment interactions at quantitative trait loci affecting inflorescence development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 165: 353–365. , , , .
- 2007. Epigenetic natural variation in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Biology 5: 1617–1629. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Stress-induced DNA methylation changes and their heritability in asexual dandelions. New Phytologist 185: 1108–1118. , , , .
- 2008. Keeping up with a warming world: assessing the rate of adaptation to climate change. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 275: 649–659. .
- 2003. Evolutionary genetics of resistance and tolerance to natural herbivory in Arabidopsis thaliana. Evolution 57: 1270–1280. , , .
- 1970. Genotype-environment interaction and developmental regulation in Arabidopsis thaliana. L. Inbred lines – description. Heredity 25: 609–627. , .