Genetic control of interactions among individuals: contrasting outcomes of indirect genetic effects arising from neighbour disease infection and competition in a forest tree
Article first published online: 17 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 2, pages 631–641, January 2013
How to Cite
Silva, J. C. e., Potts, B. M., Bijma, P., Kerr, R. J. and Pilbeam, D. J. (2013), Genetic control of interactions among individuals: contrasting outcomes of indirect genetic effects arising from neighbour disease infection and competition in a forest tree. New Phytologist, 197: 631–641. doi: 10.1111/nph.12035
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 17 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 AUG 2012
- João Costa e Silva by Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia
- University of Tasmania
- Dutch Science Council
- Australian Research Council Linkage. Grant Number: LP0884001
- Southern Tree Breeding Association Inc
- 2001. On indirect genetic effects in structured populations. American Naturalist 158: 308–323. , , .
- 1974. A new look at the statistical model identification. IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control 19: 716–723. .
- 2005. Genetic variation in response to an indirect ecological effect. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 272: 2577–2581. , , .
- 2009. A geographic mosaic of genetic variation within a foundation tree species and its community-level consequences. Ecology 90: 1762–1772. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The contribution of social effects to heritable variation in finishing traits of domestic pigs (Sus scrofa). Genetics 178: 1559–1570. , , , .
- 2011. Kin recognition, not competitive interactions, predicts root allocation in young Cakile edentula seedling pairs. New Phytologist 189: 1135–1142. , , .
- 2010. Root exudates mediate kin recognition in plants. Communicative and Integrative Biology 3: 1–8. , , , .
- 2010a. Fisher's fundamental theorem of inclusive fitness and the change in fitness due to natural selection when conspecifics interact. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23: 194–206. .
- 2010b. Estimating indirect genetic effects: precision of estimates and optimum designs. Genetics 186: 1013–1028. .
- 2011. A general definition of the heritable variation that determines the potential of a population to respond to selection. Genetics 189: 1347–1359. .
- 2007b. Multilevel selection 2: estimating the genetic parameters determining inheritance and response to selection. Genetics 175: 289–299. , , , , .
- 2007a. Multilevel selection 1: quantitative genetics of inheritance and response to selection. Genetics 175: 277–288. , , .
- 2008. The joint effects of kin, multilevel selection and indirect genetic effects on response to genetic selection. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 21: 1175–1188. , .
- 2002. Age-related decline in forest ecosystem growth: an individual-tree, stand-structure hypothesis. Ecosystems 5: 58–67. , , , , .
- 2002. Differential genetic variation in adaptive strategies to a common environmental signal in Arabidopsis accessions: phytochrome-mediated shade avoidance. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 53–63. , .
- 2008. Competition among Eucalyptus trees depends on genetic variation and resource supply. Ecology 89: 2850–2859. , , .
- 1997. Competition and facilitation: a synthetic approach to interactions in plant communities. Ecology 78: 1958–1965. , .
- 2008. Direct and competition additive effects in tree breeding: Bayesian estimation from an individual tree mixed model. Silvae Genetica 57: 45–56. , .
- 2002. The proportion of leaf spots caused by Mycosphaerella cryptica and M. nubilosa on Eucalyptus globulus, E. nitens and their F1 hybrids in a family trial in Tasmania, Australia. Australasian Mycologist 21: 53–63. , .
- 1997. Plant competition underground. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 28: 545–570. , .
- 1996. Genetic analysis of survival in Eucalyptus globulus ssp. globulus. Silvae Genetica 45: 107–112. , , .
- 2011. The effects of age and environment on the expression of inbreeding depression in Eucalyptus globulus. Heredity 107: 50–60. , , , .
- 2012. Accounting for competition in genetic analysis, with particular emphasis on forest genetic trials. Tree Genetics and Genomes. doi: 10.1007/s11295-012-0521-8 , .
- 2012. Epistasis causes outbreeding depression in eucalypt hybrids. Tree Genetics and Genomes 8: 249–265. , , .
- 2007. Mycosphaerella is polyphyletic. Studies in Mycology 58: 1–32. , , .
- 2012. Evolution of host life-history traits in a spatially structured host-parasite system. American Naturalist 179: 52–63. , , , .
- 2003. Darwinian agriculture: when can humans find solutions beyond the reach of natural selection? Quarterly Review of Biology 78: 145–168. , , .
- 2005. Genetic management of infectious diseases: a heterogeneous epidemio-genetic model illustrated with S. aureus mastitis. Genetics Selection Evolution 37: 437–453. .
- 2003. The influence of neighbor relatedness on multilevel selection in the Great Lakes sea rocket. American Naturalist 162: 77–92. .
- 2012. Genetic variation in the susceptibility of Eucalyptus globulus to drought damage. Tree Genetics and Genomes 8: 757–773. , .
- 2003. How does ecosystem water balance affect net primary productivity of woody ecosystems? Functional Plant Biology 30: 187–205. .
- 2010. Genetic parameters for social effects on survival in cannibalistic layers: combining survival analysis and a linear animal model. Genetics Selection Evolution 42: 27. , , , , .
- 2007. Genetic improvement of traits affected by interactions among individuals: sib selection schemes. Genetics 176: 489–499. , , , .
- 1996. Introduction to quantitative genetics. New York, NY, USA: Longman Scientific and Technical. , .
- 2012. Fitness consequences of plants growing with siblings: reconciling kin selection, niche partitioning and competitive ability. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 279: 209–218. , , .
- 2011. The balance between facilitation and competition in mixtures of Eucalyptus and Acacia changes as stands develop. Oecologia 166: 265–272. , , .
- 2007. All of life is social. Current Biology 17: R648–R650. .
- 2008. Few Mendelian genes underlie the quantitative response of a forest tree, Eucalyptus globulus, to a natural fungal epidemic. Genetics 178: 563–571. , , .
- 2009. Contribution of direct and maternal genetic effects to life-history evolution. New Phytologist 183: 826–838. , , .
- 1997. Accounting for natural and extraneous variation in the analysis of field experiments. Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics 2: 269–293. , , .
- 2009. ASReml User Guide. Release 3.0. VSN International Ltd., Hemel Hempstead, UK. , , , .
- 1977 Selection for populations of interacting phenotypes. In: Pollak E, Kempthorne O, Bailey TB, eds. Proceedings of the International Conference on Quantitative Genetics. Ames, IA, USA: Iowa State University Press, 413–434. .
- 1989. Genetic analysis of plant mixtures. Genetics 122: 943–956. .
- 2011. Cryptic evolution: does environmental deterioration have a genetic basis? Genetics 187: 1099–1113. , , .
- 1964. The genetical evolution of social behavior, Parts I and II. Journal of Theoretical Biology 7: 1–52. .
- 1998. The relationship between cross success and spatial proximity of Eucalyptus globulus ssp. globulus parents. Evolution 52: 614–618. , , .
- 2009. Teratosphaeria nubilosa, a serious leaf disease pathogen of Eucalyptus spp. in native and introduced areas. Molecular Plant Pathology 10: 1–14. , , , .
- 1997. CycDesign. A package for the computer generation of experimental designs. Version 1.0. Canberra, Australia: CSIRO. , , .
- 2007. Detection and visualization of spatial genetic structure in continuous Eucalyptus globulus forest. Molecular Ecology 16: 697–707. , , .
- 1992. Acquisition and allocation of resources: genetic (co)variances, selection, and life histories. American Naturalist 139: 749–770. , .
- 2012. Indirect genetic effects and the spread of infectious disease: are we capturing the full heritable variation underlying disease prevalence? PLoS ONE 7: e39551. , , , .
- 2010. The effect of host genetic diversity on disease spread. American Naturalist 175: E149–E152. .
- 1998 Genetics and analysis of quantitative traits. Sunderland, MA, USA: Sinauer Associates. , .
- 2010. Interacting phenotypes and the evolutionary process. III. Social evolution. Evolution 64: 2558–2574. , , , .
- 2012. Disease tolerance as a defense strategy. Science 335: 936–941. , , .
- 2005. Genetic variation in Eucalyptus globulus for susceptibility to Mycosphaerella nubilosa and its association with tree growth. Australasian Plant Pathology 34: 11–18. , , , , .
- 2003. Mycosphaerella leaf diseases of temperate eucalypts around the southern pacific rim. New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science 33: 362–372. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Interacting phenotypes and the evolutionary process. 1. Direct and indirect genetic effects of social interactions. Evolution 51: 1352–1362. , , .
- 1996. Group selection for adaptation to multiple-hen cages: selection program and direct responses. Poultry Science 75: 447–458. .
- 2005. Incorporation of competitive effects in forest tree or animal breeding programs. Genetics 170: 1247–1259. .
- 2007. Indirect genetic effects from ecological interactions in Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular Ecology 16: 2371–2381. , .
- 1988. Epidemiology of Mycosphaerella nubilosa and M. cryptica on Eucalyptus spp. in south-eastern Australia. Transactions of the British Mycological Society 91: 261–266. .
- 2005. Joint modelling of competition and spatial variability in forest field trials. Brazilian Journal of Mathematics and Statistics 23: 7–22. , , , .
- 2000. Evolutionary dynamics of pathogen resistance and tolerance. Evolution 54: 51–63. , .
- 1998. Mechanisms determining the degree of size asymmetry in competition among plants. Oecologia 113: 447–455. , .
- 1998. Fine-scale genetic structure of Eucalyptus globulus ssp. globulus forest revealed by RAPDs. Australian Journal of Botany 46: 583–594. , , .
- 2010. Age trends in genetic parameters for growth and wood density in Eucalyptus globulus. Tree Genetics and Genomes 6: 179–193. , , , .
- 1994. Variance components testing in the longitudinal mixed effects model. Biometrics 50: 1171–1177. , .
- 2006. Joint modelling of spatial variability and interplot competition to improve the efficiency of plant improvement. PhD thesis, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia. .
- 2011. Joint modeling of spatial variability and within-row interplot competition to increase the efficiency of plant improvement. Journal of Agricultural, Biological and Environmental Statistics 16: 269–281. , , .
- 1999. The analysis of designed experiments and longitudinal data using smoothing splines. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C (Applied Statistics) 48: 269–300. , , , .
- 2006. A framework for community and ecosystem genetics: from genes to ecosystems. Nature Reviews Genetics 7: 510–523. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Indirect genetic effects and the evolution of aggression in a vertebrate system. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 276: 533–541. , , , .
- 2011. Indirect genetics effects and evolutionary constraint: an analysis of social dominance in red deer, Cervus elaphus. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 24: 772–783. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Mycorrhizal-mediated phosphorus transfer between tallgrass prairie plants Sorghastrum nutans and Artemisia ludoviciana. Functional Ecology 20: 427–435. , , .
- 1998. Evolutionary consequences of indirect genetic effects. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13: 64–69. , , , , .
- 2010 Interacting phenotypes and indirect genetic effects: a genetic perspective on the evolution of social behaviour. In: Westneat DF, Fox CW, eds. Evolutionary behavioral ecology. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press. , .
- 2011. Functional genetics of intraspecific ecological interactions in Arabidopsis thaliana. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 366: 1358–1367. , , .
- 1981. Sib competition can favor sex in two ways. Journal of Theoretical Biology 88: 755–756. .