An Arabidopsis reticulon and the atlastin homologue RHD3-like2 act together in shaping the tubular endoplasmic reticulum
Article first published online: 16 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 2, pages 481–489, January 2013
How to Cite
Lee, H., Sparkes, I., Gattolin, S., Dzimitrowicz, N., Roberts, L. M., Hawes, C. and Frigerio, L. (2013), An Arabidopsis reticulon and the atlastin homologue RHD3-like2 act together in shaping the tubular endoplasmic reticulum. New Phytologist, 197: 481–489. doi: 10.1111/nph.12038
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2012
- Article first published online: 16 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 29 AUG 2012
- Oxford Brookes Nigel Groome
- 2009. A comparative study of the involvement of 17 Arabidopsis myosin family members on the motility of Golgi and other organelles. Plant Physiology 150: 700–709. , , , , , .
- 2011. Structures of the atlastin GTPase provide insight into homotypic fusion of endoplasmic reticulum membranes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 3976–3981. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Stacks on tracks: the plant Golgi apparatus traffics on an actin/ER network. Plant Journal 15: 441–447. , , , , , .
- 2002. The destination for single-pass membrane proteins is influenced markedly by the length of the hydrophobic domain. Plant Cell 14: 1077–1092. , , , , , .
- 2008. The syntaxins SYP31 and SYP81 control ER-Golgi trafficking in the plant secretory pathway. Traffic 9: 1629–1652. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. AtHVA22 gene family in Arabidopsis: phylogenetic relationship, ABA and stress regulation, and tissue-specific expression. Plant Molecular Biology 49: 633–644. , , , , .
- 2011. Arabidopsis RHD3 mediates the generation of the tubular ER network and is required for Golgi distribution and motility in plant cells. Journal of Cell Science 124: 2241–2252. , , , .
- 2004. Endoplasmic reticulum export sites and Golgi bodies behave as single mobile secretory units in plant cells. Plant Cell 16: 1753–1771. , , , , , .
- 1990. Protein secretion in plant cells can occur via a default pathway. Plant Cell 2: 51–59. , , .
- 2001. Ricin A chain without its partner B chain is degraded after retrotranslocation from the endoplasmic reticulum to the cytosol in plant cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 14726–14731. , , , , .
- 2000. pGreen: a versatile and flexible binary Ti vector for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Plant Molecular Biology 42: 819–832. , , , , .
- 2008. Membrane proteins of the endoplasmic reticulum induce high-curvature tubules. Science 319: 1247–1250. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. A class of dynamin-like GTPases involved in the generation of the tubular ER network. Cell 138: 549–561. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The Arabidopsis RHD3 gene is required for cell wall biosynthesis and actin organization. Planta 217: 912–921. , , , .
- 2003. The first 238 amino acids of the human lamin B receptor are targeted to the nuclear envelope in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 943–950. , , .
- 2005. Modular cloning in plant cells. Trends in Plant Science 10: 103–105. , , .
- 1996. Der1, a novel protein specifically required for endoplasmic reticulum degradation in yeast. EMBO Journal 15: 753–763. , , , , .
- 1985. Rapid and efficient site-specific mutagenesis without phenotypic selection. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 82: 488–492. .
- 2012. ER import sites and their relationship to ER exit sites: a new model for bidirectional ER-Golgi transport in higher plants. Frontiers in Plant Science 3: 143. , , , , , .
- 2004. A membrane protein required for dislocation of misfolded proteins from the ER. Nature 429: 834–840. , .
- 2011. Membrane fusion by the GTPase atlastin requires a conserved C-terminal cytoplasmic tail and dimerization through the middle domain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 11133–11138. , , , , .
- 2007. Reticulon-like proteins in Arabidopsis thaliana: structural organization and ER localization. FEBS Letters 581: 3356–3362. , , , , , .
- 2006. Derlin-2 and Derlin-3 are regulated by the mammalian unfolded protein response and are required for ER-associated degradation. Journal of Cell Biology 172: 383–393. , , , , , .
- 2003. A reticular rhapsody: phylogenic evolution and nomenclature of the RTN/Nogo gene family. FASEB Journal 17: 1238–1247. , , , .
- 2009. Homotypic fusion of ER membranes requires the dynamin-like GTPase Atlastin. Nature 460: 978–983. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. GTP-dependent packing of a three-helix bundle is required for atlastin-mediated fusion. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 16283–16288. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Photoactivation of GFP reveals protein dynamics within the endoplasmic reticulum membrane. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 43–50. , , , .
- 2009. The plant endoplasmic reticulum: a cell-wide web. Biochemical Journal 423: 145–155. , , , .
- 2011. FrontiERs: movers and shapers of the higher plant cortical ER. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 14: 658–665. , , .
- 2006. Rapid, transient expression of fluorescent fusion proteins in tobacco plants and generation of stably transformed plants. Nature Protocols 1: 2019–2025. , , , .
- 2008. Truncated myosin XI tail fusions inhibit peroxisome, Golgi, and mitochondrial movement in tobacco leaf epidermal cells: a genetic tool for the next generation. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 2499–2512. , , .
- 2010. Five plant reticulon isoforms share ER location, topology and membrane shaping properties. Plant Cell 22: 1333–1343. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. In Arabidopsis the spatial and dynamic organization of the endoplasmic reticulum and Golgi apparatus is influenced by the integrity of the C-Terminal domain of RHD3, a non-essential GTPase. Plant Journal 69: 957–966. , , , , .
- 2010. Transmembrane domain length is responsible for the ability of a plant reticulon to shape endoplasmic reticulum tubules in vivo. Plant Journal 64: 411–418. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Overexpression of a plant reticulon remodels the lumen of the cortical endoplasmic reticulum but does not perturb protein transport. Traffic 9: 94–102. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. A class of membrane proteins shaping the tubular endoplasmic reticulum. Cell 124: 573–586. , , , , .
- 1997. The ROOT HAIR DEFECTIVE3 gene encodes an evolutionarily conserved protein with GTP-binding motifs and is required for regulated cell enlargement in Arabidopsis. Genes & Development 11: 799–811. , , , .
- 2004. A GFP-based assay reveals a role for RHD3 in transport between the endoplasmic reticulum and Golgi apparatus. Plant Journal 37: 398–414. , , , .