An algorithm to derive the fraction of photosynthetically active radiation absorbed by photosynthetic elements of the canopy (FAPARps) from eddy covariance flux tower data
Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 2, pages 511–523, January 2013
How to Cite
Ogutu, B. O. and Dash, J. (2013), An algorithm to derive the fraction of photosynthetically active radiation absorbed by photosynthetic elements of the canopy (FAPARps) from eddy covariance flux tower data. New Phytologist, 197: 511–523. doi: 10.1111/nph.12039
- Issue online: 18 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 22 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 31 AUG 2012
- University of Southampton's Geography and Environment Academic Unit
- Overseas Research Students Awards Scheme (ORSAS)
- 1992. A generalized, lumped-parameter model of photosynthesis, evapotranspiration and net primary production in temperate and boreal forest ecosystems. Oecologia' 92: 463–474. , .
- 1998. Scale dependence of absorption of photosynthetically active radiation in terrestrial ecosystems. Ecological Applications 8: 1003–1021. , , .
- 2000. Response of root respiration to changes in temperature and its relevance to global warming. New Phytologist 147: 141–154. , , .
- 1998. Relationship between the inhibition of leaf respiration by light and enhancement of leaf dark respiration following light treatment. Functional Plant Biology 25: 437–443. , , .
- 2003. Thermal acclimation and the dynamic response of plant respiration to temperature. Trends in Plant Science 8: 343–351. , .
- 2003. Assessing the eddy covariance technique for evaluating carbon dioxide exchange rates of ecosystems: past, present and future. Global Change Biology 9: 479–492. .
- 2001. FLUXNET: a new tool to study the temporal and spatial variability of ecosystem–scale carbon dioxide, water vapour, and energy flux densities. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 82: 2415–2434. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. LAI, ƒAPAR and ƒCover CYCLOPES global products derived from vegetation: part 1: principles of the algorithm. Remote Sensing of Environment 110: 275–286. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Extracting ecological and biophysical information from AVHRR optical data: an integrated algorithm based on inverse modeling. Journal of Geophysical Research 101: 23335–23348. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Physiological and environmental regulation of stomatal conductance, photosynthesis and transpiration: a model that includes a laminar boundary layer. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 54: 107–136. , , , .
- 1992. Coupled photosynthesis-stomatal conductance model for leaves of C4 plants. Functional Plant Biology 19: 519–538. , , .
- 2002. Sensitivity of photosynthesis in a C4 plant, maize, to heat stress. Plant Physiology 129: 1773–1780. , .
- 2004. The MERIS terrestrial chlorophyll index. International Journal of Remote Sensing 25: 5403–5413. , .
- 2007. Evaluation of the MERIS terrestrial chlorophyll index (MTCI). Advances in Space Research 39: 100–104. , .
- 2006. On the variability of respiration in terrestrial ecosystems: moving beyond Q10. Global Change Biology 12: 154–164. , , .
- 2006. Algorithm for global leaf area index retrieval using satellite imagery. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 44: 2219–2229. , , , , .
- 2011. Leaf respiratory acclimation to climate: comparisons among boreal and temperate tree species along a latitudinal transect. Tree Physiology 31: 1114–1127. , .
- 1977. Quantum yields for CO2 uptake in C3 and C4 plants: dependence on temperature, CO2, and O2 concentration. Plant Physiology 59: 86–90. , .
- 1997. C4 photosynthesis, atmospheric CO2, and climate. Oecologia 112: 285–299. , , .
- 1982. Modelling of photosynthetic response to environmental conditions. In: Lange OL, Nobel PS, Osmond CB, Ziegler H, eds. Physiological plant ecology II. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 549–587. , .
- 2004. Evaluation of MODIS LAI, fAPAR and the relation between fAPAR and NDVI in a semi-arid environment using in situ measurements. Remote Sensing of Environment 91: 490–507. , , .
- 1986. The photosynthesis-nitrogen relationship in wild plants. In: Givnish TJ, ed. On the economy of plant form and function. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 22–55. , .
- 2006. Evaluation of fraction of absorbed photosynthetically active radiation products for different canopy radiation transfer regimes: methodology and results using Joint Research Center products derived from SeaWiFS against ground-based estimations. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: D13110; 13111–13115. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Sea wide field-of-view sensor – an optimized FAPAR algorithm-theoretical basis document. EUR Report 20148 EN, European Commission – DG Joint Research Centre, Institute for Environment and Sustainability. , , , , .
- 2009. Assessment of the status of the development of the standards for the terrestrial essential climate variables: Leaf Area Index (LAI). Global Terrestrial Observing System Report. Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization. , .
- 1999. Direct and indirect estimation of Leaf Area Index, fAPAR, and Net primary production of terrestrial ecosystems. Remote Sensing of Environment 70: 29–51. , , .
- 1992. Satellite remote sensing of surface energy balance: success, failures, and unresolved issues in FIFE. Journal of Geophysical Research 97: 19061–19089. , , , , .
- 2002. Inversion of net ecosystem CO2 flux measurements for estimation of canopy PAR absorption. Global Change Biology 8: 563–574. , , , , , .
- 1998. Photosynthesis and carbon balance of a Sahelian fallow savanna. Global Change Biology 4: 523–538. , , , .
- 1994. Carbon dioxide exchange between an undisturbed old-growth temperate forest and the atmosphere. Ecology 75: 134–150. , , , , , .
- 2005. Time-series validation of MODIS land biophysical products in a Kalahari woodland, Africa. International Journal of Remote Sensing 26: 4381–4398. , , , , .
- 2002. Overview of the radiometric and biophysical performance of the MODIS vegetation indices. Remote Sensing of Environment 83: 195–213. , , , , , .
- 1990. Prospect: a model of leaf optical properties spectra. Remote Sensing of Environment 34: 75–91. , .
- 1998. Synergistic algorithm for estimating vegetation canopy leaf area index and fraction of absorbed photosynthetically active radiation from MODIS and MISR data. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 257–276. , , , , .
- 2006. Plant physiological ecology. New York, NY, USA: Springer Science. , , .
- 2002. Photosynthetic carbon assimilation and associated metabolism in relation to water deficits in higher plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 275–294. , .
- 1995. A critical appraisal of a combined stomatal-photosynthesis model for C3 plants. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 339–355. .
- 1993. Quantum yields for uptake of carbon dioxide in C3 vascular plants of contrasting habitats and taxonomic groupings. Planta 189: 226–234. , , .
- 1995. Accommodation between transpiring vegetation and the convective boundary layer. Journal of Hydrology 166: 251–263. .
- 2006. Validation of global moderate-resolution LAI products: a framework proposed within the CEOS land product validation subgroup. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 44: 214–231. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Global products of vegetation leaf area and fraction absorbed PAR from year one of MODIS data. Remote Sensing of Environment 83: 214–231. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. Quantum yields for CO2 uptake in some diploid and tetraploid plant species. Plant, Cell & Environment 6: 135–144. , .
- 1995. Global primary production: a remote sensing approach. Journal of Biogeography 22: 815–835. , .
- 2005. On the separation of net ecosystem exchange into assimilation and ecosystem respiration: review and improved algorithm. Global Change Biology 11: 1424–1439. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1973. Monitoring vegetation systems in the great plain with ERTS. Proceedings of the third ERTS Symposium. Washington, DC, USA: US Government Printing Office, NASA. , , , .
- The Participants Of The Potsdam NPP Model Intercomparison. 1999. Comparing global models of terrestrial net primary productivity (NPP): analysis of differences in light absorption and light-use efficiency. Global Change Biology 5(Suppl 1): 56–64. , , ,
- 2004. Influence of leaf-to-air vapour pressure deficit (VPD) on the biochemistry and physiology of photosynthesis in Prosopis juliflora. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 2111–2120. , .
- 1981. Biometry. New York, NY, USA: Freeman. , .
- 2001. Year-round observations of the net ecosystem exchange of carbon dioxide in a native tallgrass prairie. Global Change Biology 7: 279–289. , .
- 1999. Water stress inhibits plant photosynthesis by decreasing coupling factor and ATP. Nature 401: 914–917. , , , .
- 2007. Factors controlling CO2 exchange on timescales from hourly to decadal at Harvard Forest. Journal of Geophysical Research 112: G02020. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Annual carbon dioxide exchange in irrigated and rainfed maize-based agroecosystems. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 131: 77–96. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Dark leaf respiration in light and darkness of an evergreen and a deciduous plant species. Plant Physiology 107: 421–427. , , .
- 2007. LAI and ƒAPAR CYCLOPES global products derived from vegetation. Part 2: validation and comparison with MODIS collection 4 products. Remote Sensing of Environment 110: 317–331. , , , .
- 2009. Can a satellite-derived estimate of the fraction of PAR absorbed by chlorophyll (FAPARchl) improve predictions of light-use efficiency and ecosystem photosynthesis for a boreal aspen forest? Remote Sensing of Environment 113: 880–888. , , , , , .
- 2005. Estimating light absorption by chlorophyll, leaf and canopy in a deciduous broadleaf forest using MODIS data and a radiative transfer model. Remote Sensing of Environment 99: 357–371. , , , , , .