Seasonal dynamics and age of stemwood nonstructural carbohydrates in temperate forest trees
Article first published online: 29 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 3, pages 850–861, February 2013
How to Cite
Richardson, A. D., Carbone, M. S., Keenan, T. F., Czimczik, C. I., Hollinger, D. Y., Murakami, P., Schaberg, P. G. and Xu, X. (2013), Seasonal dynamics and age of stemwood nonstructural carbohydrates in temperate forest trees. New Phytologist, 197: 850–861. doi: 10.1111/nph.12042
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 29 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUN 2012
- Office of Science (BER)
- US Department of Energy. Grant Number: DE-SC0005578
- NSF. Grant Number: EF-0553768
- 1995. Predicting the effects of climate change on water yield and forest production in the northeastern United States. Climate Research 5: 207–222. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Net ecosystem productivity, net primary productivity and ecosystem carbon sequestration in a Pinus radiata plantation subject to soil water deficit. Tree Physiology 18: 785–793. , , , .
- 2002. Contrasting distribution and seasonal dynamics of carbohydrate reserves in stem wood of adult ring-porous sessile oak and diffuse-porous beech trees. Tree Physiology 22: 1201–1210. , .
- 2001. Ecology of sprouting in woody plants: the persistence niche. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16: 45–51. , .
- 2005. Estimating diurnal to annual ecosystem parameters by synthesis of a carbon flux model with eddy covariance net ecosystem exchange observations. Global Change Biology 11: 335–355. , , , .
- 2007. Allocation and residence time of photosynthetic products in a boreal forest using a low-level 14C pulse-chase labeling technique. Global Change Biology 13: 466–477. , , , .
- 2011. Seasonal and episodic moisture controls on plant and microbial contributions to soil respiration. Oecologia 167: 265–278. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Contribution of new photosynthetic assimilates to respiration by perennial grasses and shrubs: residence times and allocation patterns. New Phytologist 176: 124–135. , .
- 2009. Carbohydrate storage in wood and bark of rubber trees submitted to different level of C demand induced by latex tapping. Tree Physiology 29: 1021–1031. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. The ecology and economics of storage in plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 21: 423–447. , , .
- 2006. Partitioning sources of soil-respired CO2 and their seasonal variation using a unique radiocarbon tracer. Global Change Biology 12: 194–204. , , .
- 1990. Methods of dendrochronology: applications in the environmental sciences. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers. , , eds.
- 1993. Simulation of the carbon dynamics of a Florida slash pine plantation. Ecological Modelling 66: 231–249. , .
- 2006. Changing sources of soil respiration with time since fire in a boreal forest. Global Change Biology 12: 957–971. , , , .
- 1990. Carbohydrate reserves, radial growth and mechanisms of resistance of oak trees to phloem-boring insects. Oecologia 83: 458–468. , , .
- 2009. The REFLEX project: comparing different algorithms and implementations for the inversion of a terrestrial ecosystem model against eddy covariance data. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 1597–1615. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Toward an allocation scheme for global terrestrial carbon models. Global Change Biology 5: 755–770. , , , .
- 1992. Vigor and nonstructural carbohydrates in young prune trees. Scientia Horticulturae 51: 197–211. , , .
- 2009. Use of stored carbon reserves in growth of temperate tree roots and leaf buds: analyses using radiocarbon measurements and modeling. Global Change Biology 15: 992–1014. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The age of fine-root carbon in three forests of the eastern United States measured by radiocarbon. Oecologia 129: 420–429. , , , , , .
- 1991. Carbohydrate dynamics in mature Pinus elliotti var elliotti trees. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 21: 1742–1747. , .
- 2004. Photosynthesis, carbohydrate storage and survival of a native and an introduced tree species in relation to light and defoliation. Tree Physiology 24: 1087–1097. , .
- 2009. Whole-ecosystem labile carbon production in a north temperate deciduous forest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 1531–1540. , , , , .
- 2001. Seasonal changes in above- and belowground carbohydrate concentrations of ponderosa pine along a pollution gradient. Tree Physiology 21: 173–181. , , .
- 2003. Non-structural carbon compounds in temperate forest trees. Plant Cell & Environment 26: 1067–1081. , , .
- 2004. Spatial and temporal variability in forest-atmosphere CO2 exchange. Global Change Biology 10: 1689–1706. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. Computer assisted quality control in tree-ring dating and measurement. Tree Ring Bulletin 43: 69–78. .
- 2007. Regional patterns of radiocarbon and fossil fuel-derived CO2 in surface air across North America. Geophysical Research Letters 34: Art. No. L02816. , , , , , .
- 2007. Refining light-use efficiency calculations for a deciduous forest canopy using simultaneous tower-based carbon flux and radiometric measurements. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 143: 64–79. , , , , , .
- 2006a. 13CO2 pulse-labelling of photoassimilates reveals carbon allocation within and between tree rings. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1571–1584. , , .
- 2006b. Seasonal course of translocation, storage and remobilization of 13C pulse-labeled photoassimilate in naturally growing Larix gmelinii saplings. New Phytologist 171: 793–804. , , .
- 2007. Rapid mixing between old and new C pools in the canopy of mature forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 963–972. , , , .
- 2006. Canopy CO2 enrichment permits tracing the fate of recently assimilated carbon in a mature deciduous forest. New Phytologist 172: 319–329. , , .
- 2011. The model-data fusion pitfall: assuming certainty in an uncertain world. Oecologia 167: 587–597. , , , .
- 2012. Using model-data fusion to interpret past trends, and quantify uncertainties in future projections, of terrestrial ecosystem carbon cycling. Global Change Biology 18: 2555–2569. , , , , .
- 2003. Carbon limitation in trees. Journal of Ecology 91: 4–17. .
- 1992. Carbohydrate sources and sinks in woody plants. Botanical Review 58: 107–222. .
- 2011. Seasonal patterns of carbon allocation to respiratory pools in 60-yr-old deciduous (Fagus sylvatica) and evergreen (Picea abies) trees assessed via whole-tree stable carbon isotope labeling. New Phytologist 191: 160–172. , , , .
- 1993. Mobilization of carbon reserves in young walnut trees. Acta Botanica Gallica 140: 435–441. , , , , .
- 2001. Carbon-based models of individual tree growth: a critical appraisal. Annals of Forest Science 58: 469–506. , , , .
- 1993. Method for batch processing small wood samples to holocellulose for stable carbon isotope analysis. Analytical Chemistry 65: 87–89. , .
- 2008. Radiocarbon observations in atmospheric CO2: determining fossil fuel CO2 over Europe using Jungfraujoch observations as background. Science of the Total Environment 391: 211–216. , , , .
- 2004. The tropospheric 14CO2 level in mid-latitudes of the Northern Hemisphere (1959–2003). Radiocarbon 46: 1261–1272. , .
- 2010. Observations and modelling of the global distribution and long-term trend of atmospheric 14CO2. Tellus Series B-Chemical and Physical Meteorology 62: 26–46. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1991 North American Sugar Maple Decline Project: organization and field methods (GTR NE-154). Radnor, PA, USA: US Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. , , , .
- 2008. Fruit development, not GPP, drives seasonal variation in NPP in a tropical palm plantation. Tree Physiology 28: 1661–1674. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. A single-substrate model to interpret intra-annual stable isotope signals in tree-ring cellulose. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1071–1090. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Discussion: reporting and calibration of post-bomb 14C data. Radiocarbon 46: 1299–1304. , , .
- 2010. Estimating parameters of a forest ecosystem C model with measurements of stocks and fluxes as joint constraints. Oecologia 164: 25–40. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Why is marsh productivity so high? New insights from eddy covariance and biomass measurements in a Typha marsh. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 159–168. , .
- 2006. On linking interannual tree ring variability with observations of whole-forest CO2 flux. Global Change Biology 12: 1378–1389. , , , .
- 2001. Stand-scale correspondence in empirical and simulated labile carbohydrates in loblolly pine. Forest Science 47: 60–68. , , , , .
- 2006. Partitioning sources of soil respiration in boreal black spruce forest using radiocarbon. Global Change Biology 12: 165–176. , .
- 2004. The Keck Carbon Cycle AMS laboratory, University of California, Irvine: initial operation and a background surprise. Radiocarbon 46: 41–49. , , , , , , , , .
- 1968. An introduction to tree-ring dating. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. , .
- 2000. Modelling the components of plant respiration: representation and realism. Annals of Botany 85: 55–67. , .
- 2006. Carbon respired by terrestrial ecosystems – recent progress and challenges. Global Change Biology 12: 141–153. .
- 2007. Factors controlling CO2 exchange on timescales from hourly to decadal at Harvard Forest. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences 112: Art. No. G02020. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Evidence of old carbon used to grow new fine roots in a tropical forest. New Phytologist 182: 710–718. , , .
- 2002. Measuring changes in stress and vitality indicators in limed sugar maple on the Allegheny Plateau in north-central Pennsylvania. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32: 629–641. , , , , , .
- 2012. A re-evaluation of carbon storage in trees lends greater support for carbon limitation to growth. New Phytologist 195: 285–289. , .
- 2005. An improved analysis of forest carbon dynamics using data assimilation. Global Change Biology 11: 89–105. , , , , .
- 2003. Seasonal patterns of reserve and soluble carbohydrates in mature sugar maple (Acer saccharum). Canadian Journal of Botany 81: 780–788. , , .
- 2005. Non-structural carbohydrate pools in a tropical forest. Oecologia 143: 11–24. , , , .
- 2007. Modifying a sealed tube zinc reduction method for preparation of AMS graphite targets: reducing background and attaining high precision. Nuclear Instruments & Methods in Physics Research Section B-Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms 259: 320–329. , , , , , , .