Elevated CO2 increases tree-level intrinsic water use efficiency: insights from carbon and oxygen isotope analyses in tree rings across three forest FACE sites
Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 2, pages 544–554, January 2013
How to Cite
Battipaglia, G., Saurer, M., Cherubini, P., Calfapietra, C., McCarthy, H. R., Norby, R. J. and Francesca Cotrufo, M. (2013), Elevated CO2 increases tree-level intrinsic water use efficiency: insights from carbon and oxygen isotope analyses in tree rings across three forest FACE sites. New Phytologist, 197: 544–554. doi: 10.1111/nph.12044
- Issue online: 18 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 5 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUL 2012
- IBIMET CNR
- 2005. What have we learned from 15 years of free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE)? A meta-analytic review of the responses of photosynthesis, canopy. New Phytologist 165: 351–371. , .
- 2007. The response of photosynthesis and stomatal conductance to rising CO2: mechanisms and environmental interactions. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 258–270. , .
- 2007. Stable oxygen isotope composition of plant tissue: a review. Functional Plant Biology 34: 83–94. .
- 2000. Variation in the oxygen isotope ratio of phloem sap sucrose from castor bean. Evidence in support of the Peclet effect. Plant Physiology 123: 671–679. , , , , .
- 2004. Expressing leaf water and cellulose oxygen isotope ratios as enrichment above source water reveals evidence of a Peclet effect. Oecologia 138: 426–435. , , , .
- 2008. Climatic sensitivity of delta O-18 in the wood and cellulose of tree rings: results from a mixed stand of Acer pseudoplatanus L. and Fagus sylvatica L. Palaeogeography Palaeoclimatology Palaeoecology 261: 193–202. , , , , .
- 2003. Photosynthesis and stomatal conductance responses of poplars to free-air CO2 enrichment (PopFACE) during the first growth cycle and immediately following coppice. New Phytologist 159: 609–621. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Comparing tree-ring chronologies and repeated timber inventories as forest monitoring tools. Ecological Applications 9: 216–227. .
- 2007. Wood cellulose preparation methods and mass spectrometric analyses of delta C-13, delta O-18, and nonexchangeable delta H-2 values in cellulose, sugar, and starch: an interlaboratory comparison. Analytical Chemistry 79: 4603–4612. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Influence of stand structure on carbon-13 of vegetation, soils, and canopy air within deciduous and evergreen forests in Utah, United States. Oecologia 110: 109–119. , , .
- 2005. Canopy profiles of photosynthetic parameters under elevated CO2 and N fertilization in a poplar plantation. Environmental Pollution 137: 525–535. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Elevated CO2 reduces the nitrogen concentration of plant tissues. Global Change Biology 4: 43–54. , , .
- 2009. Acclimation of leaf hydraulic conductance and stomatal conductance of Pinus taeda (loblolly pine) to long-term growth in elevated CO2 (free-air CO2 enrichment) and N-fertilization. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1500–1512. , , , , , .
- 2010. Variable conductivity and embolism in roots and branches of four contrasting tree species and their impacts on whole-plant hydraulic performance under future atmospheric CO2 concentration. Tree Physiology 30: 1001–1015. , , , , .
- 1999. CO2 enrichment in a maturing pine forest: are CO2 exchange and water status in the canopy affected? Plant, Cell & Environment 22: 461–472. .
- 2012. Elevated CO2 affects photosynthetic responses in canopy pine and subcanopy deciduous trees over 10 years: a synthesis from Duke FACE. Global Change Biology 18: 223–242. , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Carbon isotope discrimination and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 40: 503–537. , , .
- 1993. Vegetation effects on the isotope composition of oxygen in atmospheric CO2. Nature 363: 439–443. , , , , , , , .
- 1982. On the relationship between carbon isotope discrimination and the intercellular carbon dioxide concentration in leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 121–137. , , .
- 1995. Stomatal responses to increased CO2 - implications from the plant to the global-scale. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 1214–1225. , , .
- 1976. Tree rings and climate. London, UK; New York, NY, San Francisco, USA: Academic Press. .
- 2011. Evidence of changing intrinsic water-use efficiency under rising atmospheric CO(2) concentrations in Boreal Fennoscandia from subfossil leaves and tree ring delta 13C ratios. Global Change Biology 17: 1064–1072. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Net carbon storage in a poplar plantation (POPFACE) after three years of free-air CO2 enrichment. Tree Physiology 25: 1399–1408. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Environmental and stomatal control of photosynthetic enhancement in the canopy of a sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua L.) plantation during 3 years of CO2 enrichment. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 379–393. , , , , , .
- 1994. Photosynthetic acclimation in trees to rising atmospheric CO2 - a broader perspective. Photosynthesis Research 39: 369–388. , .
- 1999. The meta-analysis of response ratios in experimental ecology. Ecology 80: 1150–1156. , , .
- 1999. A free-air enrichment system for exposing tall forest vegetation to elevated atmospheric CO2. Global Change Biology 5: 293–309. , , , .
- 2004. Reduced stomatal conductance in sweetgum (liquidambar styraciflua) sustained over long-term CO2 enrichment. New Phytologist 162: 387–396. , , .
- 1995. Rapid recycling of triose phosphates in oak stem tissue. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 931–936. , , , , .
- 1994. CO2 alters water-use, carbon gain, and yield for the dominant species in a natural grassland. Oecologia 98: 257–262. , , , .
- 2006. Canopy CO2 enrichment permits tracing the fate of recently assimilated carbon in a mature deciduous forest. New Phytologist 172: 319–329. , , .
- 2008. Applied regression analysis and multivariable methods. Belmont, CA, USA: Thomson Higher Education. , , , .
- 2006. Plant CO2 responses: an issue of definition, time and resource supply. New Phytologist 172: 393–411. .
- 2006. Interannual climatic variation mediates elevated CO2 and O-3 effects on forest growth. Global Change Biology 12: 1054–1068. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Elevated CO2 effects on plant carbon, nitrogen, and water relations: six important lessons from face. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 2859–2876. , , , , , .
- 2006. Woody biomass production during the second rotation of a bio-energy populus plantation increases in a future high CO2 world. Global Change Biology 12: 1094–1106. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Elevated CO2 concentration, fertilization and their interaction: growth stimulation in a short-rotation poplar coppice (EUROFACE). Tree Physiology 25: 179–189. , , , , , , .
- 2012. From pattern to process: linking intrinsic water-use efficiency to drought-induced forest decline. Global Change Biology 18: 1000–1015. , .
- 1991. Stable isotopes in tree-ring cellulose and climatic-change. Tellus Series B – Chemical and Physical Meteorology 43: 322–330. , , , , , .
- 2002. Branch growth and gas exchange in 13-year-old loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) trees in response to elevated carbon dioxide concentration and fertilization. Tree Physiology 22: 1093–1106. , , , , .
- 2004. Stable isotopes in tree rings. Quaternary Science Reviews 23: 771–801. , .
- 2007. Temporal dynamics and spatial variability in the enhancement of canopy leaf area under elevated atmospheric CO2. Global Change Biology 13: 2479–2497. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Reassessment of plant carbon dynamics at the Duke free-air CO2 enrichment site: interactions of atmospheric CO2 with nitrogen and water availability over stand development. New Phytologist 185: 514–528. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) of a poplar plantation: the POPFACE fumigation system. New Phytologist 150: 465–476. , , , , , .
- 2001. Time-series analysis of delta C-13 from tree rings. I. Time trends and autocorrelation. Tree Physiology 21: 1087–1102. , .
- 2003. Leaf dynamics of a deciduous forest canopy: no response to elevated CO2. Oecologia 136: 574–584. , , , .
- 2001. Allometric determination of tree growth in a CO2-enriched sweetgum stand. New Phytologist 150: 477–487. , , , .
- 2010. Co(2) enhancement of forest productivity constrained by limited nitrogen availability. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 19368–19373. , , , , .
- 2011 Ecological lessons from free-air CO2 enrichment (face) experiments. In: Futuyma DJ, Shaffer HB, Simberloff D, eds. Annual review of ecology, evolution, and systematics, vol 42. Palo Alto, CA, USA: Annual Reviews, 181–203. , .
- 2003. Tracing changes in ecosystem function under elevated carbon dioxide conditions. BioScience 53: 805–818. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Elevated carbon dioxide does not affect average canopy stomatal conductance of Pinus taeda L. Oecologia 117: 47–52. , , .
- 2011. Increased water-use efficiency during the 20th century did not translate into enhanced tree growth. Global Ecology and Biogeography 20: 597–608. , , .
- 1997. Concentration and delta C-13 of leaf carbohydrates in relation to gas exchange in quercus robur under elevated CO2 and drought. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1547–1556. , , .
- 2003. ORNL FACE weather data [WWW document] URL http://cdiac.ornl.gov.programs/FACE/ornldata/weatherfiles.html Carbon dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge, Tenn [accessed 2 June 2005]. , , .
- 2000. Hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios of tree ring cellulose for field-grown riparian trees. Oecologia 123: 481–489. , .
- 2004. Carbon isotope discrimination indicates improving water-use efficiency of trees in northern Eurasia over the last 100 years. Global Change Biology 10: 2109–2120. , , .
- 2002. Hydrologic balance in an intact temperate forest ecosystem under ambient and elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration. Global Change Biology 8: 895–911. , , , .
- 2000. Linking stable oxygen and carbon isotopes with stomatal conductance and photosynthetic capacity: a conceptual model. Oecologia 125: 350–357. , , , .
- 1988. Tree rings: basics and applications of dendrochronology. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers. .
- 1996. Dendrochronology – an extremely exact measuring tool for the study of environmental and human history. Naturwissenschaften 83: 370–377. .
- 2008. Carbon isotopes and water use efficiency: sense and sensitivity. Oecologia 155: 441–454. , , , .
- 2004. Persistent stimulation of photosynthesis by elevated CO2 in a sweetgum (Liquidambar styraciflua) forest stand. New Phytologist 162: 343–354. , , , .
- 2007. Photosynthetic responses of forest understory tree species to long-term exposure to elevated carbon dioxide concentration at the Duke Forest FACE experiment. Tree Physiology 27: 25–32. , .
- 2000. Comparative stem-growth rates of Mediterranean trees under background and naturally enhanced ambient CO2 concentrations. New Phytologist 146: 59–74. , , .
- 2005. Stomatal conductance and not stomatal density determines the long-term reduction in leaf transpiration of poplar in elevated CO2. Oecologia 143: 652–660. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Water availability and carbon isotope discrimination in conifers. Oecologia 127: 476–486. , , .
- 2011a. Elevated CO2 enhances leaf senescence during extreme drought in a temperate forest. Tree Physiology 31: 117–130. , , .
- 2011b. Ecohydrologic impact of reduced stomatal conductance in forests exposed to elevated CO2. Ecohydrology 4: 196–210. , , , , , .
- 2010. Differential anatomical responses to elevated CO2 in saplings of four hardwood species. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 1101–1111. , , , , .
- 2002. Plant water relations at elevated CO2 – implications for water-limited environments. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 319–331. , , .
- 2005 Effect of elevated carbon dioxide concentration on wood structure and formation in trees. In: Omasa K, Nouchi I, De Kok LD, eds. Plant responses to air pollution and global change. Tokyo, Japan: Sprinter-Verlag, 89–97. , , , , .