Internal aeration of paddy field rice (Oryza sativa) during complete submergence – importance of light and floodwater O2
Version of Record online: 6 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 4, pages 1193–1203, March 2013
How to Cite
Winkel, A., Colmer, T. D., Ismail, A. M. and Pedersen, O. (2013), Internal aeration of paddy field rice (Oryza sativa) during complete submergence – importance of light and floodwater O2. New Phytologist, 197: 1193–1203. doi: 10.1111/nph.12048
- Issue online: 4 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 6 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 11 SEP 2012
- University of Western Australia International Postgraduate Research Scholarship
- Danish Council for Independent Research. Grant Number: 09-072482
- Crawford Fund
- International Rice Research Institute
- 1979. Aeration in higher plants. Advances in Botanical Research 7: 225–332. .
- 2010. Submergence tolerant rice: SUB1's journey from landrace to modern cultivar. Rice 3: 138–147. , , , , , .
- 2008. Flooding stress: acclimations and genetic diversity. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 313–339. , .
- 2005. Flow velocity affects internal oxygen conditions in the seagrass Cymodocea nodosa. Aquatic Botany 83: 239–247. , , .
- 2005. The potential role of plant oxygen and sulphide dynamics in die-off events of the tropical seagrass, Thalassia testudinum. Journal of Ecology 93: 148–158. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Aerenchyma and an inducible barrier to radial oxygen loss facilitate root aeration in upland, paddy and deep-water rice (Oryza sativa L.). Annals of Botany 91: 301–309. .
- 2008a. Oxygen dynamics in submerged rice (Oryza sativa). New Phytologist 178: 326–334. , .
- 2008b. Underwater photosynthesis and respiration in leaves of submerged wetland plants: gas films improve CO2 and O2 exchange. New Phytologist 177: 918–926. , .
- 2011. A perspective on underwater photosynthesis in submerged terrestrial wetland plants. AoB Plants 2011: plr030. doi: 10.1093/aobpla/plr030. , , .
- 2009. Submergence tolerance in relation to variable floodwater conditions in rice. Environmental and Experimental Botany 66: 425–434. , , , , .
- 2005. Elongation ability and non-structural carbohydrate levels in relation to submergence tolerance in rice. Plant Science 168: 131–136. , , .
- 2003. Blocking ethylene perception enhances flooding tolerance in rice seedlings. Functional Plant Biology 30: 813–819. , , , , .
- 1951. The assimilation and degradation of carbohydrates by yeast cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 193: 113–124. .
- 1981. Influence of tidal inundation on internal oxygen supply of Spartina alterniflora and Spartina patens. Estuarine, Coastal & Shelf Science 13: 47–57. , .
- 2003. Meristematic oxygen variability in Eelgrass (Zostera marina). Limnology and Oceanography 48: 210–216. , , .
- 1976. Mathematical formulation of the relationship between photosynthesis and light for phytoplankton. Limnology and Oceanography 21: 540–547. , .
- 1978. Water analysis: some revised methods for limnologists: Ambleside, Cumbria, UK: The Windermere Laboratory, The Ferry House, Freshwater Biological Association. , , .
- 1941. Absorption of light by chlorophyll solutions. Journal of Biological Chemistry 140: 315–322. .
- 2006. Ecophysiological determinants of plant performance under flooding: a comparative study of seven plant families. Journal of Ecology 94: 1117–1129. , , , , .
- 2005. Submergence-induced morphological, anatomical, and biochemical responses in a terrestrial species affect gas diffusion resistance and photosynthetic performance. Plant Physiology 139: 497–508. , , , , .
- 2005. Underwater photosynthesis in flooded terrestrial plants: a matter of leaf plasticity. Annals of Botany 96: 581–589. , .
- 2012. Physical gills prevent drowning of many wetland insects, spiders and plants. Journal of Experimental Biology 215: 705–709. , .
- 2010. Submergence tolerance in Hordeum marinum: dissolved CO2 determines underwater photosynthesis and growth. Functional Plant Biology 37: 524–531. , , .
- 2011. In situ O2 dynamics in submerged Isoetes australis: varied leaf and gas permeability influences underwater photosynthesis and internal O2. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 4691–4700. , , , .
- 2009. Surviving floods: leaf gas films improve O2 and CO2 exchange, root aeration, and growth of completely submerged rice. Plant Journal 58: 147–156. , , .
- 1999. Environmental characterization of floodwater in eastern India: relevance to submergence tolerance of lowland rice. Experimental Agriculture 35: 141–152. , , , , , , , .
- 1983. A method for measuring leaf volume, density, thickness, and internal gas volume. HortScience 18: 698–699. .
- 1983. How does deep water rice solve its aeration problem. Plant Physiology 72: 447–454. , .
- 1998. Photosynthesis of amphibious and obligately submerged plants in CO2-rich lowland streams. Oecologia 117: 31–39. , .
- 2005. Contrasting oxygen dynamics in the freshwater isoetid Lobelia dortmanna and the marine seagrass Zostera marina. Annals of Botany 96: 613–623. , , , .
- 1987. Concentrations of CO2 and O2 in floodwater and in internodal lacunae of floating rice growing at 1–2 meter water depths. Plant, Cell & Environment 10: 767–776. , , , , , .
- 1988. Evaluation of factors contributing to diurnal changes in O2 concentrations in floodwater of deepwater rice fields. New Phytologist 110: 151–162. , , , .
- 1996. The beneficial effect of reduced elongation growth on submergence tolerance of rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 1551–1559. , .
- 2009. Responses of SUB1 rice introgression lines to submergence in the field: yield and grain quality. Field Crops Research 113: 12–23. , , .
- 1996. Chemical equilibria and rates in natural waters. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.. , .
- 1990. Aerenchyma formation and associated oxygen movement in seminal and nodal roots of wheat. Plant, Cell & Environment 13: 395–403. , , , .
- 2004. Assessing the reliability of permanganate-oxidizable carbon as an index of soil labile carbon. Soil Science Society of American Journal 68: 969–978. ,
- 2011. Natural variation of submergence tolerance among Arabidopsis thaliana accessions. New Phytologist 190: 299–310. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1989. Diurnal changes in radial oxygen loss and ethanol-metabolism in roots of submerged and non-submerged rice seedlings. New Phytologist 113: 439–451. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Prioritizing the rice biotechnology research agenda for eastern India. New York, NY, USA: The Rockefeller Foundation. , .
- 2011. Leaf gas films of Spartina anglica enhance rhizome and root oxygen during tidal submergence. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 2083–2092. , , .
- 2006. Sub1A is an ethylene-response-factor-like gene that confers submergence tolerance to rice. Nature 442: 705–708. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Improving sustainable productivity in rice-based rainfed lowland systems of South and Southeast Asia. GeoJournal 35: 307–324. , .