Polyploidy enhances the occupation of heterogeneous environments through hydraulic related trade-offs in Atriplex canescens (Chenopodiaceae)
Version of Record online: 3 DEC 2012
No claim to original US government works. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 3, pages 970–978, February 2013
How to Cite
Hao, G.-Y., Lucero, M. E., Sanderson, S. C., Zacharias, E. H. and Holbrook, N. M. (2013), Polyploidy enhances the occupation of heterogeneous environments through hydraulic related trade-offs in Atriplex canescens (Chenopodiaceae). New Phytologist, 197: 970–978. doi: 10.1111/nph.12051
- Issue online: 7 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 3 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 21 AUG 2012
- Ministry for Environment, Land and Sea
- 1997. Use of centrifugal force in the study of xylem cavitation. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 665–674. , , , .
- 1970. Effects of soil texture on evaporative loss and available water in semi-arid climates. Soil Science 110: 328–332. , .
- 1941. Galax: the genus and its chromosomes. Journal of Heredity 32: 249–254. .
- 2012. The more the better? The role of polyploidy in facilitating plant invasions. Annals of Botany 109: 19–45. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Root elongation, water stress, and mechanical impedance: a review of limiting stresses and beneficial root tip traits. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 59–68. , , , .
- 2003. Stomatal closure during leaf dehydration, correlation with other leaf physiological traits. Plant Physiology 132: 2166–2173. , .
- 2004. Stomatal protection against hydraulic failure: a comparison of coexisting ferns and angiosperms. New Phytologist 162: 663–670. , .
- 2002. Hydraulic and photosynthetic co-ordination in seasonally dry tropical forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1435–1444. , , .
- 2005. Leaf hydraulic capacity in ferns, conifers and angiosperms: impacts on photosynthetic maxima. New Phytologist 165: 839–846. , , , .
- 2007. Ecological differentiation and diploid superiority across a moving ploidy contact zone. Evolution 61: 125–140. , .
- 2005. The advantages and disadvantages of being polyploid. Nature Reviews Genetics 6: 836–846. .
- 2008. Maximum height in a conifer is associated with conflicting requirements for xylem design. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 12 069–12 074. , , , , , .
- 1984. Cytotype distribution of Atriplex canescens (Chenopodiaceae) of southern New Mexico and adjacent Texas. Southwestern Naturalist 29: 223–228. .
- 1971. The Negev: the challenge of a desert. Cambridge, MA, USA: Harvard University Press. , , .
- 2012. Hydraulic conductivity traits predict growth rates and adult stature of 40 Asian tropical tree species better than wood density. Journal of Ecology 100: 732–741. , , , , .
- 2009. Xylem function of arid-land shrubs from California, USA: an ecological and evolutionary analysis. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1324–1333. , , .
- 2001. Cavitation fatigue. Embolism and refilling cycles can weaken the cavitation resistance of xylem. Plant Physiology 125: 779–786. , , , , .
- 2011. Ecology of hemiepiphytism in fig species is based on evolutionary correlation of hydraulics and carbon economy. Ecology 92: 2117–2130. , , , , , , , , .
- 1960. The distribution and cytology of the chromosome races of Themeda australis in Southern Australia. Australian Journal of Botany 8: 58–68. .
- 2007. Cavitation resistance and seasonal hydraulics differ among three arid Californian plant communities. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 1599–1609. , , , .
- 1995. The mechanism of water-stress-induced embolism in two species of chaparral shrubs. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 189–196. , , .
- 1998. Integrating genetic concepts into planning rangeland seedings. Journal of Range Management 51: 594–606. , .
- 2004. Photosynthetic pathway alters hydraulic structure and function in woody plants. Oecologia 139: 214–223. , .
- 2002. The role of chromosomal change in plant evolution. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 1996. Polyploids and their structural and physiological characteristics relative to water deficit in Betula papyrifera (Betulaceae). American Journal of Botany 83: 15–20. , , .
- 1987. Polyploidy and habitat differentiation in Dactylis glomerata L. from Galicia (Spain). Oecologia 73: 436–446. , , , , , .
- 2009. Genome duplication and the evolution of physiological responses to water stress. New Phytologist 184: 721–731. , , .
- 2012. Environmental aridity is associated with cytotype segregation and polyploidy occurrence in Brachypodium distachyon (Poaceae). New Phytologist 193: 797–805. , , , , , .
- 2002. Xylem hydraulic properties of roots and stems of nine Mediterranean woody species. Oecologia 133: 19–29. , , , .
- 1994. Stomatal size in fossil plants: evidence for polyploidy in majority of angiosperms. Science 264: 421–424. .
- 1993. Relationship between endopolyploidy and cell size in epidermal tissue of Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 5: 1661–1668. , , .
- 1992. Production of triploid cassava, Manihot esculenta Crantz by hybrid diploid gametes. Field Crops Research 30: 173–182. .
- 2006. The synthesis of a new cassava-derived species, Manihot vieiri Nassar. Genetics and Molecular Research 5: 536–541. .
- 2008. Anatomical alterations due to polyploidy in cassava, Manihot esculenta Crantz. Genetics and Molecular Research 7: 276–283. , , , .
- 1973. Desert ecosystems: environment and producers. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 4: 25–51. .
- 1977. A cost-income model of leaves and roots with special reference to arid and semiarid areas. American Naturalist 111: 677–690. , .
- 2000. Ecological implications of xylem cavitation for several Pinaceae in the Pacific Northern USA. Functional Ecology 14: 538–545. , .
- 1996. Drought resistance, recovery capacity, and phytohormone content in polyploid plum leaves. Russian Journal of Plant Physiology 43: 232–235. , , , , .
- 2011. Polyploidy and ecological adaptation in wild yarrow. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 7096–7101. .
- 2003. The ‘hydrology’ of leaves: co-ordination of structure and function in temperate woody species. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1343–1356. , , , .
- 2006. Leaf hydraulics. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 361–381. , .
- 2005. Leaf hydraulic architecture correlates with regeneration irradiance in tropical rainforest trees. New Phytologist 167: 403–413. , , .
- 1987. The nitrogen use efficiency of C3 and C4 plants. I. Leaf nitrogen, growth, and biomass partitioning in Chenopodium album (L.) and Amaranthus retroflexus (L.). Plant Physiology 84: 954–958. , .
- 1994. High chromosome numbers in Mojavean and Sonoran Desert Atriplex canescens (Chenopodiaceae). American Journal of Botany 81: 1045–1053. , .
- 2004. Leaf photosynthetic traits scale with hydraulic conductivity and wood density in Panamanian forest canopy trees. Oecologia 140: 543–550. , , , , , , .
- 1991. Ecophysiology of the polyploid shrub Atriplex canescens (Chenopodiaceae) growing in situ in the northern Chihuahuan Desert. Journal of Arid Environments 21: 45–57. , , , .
- 1983. Phenotypic correlates of genomic DNA content in unicellular eukaryotes and other cells. American Naturalist 122: 26–44. , , , .
- 2010. What we still don't know about polyploidy. Taxon 59: 1387–1403. , , , .
- 2002. Desert shrub water relations with respect to soil characteristics and plant functional type. Functional Ecology 16: 367–378. , .
- 1994. Intra- and inter-plant variation in xylem cavitation in Betula occidentalis. Plant, Cell & Environment 17: 1233–1241. , .
- 1950. Variation and evolution in higher plants. London, UK: Addison-Wesley. .
- 1975. Evolutionary studies of Atriplex: a relic gigas diploid population of Atriplex canescens. American Journal of Botany 62: 236–245. , , .
- 1983. Evolutionary studies of Atriplex chromosome races of A. confertifolia (shadscale). American Journal of Botany 70: 1536–1547. , .
- 1991. The hydraulic architecture of trees and other woody plants. New Phytologist 119: 345–360. , .
- 1989. Effects of polyploidy on photosynthetic rates, photosynthetic enzymes, contents of DNA, chlorophyll, and sizes and numbers of photosynthetic cells in the C4 dicot Atriplex confertifolia. Plant Physiology 91: 1143–1151. , .
- 1993. Effects of polyploidy on photosynthesis. Photosynthesis Research 35: 135–147. , .
- 2005. Inter-vessel pitting and cavitation in woody Rosaceae and other vesselled plants: a basis for a safety versus efficiency trade-off in xylem transport. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 800–812. , , , .
- 2009. Stem hydraulics mediates leaf water status, carbon gain, nutrient use efficiencies and plant growth rates across dipterocarp species. Functional Ecology 23: 658–667. , .
- 1998. Diurnal variation in xylem hydraulic conductivity in white ash (Fraxinus americana L.), red maple (Acer rubrum L.) and red spruce (Picea rubens Sarg.). Plant, Cell & Environment 21: 1173–1180. , .