Differential introgression reveals candidate genes for selection across a spruce (Picea sitchensis × P. glauca) hybrid zone
Article first published online: 10 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 3, pages 927–938, February 2013
How to Cite
Hamilton, J. A., Lexer, C. and Aitken, S. N. (2013), Differential introgression reveals candidate genes for selection across a spruce (Picea sitchensis × P. glauca) hybrid zone. New Phytologist, 197: 927–938. doi: 10.1111/nph.12055
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 10 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 7 SEP 2012
- Genome British Columbia, Genome Canada and the Province of British Columbia
- the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada
- NSERC Canada Graduate Scholarship
- 2008. Adaptation from standing genetic variation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23: 38–44. , .
- 2011. Molecular spandrels: tests of adaptation at the genetic level. Nature Reviews Genetics 12: 767–780. , .
- 2001. The role of hybridization in evolution. Molecular Ecology 10: 551–568. .
- 1985. Analysis of hybrid zones. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16: 113–148. , .
- 2004. Identifying adaptive genetic divergence among populations from genome scans. Molecular Ecology 13: 969–980. , .
- 1996. Evaluating loci for use in the genetic analysis of population structure. Proceedings of the Royal Society-B 263: 1619–1626. , .
- 2004. Genetic analysis of the Picea sitchensis × glauca introgression zone in British Columbia. Forest Ecology and Management 197: 65–77. , , .
- 2011. The coupling hypothesis: why genome scans may fail to map local adaptation genes. Molecular Ecology 20: 2044–2072. , , , , .
- 2009. Adaptation and selection in the Senecio (Asteraceae) hybrid zone on Mount Etna, Sicily. New Phytologist 183: 702–717. , , , , .
- 2008. Admixture as the basis for genetic mapping. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23: 686–694. , .
- 2008. Haldane's rule in an avian system: using cline theory and divergence population genetics to test for differential introgression of mitochondrial, autosomal, and sex-linked loci across the Passerina bunting hybrid zone. Evolution 62: 2600–2615. , .
- 2009. Speciation in Passerina buntings: introgression patterns of sex-linked loci identify a candidate gene region for reproductive isolation. Molecular Ecology 18: 834–847. , .
- 2012. Sphingolipic 8 unsaturation is important for glucosylceramide biosynthesis and low-temperature performance in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal 69: 769–781. , , .
- 2010. Admixture facilitates adaptation from standing variation in the European aspen (Populus tremula L.), a widespread forest tree. Molecular Ecology 19: 1638–1650. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Isolation of plant DNA from fresh tissue. Focus 12: 13–15. , .
- 2009. Detecting loci under selection in a hierarchically structured population. Heredity 103: 285–298. , , .
- 2005. Arlequin ver. 3.0: an integrated software package for population genetics data analysis. Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online 1: 47–50. , , .
- 2006. Illumina Universal Bead Arrays. Methods in Enzymology 410: 57–73. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. A genome-scan method to identify selected loci appropriate for both dominant and codominant markers: a bayesian perspective. Genetics 180: 977–993. , .
- 2011. A map of local adaptation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 334: 86–89. , , , , , .
- 2009. A powerful regression-based method for admixture mapping of isolation across the genome of hybrids. Molecular Ecology 18: 1207–1224. , .
- 2010. INTROGRESS: a software package for mapping components of isolation in hybrids. Molecular Ecology Resources 10: 378–384. , .
- 2012. Genomics of isolation in hybrids. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 367: 439–450. , , .
- 2006. DNA sequence variation and selection of Tag Single-Nucleotie Polymorphisms at candidate genes for drought-stress response in Pinus taeda L. Genetics 172: 1915–1926. , , , , .
- 2012. Genomic and phenotypic architecture of a spruce hybrid zone (Picea sitchensis × P. glauca). Molecular Ecology. doi: 10.1111/mec.12007. , , .
- 2011. Adaptation to climate across the Arabidopsis thaliana genome. Science 334: 83–86. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Global monitoring of autumn gene expression within and among phenotypically divergent populations of Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis). New Phytologist 178: 103–122. , , , , .
- 2010. Widespread, ecologically relevant genetic markers developed from association mapping of climate-related traits in Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis). New Phytologist 188: 501–514. , , .
- 2010. grofit: fitting biological growth curves with R. Journal of Statistical Software 33: 1–21. , , , , .
- 2009. Genetic analyses indicate highly porous genomes and high levels of gene flow between divergent Helianthus species. Evolution 63: 2061–2075. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Interior Cedar-Hemlock Zone. In: , , eds. Ecosystems of British Columbia. Victoria, BC: Ministry of Forests, 167–181. , , , , , .
- 2012. The genetic differentiation of quantiative trait loci under local adaptation. Molecular Ecology 21: 1548–1566. , .
- 2007. Admixture in European Populus hybrid zones makes feasible the mapping of loci that contribute to reproductive isolation and trait differences. Heredity 98: 74–84. , , , , .
- 2005. Barrier to gene flow between two ecologically divergent Populus species, P. alba (white poplar) and P. tremula (European aspen): the role of ecology and life history in gene introgression. Molecular Ecology 14: 1045–1057. , , , , .
- 2004. Hybrid zones as a tool for identifying adaptive genetic variation in outbreeding forest trees: lessons from wild annual sunflowers (Helianthus spp.). Forest Ecology and Management 197: 49–64. , , , .
- 2010. Genomic admixture analysis in European Populus spp. reveals unexpected patterns of reproductive isolation and mating. Genetics 186: 699–712. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Hybrid populations selectively filter gene introgression between species. Evolution 55: 1325–1335. , , , .
- 2007. Increased selfing and decreased effective pollen donor number in peripheral relative to central populations in Picea sitchensis (Pinaceae). American Journal of Botany 94: 991–998. , .
- 2008. Scanning the genome for gene single nucleotide polymorphisms involved in adaptive population differentiation in white spruce. Molecular Ecology 17: 3599–3613. , , , , .
- 2009. Genomic signatures of local directional selection in a high gene flow marine organism; the Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). BMC Evolutionary Biology 9: 276–287. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Variable patterns of introgression in two sculpin hybrid zones suggest that genomic isolation differs among populations. Molecular Ecology 18: 2615–2627. , , .
- 2011. The genes underlying the process of speciation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 26: 160–167. , .
- 2002. Geographic variation in resin canal defenses in seedlings from the Sitka spruce × white spruce introgression zone. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 32: 390–400. , , , .
- 2011. How to fit nonlinear plant growth models and calculate growth rates: an update for ecologists. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 3: 245–256. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Enhancing genetic mapping of complex genomes through the design of highly-multiplexed SNP arrays: application to the large and unsequenced genomes of white spruce and black spruce. BMC Genomics 9: 21. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Using differential introgression in hybrid zones to identify genomic regions involved in speciation. Molecular Ecology Resources 10: 806–820. .
- 2011. QTL mapping in white spruce: gene maps and genomic regions underlying adaptive traits across pedigrees, years and environments. BMC Genomics 12: 145. , , , , .
- 1991. Coastal Western Hemlock Zone. In: , , eds. Ecosystems of British Columbia. Victoria, BC: Ministry of Forests, 95–111. , , .
- 1997. The Pontia daplidice-edusa hybrid zone in Northwestern Italy. Evolution 51: 1561–1573. , , , , .
- 2011. Defense mechanisms against herbivory in Picea: sequence evolution and expression regulation of gene family members in the phenylpropanoid pathway. BMC Genomics 12: 608. , , , .
- R Development Core Team. 2007. R: a language and environment for statistical computer. Vienna, Austria: Computing RFfS.
- 2006. Conifer defence against insects: microarray gene expression profiling of Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis) induced by mechanical wounding or feeding by spruce budworms (Choristoneura occidentalis) or white pine weevils (Pissodes strobi) reveals large-scale changes of the host transcriptome. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 1545–1570. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Genome-wide patterns of divergence during speciation: the lake whitefish case study. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 367: 354–363. , , , , , , .
- 2001. How gibberellin regulates plant growth and development: a molecular genetic analysis of gibberellin signaling. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 52: 67–88. , , , .
- 1993. Introgression and its consequences in plants. Hybrid zones and the evolutionary process. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press. , .
- 1999. Hybrid zones and the genetic architecture of a barrier to gene flow between two sunflower species. Genetics 152: 713–727. , , .
- 1969. A genecological study of the genus Picea in British Columbia. New Phytologist 68: 505–554. .
- 2009. Genetics and ecological speciation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 9955–9962. , .
- 2004. Genome scanning for Interspecific differentiation between two closely related oak species [Quercus robur L. and Q. petraea (Matt.) Liebl.]. Genetics 168: 1615–1626. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. High-throughput SNP genotyping on universal bead arrays. Mutation Research/Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis 573: 70–82. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. The population genomics of plant adaptation. New Phytologist 188: 313–332. , , .
- 1984. Role of the plasma membrane in freezing injury and cold acclimation. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 35: 543–584. .
- 2002. A direct approach to false discovery rates. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B 64: 479–498. .
- 2012. What can patterns of differentiation across plant genomes tell us about adaptation and speciation ? Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 367: 364–373. , , , , , .
- 1999. Pollen dispersal inferred from paternity analysis in a mixed oak stand of Quercus robur L. and Q. petraea (Matt.) Liebl. Molecular Ecology 8: 831–841. , , , , , .
- 2010. The variable genomic architecture of isolation between hybridizing species of house mice. Evolution 64: 472–485. , , , , , .
- 2012. Divergence hitchhiking and the spread of genomic isolation during ecological speciation-with-gene flow. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 367: 451–460. .
- 1992. Temporal fluctuations in demographic parameters and the genetic variance among populations. Evolution 46: 608–615. .
- 2008. Evolutionary inference from QST. Molecular Ecology 17: 1885–1896. .
- 2001. The genic view of the process of speciation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 14: 851–865. .
- 2007. Rampant gene exchange across a strong reproductive barrier between the annual sunflowers Helianthus annuus and H. petiolaris. Genetics 175: 1883–1893. , , , .
- 2011. SCARECROW-LIKE 3 promotes gibberellin signaling by antagonizing master growth repressor DELLA in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 2160–2165. , , , , , , , , , .