Adaptation at range margins: common garden trials and the performance of Arabidopsis lyrata across its northwestern European range
Version of Record online: 27 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 3, pages 989–1001, February 2013
How to Cite
Vergeer, P. and Kunin, W. E. (2013), Adaptation at range margins: common garden trials and the performance of Arabidopsis lyrata across its northwestern European range. New Phytologist, 197: 989–1001. doi: 10.1111/nph.12060
- Issue online: 7 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 27 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAY 2012
- Natural Environment Research Council. Grant Number: NE/C507837/1
- 2011. When and how should intraspecific variability be considered in trait-based plant ecology? Perspectives in Plant Ecology Evolution and Systematics 13: 217–225. , , , , .
- 2010. A multi-trait approach reveals the structure and the relative importance of intra- vs. interspecific variability in plant traits. Functional Ecology 24: 1192–1201. , , , , , .
- 2006. Geographical patterns of adaptation within a species' range: interactions between drift and gene flow. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 19: 203–215. , , .
- 2006. Demography of central and marginal populations of monkeyflowers (Mimulus cardinalis and M. lewisii). Ecology 87: 2014–2025. .
- 2001. Adaptation at the edge of a species' range. Oxford, UK: Blackwell. .
- 2007. Limits to evolution at range margins: when and why does adaptation fail? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22: 140–147. , .
- 1999. Slug herbivory as a limiting factor for the geographical range of Arnica montana. Journal of Ecology 87: 839–848. , .
- 2003. Genetics and the boundaries of species distributions. In: Blackburn T, Gaston KJ eds. Macroecology: Concepts and Consequences 2003. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Science, 274–295. , , .
- 1995. The determinants of the distribution and abundance of the winter annual grass Vulpia ciliata ssp. ambigua. Journal of Ecology 83: 177–187. , , .
- 2000. Interspecific competition, environmental gradients, gene flow, and the coevolution of species' borders. American Naturalist 155: 583–605. , .
- 2011. Adaptation to marginal habitats by evolution of increased phenotypic plasticity. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 24: 1462–1476. , .
- 2010. Adaptation, plasticity, and extinction in a changing environment: towards a predictive theory. PLoS Biology 8: e1000357. , , .
- 1948. Experimental responses of climatic races of Achillea. Washington, DC, USA: Carnegie Institute of Washington. , , .
- 2006. Glucosinolate and trichome defenses in a natural Arabidopsis lyrata population. Journal of Chemical Ecology 32: 2351–2373. , , , .
- 2006. Population genetic structure of Arabidopsis lyrata in Europe. Molecular Ecology 15: 2753–2766. , .
- 2010. Evolutionary constraints on adaptive evolution during range expansion in an invasive plant. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 277: 1799–1806. , , .
- 1972. Community interactions on marine rocky intertidal shores. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 3: 169–192. .
- 2009. The covariance between genetic and environmental influences across ecological gradients reassessing the evolutionary significance of countergradient and cogradient variation. In: Schlichting CD, Mousseau TA, eds. Year in evolutionary biology 2009. Malden, MA, USA: Wiley-Blackwell, 100–129. , , .
- 1995. Insect faunas in ice age environments: why so little extinction? Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 2009. Intraspecfic variation in cold-temperature metabolic phenotypes of Arabidopsis lyrata ssp petraea. Metabolomics 5: 138–149. , , .
- 2004. Evolutionary potential of Chamaecrista fasciculata in relation to climate change. II. Genetic architecture of three populations reciprocally planted along an environmental gradient in the great plains. Evolution 58: 1459–1471. .
- 2000. Population differentiation in an annual legume: local adaptation. Evolution 54: 1173–1181. , .
- 2007. The multifarious effects of dispersal and gene flow on contemporary adaptation. Functional Ecology 21: 434–443. , , .
- 2003. The structure and dynamics of geographic ranges. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press. .
- 2007. Landscape structure, clonal propagation, and genetic diversity in Scandinavian populations of Arabidopsis lyrata (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 94: 1146–1155. , , .
- 2008. Climate change and evolution: disentangling environmental and genetic responses. Molecular Ecology 17: 167–178. , , , , .
- 2007. species' borders and dispersal barriers. American Naturalist 170: 297–304. , .
- 2009. Local adaptation occurs along altitudinal gradient despite the existence of gene flow in the alpine plant species Festuca eskia. Journal of Ecology 97: 742–751. , .
- 1977. Evidence for existence of 3 primary strategies in plants and its relevance to ecological and evlutionary theory. American Naturalist 111: 1169–1194. .
- 2001. Plant strategies, vegetation processes, and ecosystem properties. New York, NY, USA: John Wiley and Sons. .
- 2009. A quantitative survey of local adaptation and fitness trade-offs. American Naturalist 173: 579–588. .
- 1997. How does immigration influence local adaptation? A reexamination of a familiar paradigm. American Naturalist 149: 563–572. , .
- 2003. The phenomology of niche evolution via quantitive traits in a ‘black-hole’ sink. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 270: 215–224. , , .
- 2005. species' borders: a unifying theme in ecology. Oikos 108: 3–6. , .
- 2007. Susceptibility of common and rare plant species to the genetic consequences of habitat fragmentation. Conservation Biology 21: 823–831. , .
- 2005. Running to stand still: adaptation and the response of plants to rapid climate change. Ecology Letters 8: 1010–1020. , .
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecology Letters 7: 1225–1241. , .
- 1997. Evolution of a species' range. American Naturalist 150: 1–23. , .
- 2004. Local adaptation within a population of Hydrocotyle bonariensis. Evolutionary Ecology Research 6: 103–114. , .
- 2005. Flowering plants and ferns of Iceland. Reykjavik, Iceland: Edda UK Ltd. .
- 2009. Variation at range margins across multiple spatial scales: environmental temperature, population genetics and metabolomic phenotype. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 276: 1495–1506. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Local adaptation, phenotypic differentiation, and hybrid fitness in diverged natural populations of Arabidopsis lyrata. Evolution 65: 90–107. , , .
- 2009. Local adaptation in European populations of Arabidopsis lyrata (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 96: 1129–1137. , , , , , , .
- 1997. A metapopulation model of species boundaries. Oikos 78: 486–502. , , .
- 2002. Gene flow and the limits to natural selection. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 17: 183–189. .
- 1995. When are peripheral populations valuable for conservation? Conservation Biology 9: 753–760. , .
- 2010. Biostatistical design and analysis using R: a practical guide. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.. .
- 2000. Transplantation of the subshrub Lotus scoparius: testing the home-site advantage hypothesis. Conservation Biology 14: 1034–1045. , .
- 2003. An evolutionary approach to understanding the biology of invasions: local adaptation and general-purpose genotypes in the weed Verbascum thapsus. Conservation Biology 17: 59–72. , , .
- 2001. Phenotypic plasticity: beyong nature and nurture. Baltimore, MD, USA: The John Hopkins University Press. .
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 2004. Environmental and genetic effects on flowering differences between northern and southern populations of Arabidopsis lyrata (Brassicaceae). American Journal of Botany 91: 1036–1045. , .
- 2006. Local adaptation, patterns of selection, and gene flow in the Californian serpentine sunflower (Helianthus exilis). Evolution 60: 696–710. , .
- 2009. Evolution and ecology of species range limits. Annual Review of Ecology Evolution and Systematics, 40: 415–436. , , , .
- 2011. Gene flow increases fitness at the warm edge of a species' range. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 11704–11709. , , .
- 1989. A life-cycle theory of responses to stress. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 37: 101–116. , .
- 2012. Water deficiency induces evolutionary tradeoff between stress tolerance and chemical defense allocation that may help explain range limits in plants. Oikos 121: 790–800. , , , , , .
- 2002. Canoco reference manual and CanoDraw for Windows user's guide: software for canonical community ordination (version 4.5). Ithaca, New York, USA: Microcomputer Power. , .
- 2011. Life history variation in Arabidopsis lyrata across its range: effects of climate, population size and herbivory. Oikos 120: 979–990. , .
- 2008. Geographical variation in the response to nitrogen deposition in Arabidopsis lyrata petraea. New Phytologist 179: 129–141. , , , , .
- 2002. Biogeography, competition, and microclimate: the barnacle Chthamalus fragilis in New England. Integrative and Comparative Biology 42: 872–880. .
- 2011. The niche, biogeography and species interactions. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 366: 2336–2350. .
- 1987. Climate and plant-distribution at global and local scales. Vegetatio 69: 189–197. , .
- 2009. Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , , , , .