Drought response strategies define the relative contributions of hydraulic dysfunction and carbohydrate depletion during tree mortality
Article first published online: 10 DEC 2012
© 2012 CSIRO. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 3, pages 862–872, February 2013
How to Cite
Mitchell, P. J., O'Grady, A. P., Tissue, D. T., White, D. A., Ottenschlaeger, M. L. and Pinkard, E. A. (2013), Drought response strategies define the relative contributions of hydraulic dysfunction and carbohydrate depletion during tree mortality. New Phytologist, 197: 862–872. doi: 10.1111/nph.12064
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 10 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 20 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 2 AUG 2012
- Australian Government's Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
- 2009. Reply to Leuzinger et al.: drought-induced tree mortality temperature sensitivity requires pressing forward with best available science. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: E107. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. A global overview of drought and heat-induced tree mortality reveals emerging climate change risks for forests. Forest Ecology and Management 259: 660–684. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Carbon balance of stressed plants: a conceptual model for integrating research results. New York, NY, USA: Wiley-Liss. , .
- 2007. Respiration as a percentage of daily photosynthesis in whole plants is homeostatic at moderate, but not high, growth temperatures. New Phytologist 174: 367–380. , , .
- 2009. The crucial role of plant mitochondria in orchestrating drought tolerance. Annals of Botany 103: 581–597. , .
- 2000. Assessing the consequences of global change for forest disturbance from herbivores and pathogens. Science of the Total Environment 262: 263–286. , .
- 2011. Impacts of drought on leaf respiration in darkness and light in Eucalyptus saligna exposed to industrial-age atmospheric CO2 and growth temperature. New Phytologist 190: 1003–1018. , , , .
- 2012. The determinants of leaf turgor loss point and prediction of drought tolerance of species and biomes: a global meta-analysis. Ecology Letters 15: 393–405. , , .
- 2006. Temperate forest trees and stands under severe drought: a review of ecophysiological responses, adaptation processes and long-term consequences. Annals of Forest Science 63: 625–644. , , , .
- 2005. Regional vegetation die-off in response to global-change-type drought. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 15144–15148. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Xylem function and growth rate interact to determine recovery rates after exposure to extreme water deficit. New Phytologist 188: 533–542. , , , , .
- 2000. Stem hydraulic supply is linked to leaf photosynthetic capacity: evidence from New Caledonian and Tasmanian rainforests. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 1381–1388. , .
- 2003. Stomatal closure during leaf dehydration, correlation with other leaf physiological traits. Plant Physiology 132: 2166–2173. , .
- 2003. Dynamic changes in hydraulic conductivity in petioles of two savanna tree species: factors and mechanisms contributing to the refilling of embolized vessels. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1633–1645. , , , , .
- 1998. Lignotuber reserves support regrowth following clipping of two Mediterranean shrubs. Functional Ecology 12: 31–38. , .
- 2011. Widespread crown condition decline, food web disruption, and amplified tree mortality with increased climate change-type drought. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 108: 1474–1478. , , , , , .
- 2012. Global convergence in the vulnerability of forests to drought. Nature. doi: 10.1038/nature11688. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Resprouting of the Mediterranean-type shrub Erica australis with modified lignotuber carbohydrate content. Journal of Ecology 91: 348–356. , , .
- 2010. Climatic characteristics of heat waves and their simulation in plant experiments. Global Change Biology 16: 1992–2000. , , , .
- 1969. Variation in total soluble sugars of conifer tissues with method of analysis. Phytochemistry 8: 227–233. .
- 1999. Allometric scaling of production and life-history variation in vascular plants. Nature 401: 907–911. , , , .
- 2007. Drought-related tree death of savanna eucalypts: species susceptibility, soil conditions and root architecture. Journal of Vegetation Science 18: 71–80. , .
- 2006. Keeping a positive carbon balance under adverse conditions: responses of photosynthesis and respiration to water stress. Physiologia Plantarum 127: 343–352. , , , , .
- 2011. Carbon reserves and canopy defoliation determine the recovery of Scots pine 4 yr after a drought episode. New Phytologist 190: 750–759. , , .
- 2001. Trends in wood density and structure are linked to prevention of xylem implosion by negative pressure. Oecologia 126: 457–461. , , , , .
- 1976. Water stress, growth, and osmotic adjustment. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. B, Biological Sciences 273: 479–500. , , , .
- 2002. A modern tool for classical plant growth analysis. Annals of Botany 90: 485–488. .
- 2003. Carbon limitation in trees. Journal of Ecology 91: 4–17. .
- 2009. Tolerance to low leaf water status of tropical tree seedlings is related to drought performance and distribution. Functional Ecology 23: 93–102. , , , , , .
- 1992. Inherent variation in growth rate between higher plants: a search for physiological causes and ecological consequences. Advances in Ecological Research 22: 187–261. , .
- 1995. Testing predictions of the resistance and resilience of vegetation subjected to extreme events. Functional Ecology 9: 640–649. , , .
- 2006. Functional coordination between leaf gas exchange and vulnerability to xylem cavitation in temperate forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 571–583. , , , , .
- 2008. Mechanisms of plant survival and mortality during drought: why do some plants survive while others succumb to drought? New Phytologist 178: 719–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The interdependence of mechanisms underlying climate-driven vegetation mortality. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 26: 523–532. , , , , , .
- 2010. The mechanisms of carbon starvation: how, when, or does it even occur at all? New Phytologist 186: 264–266. , .
- 2008. Using multiple trait associations to define hydraulic functional types in plant communities of south-western Australia. Oecologia 158: 385–397. , , , .
- 2004. Interspecific and inter-site variation in wood specific gravity of tropical trees. Biotropica 36: 20–32. .
- 1996. Growth and water use of Eucalyptus grandis and plantations irrigated with effluent. Tree Physiology 16: 211–219. , , , .
- 1990. Seedling growth and storage characteristics of seeder and resprouter species of Mediterranean-type ecosystems of S. W. Australia. Annals of Botany 65: 585–601. , , , , .
- 1966. Water stress on native vegetation during the drought of 1965. Australian Journal of Botany 14: 257–267. , , .
- 1990. Carbon and nitrogen economy of 24 wild species differing in relative growth rate. Plant Physiology 94: 621–627. , , .
- 2012. Interactive effects of water supply and defoliation on photosynthesis, plant water status and growth of Eucalyptus globulus Labill. Tree Physiology 32: 958–967. , , , , .
- 2010. Physiological mechanisms of drought-induced tree mortality are far from being resolved. New Phytologist 186: 274–281. , , .
- 2004. Leaf photosynthetic traits scale with hydraulic conductivity and wood density in Panamanian forest canopy trees. Oecologia 140: 543–550. , , , , , , .
- 1985. A comparison of pressure–volume curve data analysis techniques. Journal of Experimental Botany 36: 1590–1602. , .
- 2000. Hydraulic constraints on plant gas exchange. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 104: 13–23. .
- 2009. Starch as a major integrator in the regulation of plant growth. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106: 10348–10353. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Effect of seasonal water availability on phenology and the annual shoot carbohydrate cycle of tropical forest shrubs. Functional Ecology 9: 518–527. , .
- 1988. Measurement of plant water status by the pressure chamber technique. Irrigation Science 9: 289–308. .
- 2003. Hydraulic limits on tree performance: transpiration, carbon gain and growth of trees. Trees – Structure and Function 17: 95–100. .
- 2012. Water stress drastically reduces root growth and inulin yield in Cichorium intybus (var. sativum) independently of photosynthesis. Journal of Experimental Botany 63: 4359–4373. , , , , , , .
- 1978. Measuring the inertia and resilience of ecosystems. BioScience 28: 705–710. .
- 1981. Coniferous forests and plantations. In: Kozlowski T, ed. Plant growth and water deficit. London, UK: Academic Press, 49–152. , .