Tracing fresh assimilates through Larix decidua exposed to elevated CO2 and soil warming at the alpine treeline using compound-specific stable isotope analysis
Article first published online: 18 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 3, pages 838–849, February 2013
How to Cite
Streit, K., Rinne, K. T., Hagedorn, F., Dawes, M. A., Saurer, M., Hoch, G., Werner, R. A., Buchmann, N. and Siegwolf, R. T. W. (2013), Tracing fresh assimilates through Larix decidua exposed to elevated CO2 and soil warming at the alpine treeline using compound-specific stable isotope analysis. New Phytologist, 197: 838–849. doi: 10.1111/nph.12074
- Issue published online: 7 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 18 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 10 OCT 2012
- Swiss Secretariat for Educational Research. Grant Number: C07.0033
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Number: 206021_128761
- 1992. Distinct cellular and organismic responses to salt stress. Plant and Cell Physiology 33: 1215–1223. , , , , .
- 2010. Sustained enhancement of photosynthesis in mature deciduous forest trees after eight years of free air CO2 enrichment. Planta 232: 1115–1125. , , .
- 2012. Factors driving mortality and growth at treeline: a 30-year experiment of 92 000 conifers. Ecology 93: 389–401. , , , , .
- 2011. The diel imprint of leaf metabolism on the δ13C signal of soil respiration under control and drought conditions. New Phytologist 192: 925–938. , , , , , .
- 2008. A versatile method for stable carbon isotope analysis of carbohydrates by high-performance liquid chromatography/isotope ratio mass spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 22: 3902–3908. , , , , .
- 2011. Carbon allocation and carbon isotope fluxes in the plant–soil–atmosphere continuum: a review. Biogeosciences 8: 3457–3489. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Elevated CO2 concentration affects leaf photosynthesis–nitrogen relationships in Pinus taeda over nine years in FACE. Tree Physiology 28: 607–614. , , .
- 2013. Alpine treelines in a CO2-rich world: synthesis of a nine year free air CO2 enrichment study. Oecologia, in press. , , , , , , , .
- 2011a. Growth and community responses of alpine dwarf shrubs to in situ CO2 enrichment and soil warming. New Phytologist 191: 806–818. , , , , , , .
- 2011b. Species-specific tree growth responses to nine years of CO2 enrichment at the alpine treeline. Journal of Ecology 99: 383–394. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Carbohydrate metabolism. In: Buchanan BB, Gruissem W, Russel LJ, eds. Biochemistry and molecular biology of plants. Rockville, MD, USA: American Society of Plant Physiologists, 630–675. , .
- 2010. Incorporation and remobilization of 13C within the fine-root systems of individual Abies alba trees in a temperate coniferous stand. Tree Physiology 30: 1515–1527. , , , .
- 2012. Pulse-labelling trees to study carbon allocation dynamics: a review of methods, current knowledge and future prospects. Tree Physiology 32: 776–798. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Larches: deciduous conifers in an evergreen world. BioScience 40: 818–826. , .
- 2010. Short-term responses of ecosystem carbon fluxes to experimental soil warming at the Swiss alpine treeline. Biogeochemistry 97: 7–19. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. A test of the treeline carbon limitation hypothesis by in situ CO2 enrichment and defoliation. Ecology 86: 1288–1300. , , .
- 1997. Conifer carbohydrate physiology: updating classical views. In: , , , eds. Trees: contributions to modern tree physiology. Leiden, the Netherlands: Backhuys Publishers, 97–108. , , , , .
- 1992. Modeling photosynthesis of cotton grown in elevated CO2. Plant, Cell & Environment 15: 271–282. , , , .
- 2002. Atmospheric CO2 enrichment of alpine treeline conifers. New Phytologist 156: 363–375. , , , , , .
- 2003. The carbon charging of pines at the climatic treeline: a global comparison. Oecologia 135: 10–21. , .
- 2011. Global patterns of mobile carbon stores in trees at the high-elevation tree line. Global Ecology and Biogeography 21: 861–871. , .
- 2002. Altitudinal increase of mobile carbon pools in Pinus cembra suggests sink limitation of growth at the Swiss treeline. Oikos 98: 361–374. , , .
- 2003. Non-structural carbon compounds in temperate forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1067–1081. , , .
- 2008. High temporal resolution tracing of photosynthate carbon from the tree canopy to forest soil microorganisms. New Phytologist 177: 220–228. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Storage and mobilization of carbohydrates and lipids. In: , , , eds. Trees: contributions to modern tree physiology. Leiden, the Netherlands: Backhuys Publishers, 197–211. .
- IPCC. 2007. Climate Change 2007: synthesis report. Contribution of working groups I, II and III to the fourth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Geneva, Switzerland: IPCC.
- 2006. Seasonal course of translocation, storage and remobilization of 13C pulse-labeled photoassimilate in naturally growing Larix gmelinii saplings. New Phytologist 171: 793–804. , , .
- 1979. Frost hardiness in spruce. 1. Control of frost hardiness, carbohydrate-metabolism and protein-metabolism by photoperiod and temperature. Berichte der Deutschen Botanischen Gesellschaft 92: 225–241. , , .
- 2012. Allocation of carbon to fine root compounds and their residence times in a boreal forest depend on root size class and season. New Phytologist 194: 972–981. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Rapid mixing between old and new C pools in the canopy of mature forest trees. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 963–972. , , , .
- 1973. CO2 exchange of bark of deciduous species in winter. Photosynthetica 7: 320–324. .
- 1998. A re-assessment of high elevation treeline positions and their explanation. Oecologia 115: 445–459. .
- 2006. Plant CO2 responses: an issue of definition, time and resource supply. New Phytologist 172: 393–411. .
- 2005. Carbon flux and growth in mature deciduous forest trees exposed to elevated CO2. Science 309: 1360–1362. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. A world-wide study of high altitude treeline temperatures. Journal of Biogeography 31: 713–732. , .
- 1995. CO2 responsiveness of plants – a possible link to phloem loading. Plant, Cell & Environment 18: 595–600. , , .
- 1992. Carbohydrate sources and sinks in woody-plants. Botanical Review 58: 107–222. .
- 1991. Distribution of 14C-labeled photosynthate in loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) seedlings as affected by season and time after exposure. Tree Physiology 8: 259–271. , .
- 2000. Carbohydrates in trees. In: , , eds. Developments in crop science. Elsevier, 317–336. , , , , .
- 1993. Effects of temperature, pressure and water vapor on gas phase infrared absorption by CO2. In: Technical documents LI 820. Lincoln, NE, USA: LI-COR, Inc. URL://www.licor.com/env/pdf/photosynthesis/co2_abs.pdf. , , .
- 2006. 13C/12C isotope labelling to study leaf carbon respiration and allocation in twigs of field-grown beech trees. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 20: 219–226. , , , , , .
- 2011. Ecological lessons from free-air CO2 enrichment (FACE) experiments. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 42: 181–203. , .
- 1994. Hydroxyl radical scavenging properties of cyclitols. Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, Section B: Biological Sciences 102: 269–272. , , .
- The R Core Team. 2008. NLME: linear and nonlinear mixed effects models. 2.14.1. (Computing RFfS) Vienna, Austria: R Development Core Team. , , , ,
- R Development Core Team. 2008–2010. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. 2.14.1. (Computing RFfS) Vienna, Austria: R Development Core Team.
- 2006. Leaf carbohydrate controls over Arabidopsis growth and response to elevated CO2: an experimentally based model. New Phytologist 172: 500–513. , .
- 2009. Preparation of starch and soluble sugars of plant material for the analysis of carbon isotope composition: a comparison of methods. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 23: 2476–2488. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Evaluation of a liquid chromatography method for compound-specific δ13C analysis of plant carbohydrates in alkaline media. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 26: 2173–2185. , , , .
- 2009. Drought effects on allocation of recent carbon: from beech leaves to soil CO2 efflux. New Phytologist 184: 950–961. , , , , , , .
- 1989. Seasonal course of translocation and distribution of 14C-labelled photoassimilate in young trees of Larix decidua Mill. Trees-Structure and Function 3: 185–191. , .
- 1979 Physiological ecology of the alpine timberline: tree existence at high altitudes with special reference to the European alps. Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag. .
- 2001. Preparation of starch and other carbon fractions from higher plant leaves for stable carbon isotope analysis. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 15: 1136–1140. , , .
- 2000. Seasonal fluctuations of the levels of soluble carbohydrates in spruce needles exposed to elevated CO2 and nitrogen fertilization and glucose as a potential mediator of acclimation to elevated CO2. Journal of Plant Physiology 156: 746–750. , .
- 2010. Contribution of carbon fixed by Rubisco and PEPC to phloem export in the Crassulacean acid metabolism plant Kalanchoe daigremontiana. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 1375–1383. , , , .
- 1990. A calibrated measurement of the atomic-weight of carbon. Chinese Science Bulletin 35: 290–296. , , .