Experimental support of the stress-gradient hypothesis in herbivore–herbivore interactions
Version of Record online: 23 NOV 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 2, pages 405–408, January 2013
How to Cite
Dangles, O., Herrera, M. and Anthelme, F. (2013), Experimental support of the stress-gradient hypothesis in herbivore–herbivore interactions. New Phytologist, 197: 405–408. doi: 10.1111/nph.12080
- Issue online: 18 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 23 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 SEP 2012
- McKnight Foundation
- 2012. Unexpected mechanisms sustain the stress gradient hypothesis in a tropical alpine environment. Journal of Vegetation Science 23: 62–72. , , , .
- 2004. Measuring plant interactions: a new comparative index. Ecology 85: 2682–2686. , , .
- 2012. Impacts of climate change on the future of biodiversity. Ecology Letters 15: 365–377. , , , , .
- 1994. Positive interactions in communities. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 9: 191–193. , .
- 2006. Plant–plant interactions and environmental change. New Phytologist 171: 271–284. .
- 2008. Facilitation in plant communities: the past, the present and the future. Journal of Ecology 96: 18–34. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Inclusion of facilitation into ecological theory. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 18: 119–125. , , .
- 2011. Crossing gradients of consumer pressure and physical stress on shallow rocky reefs: a test of the stress-gradient hypothesis. Journal of Ecology 99: 335–344. , , , .
- 2007. Positive interactions and interdependence in plant communities. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer. .
- 2008. Temperature as a key driver of ecological sorting among invasive pest species in the tropical Andes. Ecological Applications 18: 1795–1809. , , , , .
- 2011. Predicting richness effects on ecosystem function in natural communities: insights from high elevation streams. Ecology 92: 733–743. , , , , , .
- 2009. Crop damage increases with pest species diversity: evidence from potato tuber moths in the tropical Andes. Journal of Applied Ecology 46: 1115–1121. , , , .
- 2007. Plant-mediated interactions in herbivorous insects: mechanisms, symmetry, and challenging the paradigms of competition past. In: Ohgushi T, Craig TP, Price PW, eds. Ecological communities: plant mediation in indirect interaction webs. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 19–50. , .
- 2012. Testing the stress-gradient hypothesis with aquatic detritivorous invertebrates: insights for Biodiversity-ecosystem functioning research. Journal of Animal Ecology 81: 1259–1267. , , , , , .
- 2010. Strong facilitation in mild environments: the stress gradient hypothesis revisited. Journal of Ecology 98: 1269–1275. , .
- 2010. Variations in resistance against Phthorimaea operculella in wild potato tubers. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 137: 269–279. , , , , .
- 2007. Interspecific interactions in phytophagous insects revisited: a quantitative assessment of competition theory. Ecology Letters 10: 977–994. , .
- 2012. Facilitation of tiger moths by outbreaking tussock moths that share the same host plants. Journal of Animal Ecology 81: 1095–1102. , , .
- 2007. Testing the facilitation-competition paradigm under the stress-gradient hypothesis: decoupling multiple stress factors. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B, Biological sciences 274: 2503–2508. , .
- 2005. Stress tolerance and competitive response ability determine the outcome of biotic interactions. Ecology 86: 1611–1618. , , .
- 2009. Refining the stress-gradient hypothesis for competition and facilitation in plant communities. Journal of Ecology 97: 199–205. , , , .
- 2010. What does the stress-gradient hypothesis predict? Resolving the discrepancies. Oikos 119: 1546–1552. , .
- 2007. Mécanismes d' interaction entre ravageurs invasifs tropicaux de la pomme de terre en Équateur. MSc Dissertation, University of Montpellier, France. .
- 2006. Do biotic interactions shape both sides of the humped-back model of species richness in plant communities? Ecology Letters 9: 767–773. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Whole-community facilitation regulates biodiversity on Patagonian rocky shores. PLoS ONE 6: e24502. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Shifts from competition to facilitation between a foundation tree and a pioneer shrub across spatial and temporal scales in a semiarid woodland. New Phytologist 173: 135–145. , , .