Root stress and nitrogen deposition: consequences and research priorities
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 3, pages 712–719, February 2013
How to Cite
Smithwick, E. A. H., Eissenstat, D. M., Lovett, G. M., Bowden, R. D., Rustad, L. E. and Driscoll, C. T. (2013), Root stress and nitrogen deposition: consequences and research priorities. New Phytologist, 197: 712–719. doi: 10.1111/nph.12081
- Issue online: 7 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 10 AUG 2012
- The Harold M. State Research Fellowship
- Shanbrom Research Fund
- Wells Foundation Student/Faculty Research Fund
- NSF. Grant Number: DEB 0948780
- USFS. Grant Number: DEB 1227828
- 1998. Nitrogen saturation in temperate forest ecosystems. BioScience 48: 921–934. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Responses of fine roots to experimental nitrogen addition in a tropical lower montane rain forest, Panama. Journal of Tropical Ecology 27: 73–81. , , .
- 2008. Separating the effects of partial submergence and soil oxygen demand on plant physiology and growth upon flooding. Ecology 89: 93–104. , , , , .
- 2009. Influence of environmental variability on root dynamics in northern forests. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 28: 179–197. , , .
- 1983. Functional equilibrium – sense or nonsense. Netherlands Journal of Agricultural Science 31: 335–348. .
- 2012. Chronic N deposition alters root respiration-tissue N relationship in northern hardwood forests. Global Change Biology 18: 258–266. , , , , .
- 2002. Root respiration in North American forests: effects of nitrogen concentration and temperature across biomes. Oecologia 131: 559–568. , , , , .
- 1999. Physiological responses to heavy metals in higher plants; defence against oxidative stress. Journal of Biosciences 54: 730–734. , , .
- 2007. Spatial and temporal patterns of root distribution in developing stands of four woody crop species grown with drip irrigation and fertilization. Plant and Soil 299: 195–213. .
- 1995. Use of calcium and aluminum ratios as indicators of stress in forest ecosystems. Journal of Environmental Quality 24: 209–226. , .
- 2000. Dynamic simulation of tree–grass interactions for global change studies. Ecological Applications 10: 449–469. , , , , , .
- 2001. Signal interactions between nitric oxide and reactive oxygen intermediates in the plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 13454–13459. , , , .
- 2010. Simulated nitrogen deposition causes a decline of intra- and extraradical abundance of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and changes in microbial community structure in northern hardwood forests. Ecosystems 13: 683–695. , , , .
- 1997. The ecology of root lifespan. Advances in Ecological Research 27: 1–60. , .
- 1982. Stomatal conductance and photosynthesis. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 33: 317–345. , .
- 2000. The control of carbon acquisition by roots. New Phytologist 147: 43–53. , .
- 2012. Environmental stress and role of arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , .
- 2008. Carbon cycling along a gradient of beech bark disease impact in the Catskill Mountains, New York. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 38: 1267–1274. , , , .
- 1993. Assessing the role of fine roots in carbon and nutrient cycling. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 8: 174. , , .
- 2011. Recovery of ectomycorrhiza after ‘nitrogen saturation’ of a conifer forest. New Phytologist 189: 515–525. , , , , , , .
- 1991. The influence of plant nutrition on biomass allocation. Ecological Applications 1: 168–174. , .
- 2010. Digging deeper: fine-root responses to rising atmospheric CO2 concentration in forested ecosystems. New Phytologist 186: 346–357. .
- 2004. N deposition, N transformation and N leaching in acid forest soils. Biogeochemistry 69: 241–262. , , , , , .
- 2005. The physiology, genetics and molecular biology of plant aluminum resistance and toxicity. Plant and Soil 274: 175–195. , , .
- 1991. Effect of rate of nitrogen fertilizer on the aboveground and belowground biomass of irrigated bromegrass in southwest Saskatchewan. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 71: 1057–1067. .
- 2001. Ectomycorrhizal fungal aboveground community change over an atmospheric nitrogen deposition gradient. Ecological Applications 11: 397–410. , , .
- 2011. A new conceptual model of nitrogen saturation based on experimental nitrogen addition to an oak forest. Ecosystems 14: 615–631. , .
- 2011. Very fine roots respond to soil depth: biomass allocation, morphology, and physiology in a broad-leaved temperate forest. Ecological Research 26: 95–104. , , , , , , , .
- 2012. Plant root distributions and nitrogen uptake predicted by a hypothesis of optimal root foraging. Ecology and Evolution 2: 1235–1250. , , , , , , .
- 2000. The potential effects of nitrogen deposition on fine-root production in forest ecosystems. New Phytologist 147: 131–139. .
- 1998. Global change and root function. Global Change Biology 4: 759–772. , , , , , .
- 2011. Assessment of nitrogen deposition effects and empirical critical loads of nitrogen for ecoregions of the United States. Newtown Square, PA, USA: US Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. , , .
- 2000. The role of biomass allocation in the growth response of plants to different levels of light, CO2, nutrients and water: a quantitative review. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 27: 595–607. , .
- 2002. Root–shoot relations: optimality in acclimation and adaptation or the Emperor's New Clothes? In: Waisel Y, Eshel A, Kafkafi U, eds. Hidden half. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 205–220. .
- 2007. Does low soil base saturation affect fine root properties of European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.)? Plant and Soil 298: 69–79. , , , .
- 2008. Rock-eating mycorrhizas: their role in plant nutrition and biogeochemical cycles. Plant and Soil 303: 35–47. , , , , , .
- 1993. The effect of soil acidification on the growth of trees, grass and herbs as expressed by the (Ca + Mg + K)/Al ratio. Reports in Ecology and Environmental Engineering. Lund, Sweden: Department of Chemical Engineering, Lund University. , .
- 2006. Application of BIOME-BGC model to managed forests 1. Sensitivity analysis. Forest Ecology and Management 237: 267–279. , .
- 2010. Increased tree carbon storage in response to nitrogen deposition in the US. Nature Geoscience 3: 13–17. , , , .
- 2004. A meta-analysis of mycorrhizal responses to nitrogen, phosphorus, and atmospheric CO2 in field studies. New Phytologist 164: 347–355. .
- USEPA. 2009. Risk and exposure assessment for review of secondary national ambient air quality standards for oxides of nitrogen and oxides or sulfur. Research Triangle Park, NC, USA: Office of Air Quality Planning and Standards, Health and Environmental Impacts Division. EPA-452/R-09-008a.
- 2005. Morphology, biomass and nutrient status of fine roots of Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris) as influenced by seasonal fluctuations in soil moisture and soil solution chemistry. Plant and Soil 270: 233–247. , , , .
- 2007. Effects of nitrogen saturation on tree growth and death in a mixed-oak forest. Forest Ecology and Management 243: 210–218. , , , .
- 2011. Response of the fine root system in a Norway spruce stand to 13 years of reduced atmospheric nitrogen and acidity input. Plant and Soil 339: 435–445. , , .
- 2006. Cross talk between reactive nitrogen and oxygen species during the hypersensitive disease resistance response. Plant Physiology 141: 379–383. , , , .