Respiratory flexibility and efficiency are affected by simulated global change in Arctic plants
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 4, pages 1161–1172, March 2013
How to Cite
Kornfeld, A., Heskel, M., Atkin, O. K., Gough, L., Griffin, K. L., Horton, T. W. and Turnbull, M. H. (2013), Respiratory flexibility and efficiency are affected by simulated global change in Arctic plants. New Phytologist, 197: 1161–1172. doi: 10.1111/nph.12083
- Issue online: 4 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 1 SEP 2012
- Marsden Fund of the Royal Society of New Zealand
- US National Science Foundation International Polar Year. Grant Number: IPY #07-32664
- 2000. The mineral nutrition of wild plants revisited: a re-evaluation of processes and patterns. In: Fitter AH, Raffaelli DG, eds. Advances in ecological research, vol 30. San Diego, CA, USA: Elsevier Academic Press Inc, 1–67. , .
- 2001. Fractionation of oxygen isotopes by root respiration: implications for the isotopic composition of atmospheric O2. Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 65: 1695–1701. , .
- 2008. Dynamic changes in the mitochondrial electron transport chain underpinning cold acclimation of leaf respiration. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 1156–1169. , , , , , , , .
- 2005a. Response of plant respiration to changes in temperature: mechanisms and consequences of variations in Q10 values and acclimation. In: Lambers H, Ribas-Carbo M, eds. Plant respiration: from cell to ecosystem. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 95–135. , , .
- 2005b. The hot and the cold: unravelling the variable response of plant respiration to temperature. Functional Plant Biology 32: 87–105. , , , .
- 1983. Effect of photosynthesis and carbohydrate status on respiratory rates and the involvement of the alternative pathway in leaf respiration. Plant Physiology 72: 598–603. , , .
- 2005. Inter-annual variability of NDVI in response to long-term warming and fertilization in wet sedge and tussock tundra. Oecologia 143: 588–597. , , , .
- 2001. Developmental plasticity allows Betula nana to dominate tundra subjected to an altered environment. Ecology 82: 18–32. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Multiple comparisons using R. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC Press. , , .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference : a practical information-theoretic approach. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , .
- 1996. Physiological and growth responses of Arctic plants to a field experiment simulating climatic change. Ecology 77: 822–840. , .
- 1995. Responses of Arctic tundra to experimental and observed changes in climate. Ecology 76: 694–711. , , , , .
- 2007. The R book. Chichester, UK; Hoboken, NJ, USA: Wiley. .
- 2011. Below-ground carbon transfer among Betula nana may increase with warming in Arctic tundra. New Phytologist 192: 689–698. , .
- 1989. Monoclonal-antibodies to the alternative oxidase of higher-plant mitochondria. Plant Physiology 89: 1311–1317. , , .
- 2005. The alternative oxidase of plant mitochondria is involved in the acclimation of shoot growth at low temperature. A study of Arabidopsis AOX1a transgenic plants. Plant Physiology 139: 1795–1805. , , .
- 2012. Light-responsive metabolite and transcript levels are maintained following a dark-adaptation period in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 195: 136–148. , , , , , .
- 2011. In vivo cytochrome and alternative pathway respiration in leaves of Arabidopsis thaliana plants with altered alternative oxidase under different light conditions. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 1373–1383. , , , , , .
- 2009. Changes of alternative oxidase activity, capacity and protein content in leaves of Cucumis sativus wild-type and MSC16 mutant grown under different light intensities. Physiologia Plantarum 137: 419–426. , , , , , .
- 2007. Contribution of the cytochrome and alternative pathways to growth respiration and maintenance respiration in Arabidopsis thaliana. Physiologia Plantarum 129: 143–151. , , , , .
- 2010. The central regulation of plant physiology by adenylates. Trends in Plant Science 15: 98–105. , , .
- 2003. Plant respiration in productivity models: conceptualisation, representation and issues for global terrestrial carbon-cycle research. Functional Plant Biology 30: 171–186. .
- 2007. Changes in respiratory mitochondrial machinery and cytochrome and alternative pathway activities in response to energy demand underlie the acclimation of respiration to elevated CO2 in the invasive Opuntia ficus-indica. Plant Physiology 145: 49–61. , , , .
- 2009. Plastic and adaptive responses of plant respiration to changes in atmospheric CO2 concentration. Physiologia Plantarum 137: 473–484. , , , , .
- 2001. Metabolic regulation of leaf respiration and alternative pathway activity in response to phosphate supply. Plant, Cell & Environment 24: 205–215. , , , .
- 1991. Northern peatlands - role in the carbon-cycle and probable responses to climatic warming. Ecological Applications 1: 182–195. .
- 2012. Above- and belowground responses of arctic tundra ecosystems to altered soil nutrients and mammalian herbivory. Ecology 93: 1683–1694. , , , , .
- 2001. Plant growth in elevated CO2 alters mitochondrial number and chloroplast fine structure. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 2473–2478. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Differential fractionation of oxygen isotopes by cyanide-resistant and cyanide-sensitive respiration in plants. Planta 177: 483–491. , , , .
- 1975. A note on the ratio of two normally distributed variables. Management Science Series a-Theory 21: 1338–1341. , , .
- 2010. Analysis of variance with unbalanced data: an update for ecology & evolution. Journal of Animal Ecology 79: 308–316. , , .
- 2006. How do plants respond to nutrient shortage by biomass allocation? Trends in Plant Science 11: 610–617. , , , .
- 2002. A synthesis: the role of nutrients as constraints on carbon balances in boreal and arctic regions. Plant and Soil 242: 163–170. , , .
- 2011. Is leaf dry matter content a better predictor of soil fertility than specific leaf area? Annals of Botany 108: 1337–1345. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- ISO/IEC. 1995. Evaluation of measurement data — Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement. Geneva, Switzerland: International Organization for Standardization.
- 2001. Regulation of alternative oxidase activity during phosphate deficiency in bean roots (Phaseolus vulgaris). Physiologia Plantarum 113: 185–192. , , .
- 2012a. A field-compatible method for measuring alternative respiratory pathway activities in vivo using stable O2 isotopes. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 1518–1532. , , , , , , , .
- 2012b. Correcting for nonlinearity effects of continuous flow isotope ratio mass spectrometry across a wide dynamic range. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 26: 460–468. , , , .
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during assembly of head of bacteriophage-T4. Nature 227: 680–685. .
- 2009. Genomic basis for stimulated respiration by plants growing under elevated carbon dioxide. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 3597–3602. , , , , , .
- 1993. Subcellular distribution of inorganic-phosphate, and levels of nucleoside triphosphate, in mature maize roots at low external phosphate concentrations - measurements with P-31-NMR. Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 587–598. , .
- 2003. The alternative oxidase: in vivo regulation and function. Plant Biology 5: 2–15. , .
- 2011. In the heat of the night - alternative pathway respiration drives thermogenesis in Philodendron bipinnatifidum. New Phytologist 189: 1013–1026. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Activities of the cyanide-resistant respiratory pathway in leaves of sun and shade species. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 27–35. , , , , .
- 2006. Responses of spinach leaf mitochondria to low N availability. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 710–719. , .
- 2007. Leaf age-related changes in respiratory pathways are dependent on complex I activity in Nicotiana sylvestris. Physiologia Plantarum 129: 152–162. , , , .
- R Development Core Team 2011. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- 2008. Scaling of respiration to nitrogen in leaves, stems and roots of higher land plants. Ecology Letters 11: 793–801. , , , , , .
- 2005. The application of the oxygen-isotope technique to assess respiratory pathway partitioning. In: Lambers H, Ribas-Carbo M, eds. Plant respiration: from cell to ecosystem. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer, 31–42. , , .
- 1995. Mitochondria increase 3-fold and mitochondrial proteins and lipid change dramatically in postmeristematic cells in young wheat leaves grown in elevated CO2. Plant Physiology 108: 469–474. , , , , , .
- 1995. A remark on algorithm AS-181 - The W-test for normality. Applied Statistics-Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C 44: 547–551. .
- 2011. Leaf respiration and alternative oxidase in field-grown alpine grasses respond to natural changes in temperature and light. New Phytologist 189: 1027–1039. , , , , , , , .
- 1980. Response to fertilization by various plant-growth forms in an Alaskan tundra - nutrient accumulation and growth. Ecology 61: 662–675. , .
- 1995. Long-term responses to factorial NPK fertilizer treatment by Alaskan wet and moist tundra sedge species. Ecography 18: 259–275. , .
- 2005. The role of alternative oxidase in modulating carbon use efficiency and growth during macronutrient stress in tobacco cells. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 1499–1515. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Use of nitrogen to phosphorus ratios in plant tissue as an indicator of nutrient limitation and nitrogen saturation. Journal of Applied Ecology 40: 523–534. , .
- 1995. Effect of seasonal water availability on phenology and the annual shoot carbohydrate cycle of tropical forest shrubs. Functional Ecology 9: 518–527. , .
- 2005. Respiration characteristics in temperate rainforest tree species differ along a long-term soil-development chronosequence. Oecologia 143: 271–279. , , , , , .
- 2002. Estimating carbon accumulation rates of undrained mires in Finland - application to boreal and subarctic regions. Holocene 12: 69–80. , , , .
- 2002. Modern applied statistics with S. New York, NY, USA: Springer. , .
- 2004. Chloroplast numbers, mitochondrion numbers and carbon assimilation physiology of Nicotiana sylvestris as affected by CO2 concentration. Environmental and Experimental Botany 51: 21–31. , , .
- 2007. Up-regulation of mitochondrial alternative oxidase concomitant with chloroplast over-reduction by excess light. Plant and Cell Physiology 48: 606–614. , , .
- 2011. Mitochondrial alternative oxidase pathway protects plants against photoinhibition by alleviating inhibition of the repair of photodamaged PSII through preventing formation of reactive oxygen species in Rumex K-1 leaves. Physiologia Plantarum 143: 396–407. , , , , , , .