Source–sink dynamics and proteomic reprogramming under elevated night temperature and their impact on rice yield and grain quality
Version of Record online: 18 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 3, pages 825–837, February 2013
How to Cite
Shi, W., Muthurajan, R., Rahman, H., Selvam, J., Peng, S., Zou, Y. and Jagadish, K. S. V. (2013), Source–sink dynamics and proteomic reprogramming under elevated night temperature and their impact on rice yield and grain quality. New Phytologist, 197: 825–837. doi: 10.1111/nph.12088
- Issue online: 7 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Received: 4 SEP 2012
- Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany
- USAIDAUTHOR: USAID-BMGF in full please.-BMGF (Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia)
Vol. 203, Issue 2, 704, Version of Record online: 13 MAY 2014
- 2004. Tomato heat stress transcription factor HsfB1 represents a novel type of general transcription coactivator with a histone-like motif interacting with the plant CREB binding protein ortholog HAC1. Plant Cell 16: 1521–1535. , , , , , , .
- 2008. The parameters of grain filling and yield components in common wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and durum wheat (Triticum turgidum L. var. durum). Central European Journal of Biology 3: 75–82. , , .
- 1982. Nitrogen-total. In: Page AL, Miller RH, Keeney DR, eds. Methods of soil analysis, Part 2 chemical and microbiological properties. Madison, WI, USA: American Society of Agronomy Press, 595–624. , .
- 2009. Interactions of elevated [CO2] and night temperature on rice growth and yield. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 51–58. , , , .
- 2007. Regional climate projections. In: Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL, eds, Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK & New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press, 847–940. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Explaining rice milling quality variation using historical weather data analysis. Cereal Chemistry 83: 447–450. , , , .
- 2005. A proteomic analysis of cold stress responses in rice seedlings. Proteomics 5: 3162–3172. , , , , , .
- 2009. Evaluation of grain filling rate and duration in bread and durum wheat, under heat stress after anthesis. Journal of Agronomy and Crop Science 195: 137–147. , .
- 1980. Kernel number per spike in wheat: responses to pre-anthesis shading. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 7: 169–180. , .
- 2011. Pre-anthesis non-structural carbohydrate reserve in the stem enhances the sink strength of inferior spikelets during grain filling of rice. Field Crops Research 123: 170–182. , , , , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis immunophilins ROF1 (AtFKBP62) and ROF2 (AtFKBP65) exhibit tissue specificity, are heat-stress induced, and bind HSP90. Plant Molecular Biology 63: 237–255. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Gcn5- and Elp3-induced histone H3 acetylation regulates hsp70 gene transcription in yeast. Biochemical Journal 409: 779–788. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Comparison of grain filling characteristics between two super rice cultivars with remarkable difference in grain weight. World Applied Sciences Journal 6: 674–679. , .
- 2004. Effect of early cold stress on the maturation of rice anthers. Proteomics 4: 1873–1882. , , , .
- IPCC. 2007. The Core Writing Team, Pachauri RK, Reisinger A, eds. Climate change 2007: synthesis report. Geneva, Switzerland: IPCC.
- 2009. Formation of grain chalkiness and changes in water distribution in developing rice caryopses grown under high-temperature stress. Journal of Cereal Science 50: 166–174. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Genetic analysis of heat tolerance at anthesis in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Crop Science 50: 1633–1641. , , , , , .
- 2011. Spikelet proteomic response to combined water deficit and heat stress in rice (Oryza sativa cv. N22). Rice 4: 1–11. , , , , , , .
- 1971. A simplified assay for milled-rice amylase. Cereal Science Today 16: 334–360. .
- 2010. Increased grain yield and biomass allocation in rice under cool night temperature. Soil Science and Plant Nutrition 56: 412–417. , .
- 2003. Proteome analysis of male gametophyte development in rice anthers. Proteomics 3: 738–751. , , , .
- 2004. High temperatures during the grain-filling period do not reduce the potential grain dry matter increase of rice. Agronomy Journal 96: 406–414. , .
- 2010. Effects of temperature, solar radiation, and vapor-pressure deficit on flower opening time in rice. Plant Production Science 13: 21–28. , , , .
- 1999. The wheat peptidyl prolyl cis-trans-isomerase FKBP77 is heat induced and developmentally regulated. Plant Physiology 119: 693–703. , , , , .
- 2009. Higher crop performance of rice hybrids than of elite inbreds in the tropics: 2. Does sink regulation, rather than sink size, play a major role? Field Crops Research 112: 238–244. , .
- 2003. Calmodulin is involved in heat shock signal transduction in wheat. Plant Physiology 132: 1186–1195. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Reversible and irreversible drought-induced changes in the anther proteome of rice (Oryza sativa L.) genotypes IR64 and Moroberekan. Molecular Plant 4: 59–69. , .
- 2009a. High nighttime temperatures affect rice productivity through altered pollen germination and spikelet fertility. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 149: 999–1008. , .
- 2009b. Impact of high nighttime temperature on respiration, membrane stability, antioxidant capacity and yield of rice plants. Crop Science 49: 313–322. , .
- 2010. Effects of high night temperature and spikelet position on yield-related parameters of rice (Oryza sativa L.) plants. European Journal of Agronomy 33: 117–123. , .
- 2005. Grain growth and endosperm cell size under high night temperatures in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Annals of Botany 95: 695–701. , , .
- 2010. Local climate affects growth, yield and grain quality of aromatic and non-aromatic rice in northwestern India. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 138: 274–281. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Effects of dry matter production, translocation of nonstructural carbohydrates and nitrogen application on grain filling in rice cultivar Takanari, a cultivar bearing a large number of spikelets. Plant Production Science 4: 173–183. , , , .
- 2010. Drying procedures affect non-structural carbohydrates and other nutritive value attributes in forage samples. Animal Feed Science and Technology 157: 139–150. , , , , , .
- 2010. The importance of maintenance breeding: a case study of the first miracle rice variety-IR8. Field Crops Research 119: 342–347. , , , , , .
- 2004. Rice yields decline with higher night temperature from global warming. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 9971–9975. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Impact of night time temperature on physiology and growth of spring wheat. Crop Science 48: 2372–2380. , , , , .
- 2002. Proteomic analysis of rice leaves during drought stress and recovery. Proteomics 2: 1131–1145. , , , , .
- 2009. Rice sHSP genes: genomic organization and expression profiling under stress and development. BMC Genomics 10: 393. , , .
- 2008. Effects of assimilate supply and high temperature during grain-filling period on the occurrence of various types of chalky kernels in rice plants (Oryza sativa L.). Plant Production Science 11: 203–210. , .
- 2005. Maximum and minimum temperature trends for the globe: an update through 2004. Geophysical Research Letters 32: L23822. , , .
- 2004. Role of plant heat-shock proteins and molecular chaperones in abiotic stress responses. Trends in Plant Science 9: 244–252. , , , .
- 2005. Proteomic analysis of salt stress-responsive proteins in rice root. Proteomics 5: 235–244. , , , .
- 2006. Grain-filling of cereals under soil drying. New Phytologist 169: 223–236. , .
- 2003. Calcium/calmodulin-mediated signal network in plants. Trends in Plant Science 8: 505–512. , .
- 2008. Grain filling duration, a crucial determinant of genotypic variation of grain yield in field-grown tropical irrigated rice. Field Crops Research 105: 221–227. , , , , .
- 2012. Mapping QTL for heat tolerance at flowering stage in rice using SNP markers. Plant Breeding 131: 33–41. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1976. Laboratory manual for physical studies of rice. Manila, Philippines: International Rice Research Institute Press. , , , .
- 2012. Effects of high night temperature on yield and agronomic traits of irrigated rice under field chamber system conditions. Australian Journal of Crop Science, in press. , , , , , , .