Forest mortality due to drought: latest insights, evidence and unresolved questions on physiological pathways and consequences of tree death
Version of Record online: 18 DEC 2012
© 2013 The Authors New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 2, pages 372–374, January 2013
How to Cite
Zeppel, M. J. B., Anderegg, W. R. L. and Adams, H. D. (2013), Forest mortality due to drought: latest insights, evidence and unresolved questions on physiological pathways and consequences of tree death. New Phytologist, 197: 372–374. doi: 10.1111/nph.12090
- Issue online: 18 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 DEC 2012
- 2010. Climate-induced tree mortality: earth system consequences. EOS 91: 153–154. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. A global overview of drought and heat-induced tree mortality reveals emerging climate change risks for forests. Forest Ecology and Management 259: 660–684. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2012a. Consequences of forest die-off triggered by drought and heat stress. Nature Climate Change doi: 10.1038/NCLIMATE1635. , , .
- 2012b. Linking definitions, mechanisms, and modeling of drought-induced tree death. Trends in Plant Science 17: 693–700. , , .
- 2008. Forests and climate change: forcings, feedbacks, and the climate benefits of forests. Science 320: 1444–1449. .
- 2009. Linking phloem function to structure: analysis with a coupled xylem–phloem transport model. Journal of Theoretical Biology 259: 325–337. , , .
- 2006. Evidence for intensification of the global water cycle: review and synthesis. Journal of Hydrology 319: 83–95. .
- 2011. Drought-induced mortality of a foundation species (Juniperus monosperma) promotes positive afterlife effects in understory vegetation. Plant Ecology 212: 733–741. , , , , , .
- 1991. Tree disease concepts. Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA: Prentice-Hall. .
- 2008. Mechanisms of plant survival and mortality during drought: why do some plants survive while others succumb to drought? New Phytologist 178: 719–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The interdependence of mechanisms underlying climate-driven vegetation mortality. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 26: 523–532. , , , , , .
- 2011. Tree responses to drought. Tree Physiology 31: 237–239. .
- 2010. Physiological mechanisms of drought-induced tree mortality are far from being resolved. The New Phytologist 186: 274–281. , , .
- 2012. Carbon dynamics in trees: feast or famine? Tree Physiology 32: 764–765. , , .
- 2012. Diverse functional responses to drought in a Mediterranean-type shrubland in South Africa. New Phytologist 195: 396–407. , , , , , .
- 2012. Nocturnal stomatal conductance responses to rising [CO2] temperature and drought. New Phytologist 193: 929–938. , , , , , , .