These authors contributed equally to this work.
SlNAC1, a stress-related transcription factor, is fine-tuned on both the transcriptional and the post-translational level
Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 4, pages 1214–1224, March 2013
How to Cite
Huang, W., Miao, M., Kud, J., Niu, X., Ouyang, B., Zhang, J., Ye, Z., Kuhl, J. C., Liu, Y. and Xiao, F. (2013), SlNAC1, a stress-related transcription factor, is fine-tuned on both the transcriptional and the post-translational level. New Phytologist, 197: 1214–1224. doi: 10.1111/nph.12096
- Issue online: 4 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 21 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 3 OCT 2012
- the National Science Fund Distinguished Young Scholars. Grant Number: No. 2010-6511-42056
- USDA. Grant Numbers: No. 2010-6511-42056, No. 30825030
- 2006. Host-mediated phosphorylation of type III effector AvrPto promotes Pseudomonas virulence and avirulence in tomato. Plant Cell 18: 502–514. , , , , .
- 2009. A renaissance of elicitors: perception of microbe-associated molecular patterns and danger signals by pattern-recognition receptors. Annual Review of Plant Biology 60: 379–406. , .
- 2009. Innate immunity in plants: an arms race between pattern recognition receptors in plants and effectors in microbial pathogens. Science 324: 742–744. , .
- 2002. Transcriptional profiling reveals novel interactions between wounding, pathogen, abiotic stress, and hormonal responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 129: 661–677. , , , , , .
- 2001. Differential induction of two potato genes, Stprx2 and StNAC, in response to infection by Phytophthora infestans and to wounding. Plant Molecular Biology 46: 521–529. , .
- 1998. Characterization of the HrpC and HrpRS operons of Pseudomonas syringae pathovars syringae, tomato, and glycinea and analysis of the ability of hrpF, hrpG, hrcC, hrpT, and hrpV mutants to elicit the hypersensitive response and disease in plants. Journal of Bacteriology 180: 4523–4531. , , , , .
- 2009. Crystal structure of the complex between Pseudomonas effector AvrPtoB and the tomato Pto kinase reveals both a shared and a unique interface compared with AvrPto-Pto. Plant Cell 21: 1846–1859. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Two MAPK cascades, NPR1, and TGA transcription factors play a role in Pto-mediated disease resistance in tomato. Plant Journal 36: 905–917. , , , , .
- 2006. Crosstalk between abiotic and biotic stress responses: a current view from the points of convergence in the stress signaling networks. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 9: 436–442. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Rice cDNA microarray-based gene expression profiling of the response to flagellin perception in cultured rice cells. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 17: 986–998. , , , , , .
- 2003. Interactions between plant RING-H2 and plant-specific NAC (NAM/ATAF1/2/CUC2) proteins: RING-H2 molecular specificity and cellular localization. Biochemical Journal 371: 97–108. , , , , .
- 2011. Soybean NAC transcription factors promote abiotic stress tolerance and lateral root formation in transgenic plants. Plant Journal 68: 302–313. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Specific bacterial suppressors of MAMP signaling upstream of MAPKKK in Arabidopsis innate immunity. Cell 125: 563–575. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Overexpressing a NAM, ATAF, and CUC (NAC) transcription factor enhances drought resistance and salt tolerance in rice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 12987–12992. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Root-specific expression of OsNAC10 improves drought tolerance and grain yield in rice under field drought conditions. Plant Physiology 153: 185–197. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. The transcription factor OsNAC4 is a key positive regulator of plant hypersensitive cell death. EMBO Journal 28: 926–936. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Interplay of the Arabidopsis nonhost resistance gene NHO1 with bacterial virulence. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 3519–3524. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. MicroRNA regulation of the CUC genes is required for boundary size control in Arabidopsis meristems. Development 131: 4311–4322. , , , .
- 2005. Flagellin induces innate immunity in nonhost interactions that is suppressed by Pseudomonas syringae effectors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 12990–12995. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Virus-induced gene silencing in tomato. Plant Journal 31: 777–786. , , .
- 2011. Overexpression of a novel chrysanthemum NAC transcription factor gene enhances salt tolerance in tobacco. Biotechnology Letters 33: 2073–2082. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Comprehensive transcript profiling of Pto- and Prf-mediated host defense responses to infection by Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato. Plant Journal 32: 299–315. , , , , , .
- 2011. NAC transcription factors in plant abiotic stress responses. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1819: 97–103. , , , , .
- 2007. Functional analysis of a NAC-type transcription factor OsNAC6 involved in abiotic and biotic stress-responsive gene expression in rice. Plant Journal 51: 617–630. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Methods to study PAMP-triggered immunity using tomato and Nicotiana benthamiana. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 23: 991–999. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Genome-wide analysis of NAC transcription factor family in rice. Gene 465: 30–44. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Effector-triggered immunity mediated by the Pto kinase. Trends in Plant Science 16: 132–140. , .
- 2005. NAC transcription factors: structurally distinct, functionally diverse. Trends in Plant Science 10: 79–87. , , , .
- 2007. Identification of early salt stress response genes in tomato root by suppression subtractive hybridization and microarray analysis. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 507–520. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Molecular basis of Pto-mediated resistance to bacterial speck disease in tomato. Annual Review of Phytopathology 41: 215–243. , .
- 2002. Relative expression software tool (REST) for group-wise comparison and statistical analysis of relative expression results in real-time PCR. Nucleic Acids Research 30: e36. , , .
- 2008. Diversity of degradation signals in the ubiquitin-proteasome system. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 9: 679–690. , .
- 1996. Tomato Prf is a member of the leucine-rich repeat class of plant disease resistance genes and lies embedded within the Pto kinase gene cluster. Cell 86: 123–133. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. The ubiquitin-proteasome system regulates plant hormone signaling. Plant Journal 61: 1029–1040. , .
- 2009. Targeting proteins for degradation. Nature Chemical Biology 5: 815–822. , , .
- 2005. A NAC domain protein interacts with tomato leaf curl virus replication accessory protein and enhances viral replication. Plant Cell 17: 311–325. , , , , , .
- 2007. Degrons at the C-terminus of the pathogenic but not the nonpathogenic hantavirus G1 tail direct proteasomal degradation. Journal of Virology 81: 4323–4330. , , .
- 1996. The no apical meristem gene of Petunia is required for pattern formation in embryos and flowers and is expressed at meristem and primordia boundaries. Cell 85: 159–170. , , , , .
- 2007. Ubiquitin ligases mediate growth and development by promoting protein death. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 624–632. , .
- 2010. The abiotic stress-responsive NAC-type transcription factor OsNAC5 regulates stress-inducible genes and stress tolerance in rice. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 284: 173–183. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. The Arabidopsis ATAF1, a NAC transcription factor, is a negative regulator of defense responses against necrotrophic fungal and bacterial pathogens. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 22: 1227–1238. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. A Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato DC3000 mutant lacking the type III effector HopQ1-1 is able to cause disease in the model plant Nicotiana benthamiana. Plant Journal 51: 32–46. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Dual function of Arabidopsis ATAF1 in abiotic and biotic stress responses. Cell Research 19: 1279–1290. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Characterization of a novel wheat NAC transcription factor gene involved in defense response against stripe rust pathogen infection and abiotic stresses. Molecular Biology Reports 37: 3703–3712. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Arabidopsis NAC1 transduces auxin signal downstream of TIR1 to promote lateral root development. Genes & Development 14: 3024–3036. , , , .
- 2002. SINAT5 promotes ubiquitin-related degradation of NAC1 to attenuate auxin signals. Nature 419: 167–170. , , , , , .
- 2011. Overexpression of TaNAC69 leads to enhanced transcript levels of stress up-regulated genes and dehydration tolerance in bread wheat. Molecular Plant 4: 697–712. , , , , , .
- 2006. Transcriptional regulatory networks in cellular responses and tolerance to dehydration and cold stresses. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 781–803. , .
- 2010. The NAC transcription factor RIM1 of rice is a new regulator of jasmonate signaling. Plant Journal 61: 804–815. , , , , , .
- 2006. Ubiquitination-mediated protein degradation and modification: an emerging theme in plant–microbe interactions. Cell Research 16: 413–426. , , , .
- 2009. Overexpression of a NAC transcription factor enhances rice drought and salt tolerance. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 379: 985–989. , , , .
- 2012. Phylogenetic analyses unravel the evolutionary history of NAC proteins in plants. Evolution 66: 1833–1848. , , , .