Jasmonate and ethylene signaling mediate whitefly-induced interference with indirect plant defense in Arabidopsis thaliana
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 197, Issue 4, pages 1291–1299, March 2013
How to Cite
Zhang, P.-J., Broekgaarden, C., Zheng, S.-J., Snoeren, T. A. L., van Loon, J. J. A., Gols, R. and Dicke, M. (2013), Jasmonate and ethylene signaling mediate whitefly-induced interference with indirect plant defense in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist, 197: 1291–1299. doi: 10.1111/nph.12106
- Issue published online: 4 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 18 SEP 2012
- Earth and Life Sciences Foundation. Grant Number: 865.03.002
- Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research
- Zhejiang Provincial Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: R3100692
- 2004. Jasmonic acid is a key regulator of spider mite-induced volatile terpenoid and methyl salicylate emission in tomato. Plant Physiology 135: 2025–2037. , , , , .
- 1998. Uncoupling PR Gene expression from NPR1 and bacterial resistance: characterization of the dominant Arabidopsis cpr6-1 mutant. The Plant Cell 10: 557–569. , , , .
- 2004. Identification of volatiles that are used in discrimination between plants infested with prey or nonprey herbivores by a predatory mite. Journal Chemical Ecology 30: 2215–2230. , , .
- 2005. Signal signature and transcriptome changes of Arabidopsis during pathogen and insect attack. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 18: 923–927. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Herbivore-induced resistance against microbial pathogens in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 142: 352–363. , , , , , , .
- 1994. A central role of salicylic acid in plant disease resistance. Science 266: 1247–1250. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Behavioural and community ecology of plants that cry for help. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 654–665. .
- 1990. Isolation and identification of volatile kairomone that affects acarine predator-prey interactions – involvement of host plant in its production. Journal of Chemical Ecology 16: 381–396. , , , , , .
- 2009. Chemical complexity of volatiles from plants induced by multiple attack. Nature Chemical Biology 5: 317–324. , , .
- 2003. Inducible indirect defence of plants: from mechanisms to ecological functions. Basic & Applied Ecology 4: 27–42. , , .
- 2008. Comparative transcriptome analysis of Arabidopsis thaliana infested by diamond back moth (Plutella xylostella) larvae reveals signatures of stress response, secondary metabolism, and signaling. BMC Genomics 9: 154. , , , , , .
- 2006. Multi- and megavariate data analysis. Part 1: basic principles and applications. Umeå, Sweden: Umetrics AB. , , , , .
- 1990. Exploiting the triple response of Arabidopsis to identify ethylene-related mutants. The Plant Cell 2: 513–523. , .
- 2009. Impacts of plant symbiotic fungi on insect herbivores: mutualism in a multitrophic context. Annual Review of Entomology 54: 323–342. , .
- 2004. Microarray analysis of salicylic acid and jasmonic acid-signalling in responses of Nicotiana attenuata to attack by insects from multiple feeding guilds. Plant, Cell & Environment 27: 1362–1373. , .
- 2001. Exogenous ACC enhances volatiles production mediated by jasmonic acid in lima bean leaves. FEBS Letters 509: 332–336. , , , , , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis transcriptome changes in response to phloem-feeding silverleaf whitefly nymphs. Similarities and distinctions in responses to aphids. Plant Physiology 143: 849–865. , , , .
- 2002. Plant responses to insect herbivory: the emerging molecular analysis. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 299–328. , .
- 2004. Silencing the jasmonate cascade: induced plant defenses and insect populations. Science 305: 665–668. , , .
- 2008. Kinetics of salicylate-mediated suppression of jasmonate signaling reveal a role for redox modulation. Plant Physiology 147: 1358–1368. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Cross talk in defense signaling. Plant Physiology 146: 839–844. , .
- 2007. Olfactory response of a predatory mirid to herbivore induced plant volatiles: multiple herbivory vs. single herbivory. Journal Applied Entomology 131: 326–332. , , , .
- 2001. Molecular responses to aphid feeding in Arabidopsis in relation to plant defense pathways. Plant Physiology 125: 1074–1085. , .
- 2010. Variation in natural plant products and the attraction of bodyguards involved in indirect plant defense. Canadian Journal of Zoology 88: 628–667. , .
- 1996. Ethylene as a signal mediating the wound response of tomato plants. Science 274: 1914–1917. , , , , , .
- 2000. Involvement of jasmonate- and salicylate-related signaling pathways for the production of specific herbivore-induced volatiles in plants. Plant & Cell Physiology 41: 391–398. , , , , .
- 1998. Concomitant activation of jasmonate and ethylene response pathways is required for induction of a plant defensin gene in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 10: 2103–2113. , , , , .
- 2007. Plant interactions with microbes and insects: from molecular mechanisms to ecology. Trends in Plant Science 12: 564–569. , .
- 2009. Networking by small-molecule hormones in plant immunity. Nature Chemical Biology 5: 308–316. , , , .
- 2007. Simultaneous feeding by aboveground and belowground herbivores attenuates plant-mediated attraction of their respective natural enemies. Ecology Letters 10: 926–936. , .
- 2011. Hormone crosstalk in plant disease and defense: more than just jasmonate-salicylate antagonism. Annual Review of Phytopathology 49: 317–343. , , .
- 2003. Volatile emissions triggered by multiple herbivore damage: beet armyworm and whitefly feeding on cotton plants. Journal Chemical Ecology 29: 2539–2550. , , .
- 2010. Molecular, biochemical, and organismal analyses of tomato plants simultaneously attacked by herbivores from two different feeding guilds. Journal of Chemical Ecology 36: 1043–1057. , , , , .
- 2011. Pea aphids, Acyrthosiphon pisum, suppress induced plant volatiles in broad bean, Vicia faba. Journal of Chemical Ecology 37: 1055–1062. , , .
- 2002. Oviposition preferences of herbivores are affected by tritrophic interaction webs. Ecology Letters 5: 186–192. , , , .
- 2012. Plant-mediated facilitation between a leaf-feeding and a phloem-feeding insect in a brassicaceous plant: from insect performance to gene transcription. Functional Ecology 26: 156–166. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Response of predatory mites with different rearing histories to volatiles of uninfested plants. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 64: 187–193. , .
- 2002. Jasmonate-deficient plants have reduced direct and indirect defences against herbivores. Ecology Letters 5: 764–774. , , , .
- 2012. Evolution of jasmonate and salycilate signal crosstalk. Trends in Plant Science 17: 260–270. , , .
- 1990. Exploitation of herbivore-induced plant odors by host-seeking parasitic wasps. Science 250: 1251–1253. , , .
- 2002. Induced parasitoid attraction by Arabidopsis thaliana: involvement of the octadecanoid and the salicylic acid pathway. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 1793–1799. , .
- 2004. Indirect defence of plants against herbivores: using Arabidopsis thaliana as a model plant. Plant Biology 6: 387–401. , .
- 2002. The Arabidopsis male-sterile mutant dde2-2 is defective in the ALLENE OXIDE SYNTHASE gene encoding one of the key enzymes of the jasmonic acid biosynthesis pathway. Planta 216: 187–192. , , , .
- 2011. Ecological trade-offs between jasmonic acid-dependent direct and indirect plant defences in tritrophic interactions. New Phytologist 189: 557–567. , , , , , .
- 1994. Plant defense genes are synergistically induced by ethylene and methyl jasmonate. The Plant Cell 6: 1077–1085. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Silverleaf whitefly induces salicylic acid defenses and suppresses effectual jasmonic acid defenses. Plant Physiology 143: 866–875. , , .
- 2009. Whiteflies interfere with indirect plant defense against spider mites in Lima bean. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 21 202–21 207. , , , , , , .