Differential induction of mitochondrial machinery by light intensity correlates with changes in respiratory metabolism and photorespiration in rice leaves
Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 1, pages 103–115, April 2013
How to Cite
Huang, S., Jacoby, R. P., Shingaki-Wells, R. N., Li, L. and Millar, A. H. (2013), Differential induction of mitochondrial machinery by light intensity correlates with changes in respiratory metabolism and photorespiration in rice leaves. New Phytologist, 198: 103–115. doi: 10.1111/nph.12123
- Issue online: 25 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 OCT 2012
- ARC Centre of Excellence in Plant Energy Biology. Grant Numbers: CE0561495, FT110100242
- University International Stipend
- Grains Research and Development Corporation
- Australian Postgraduate Award PhD scholarship. Grant Number: FT110100242
- University of Western Australia and Agilent Technologies Australia
- Centre for Comparative Analysis of Biomolecular Networks
- ARC Australian Future Fellow. Grant Number: FT110100242
- Scholarship International Research Fees
- a Top Up Scholarship
- 1989. Respiration and crop productivity. New York, NY, USA: Spinger-Verlag. .
- 1949. Copper enzymes in isolated chloroplasts. Polyphenoloxidase in beta vulgaris. Plant Physiology 24: 1–15. .
- 1980. Light-induced development of glycine oxidation by mitochondria from sunflower cotyledons. Plant Science Letters 18: 229–235. , .
- 1998. Relationship between the inhibition of leaf respiration by light and enhancement of leaf dark respiration following light treatment. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 25: 437–443. , , .
- 2002. A survey of the plant mitochondrial proteome in relation to development. Proteomics 2: 880–898. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Sugars and circadian regulation make major contributions to the global regulation of diurnal gene expression in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 17: 3257–3281. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1977. Comparative photosynthesis of sun and shade plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 28: 355–377. .
- 1996. Glycine decarboxylase and pyruvate dehydrogenase complexes share the same dihydrolipoamide dehydrogenase in pea leaf mitochondria: evidence from mass spectrometry and primary-structure analysis. Biochemical Journal 313: 229–234. , , , , .
- 1998. Induction of a carbon-starvation-related proteolysis in whole maize plants submitted to light/dark cycles and to extended darkness. Plant Physiology 117: 1281–1291. , , .
- 2010. Enhancing C3 photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 154: 589–592. , .
- 2012. The development of C4 rice: current progress and future challenges. Science 336: 1671–1672. , , .
- 2010. The MetabolomeExpress Project: enabling web-based processing, analysis and transparent dissemination of GC/MS metabolomics datasets. BMC Bioinformatics 11: 376. , , .
- 1981. Principles and practices of rice production. New York, NY, USA: Wiley. .
- 2001. The glycine decarboxylase system: a fascinating complex. Trends in Plant Science 6: 167–176. , , , .
- 1992. Variation of the polypeptide composition of mitochondria isolated from different potato tissues. Plant Physiology 98: 273–278. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Effects of different light intensities on chlorophyll fluorescence characteristics and yield in lettuce. Scientia Horticulturae 135: 45–51. , , .
- 2001. Heat stress response in pea involves interaction of mitochondrial nucleoside diphosphate kinase with a novel 86-kilodalton protein. Plant Physiology 126: 69–77. , , , , .
- 2011. Mitochondrial complex II has a key role in mitochondrial-derived reactive oxygen species influence on plant stress gene regulation and defense. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 10768–10773. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Plant growth in elevated CO2 alters mitochondrial number and chloroplast fine structure. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 2473–2478. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. On the phylogeny, expression and targeting of plant nucleoside diphosphate kinases. Physiologia Plantarum 129: 79–89. , , , , .
- 2003. Putative functions of nucleoside diphosphate kinase in plants and fungi. Journal of Bioenergetics and Biomembranes 35: 57–65. , , , , .
- 2008. Using C4 photosynthesis to increase the yield of rice – rationale and feasibility. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 228–231. , , .
- 1998. Interdependence between chloroplasts and mitochondria in the light and the dark. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1366: 235–255. , , .
- 2009. Experimental analysis of the rice mitochondrial proteome, its biogenesis, and heterogeneity. Plant Physiology 149: 719–734. , , , , , .
- 2004. Structural analysis of Arabidopsis thaliana nucleoside diphosphate kinase-2 for phytochrome-mediated light signaling. Journal of Molecular Biology 343: 659–670. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Structure and mutational analysis of a plant mitochondrial nucleoside diphosphate kinase. identification of residues involved in serine phosphorylation and oligomerization. Plant Physiology 136: 3034–3042. , , , .
- 1986. Biochemical changes during sucrose deprivation in higher plant cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 261: 3193–3199. , , .
- 2008. Refinement of light-responsive transcript lists using rice oligonucleotide arrays: evaluation of gene-redundancy. PLoS ONE 3: e3337. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Physiological and biochemical characterization of three nucleoside diphosphate kinase isozymes from rice (Oryza sativa L.). Bioscience, Biotechnology, and Biochemistry 75: 1740–1745. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Proteome dynamics during plastid differentiation in rice. Plant Physiology 143: 912–923. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Separation and characterization of proteins from green and etiolated shoots of rice (Oryza sativa L.): towards a rice proteome. Electrophoresis 20: 630–636. , , .
- 2002. Localization and characterization of the mitochondrial isoform of the nucleoside diphosphate kinase in the pancreatic β cell: evidence for its complexation with mitochondrial succinyl-CoA synthetase. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 398: 160–169. , , .
- 1993. Mitochondrial contribution to photosynthetic metabolism. A study with barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) leaf protoplasts at different light intensities and CO2 concentrations. Plant Physiology 102: 947–955. , , .
- 2010. Diurnal changes in mitochondrial function reveal daily optimization of light and dark respiratory metabolism in Arabidopsis. Molecular & Cellular Proteomics 9: 2125–2139. , , .
- 2008. Heterogeneity of the mitochondrial proteome for photosynthetic and non-photosynthetic Arabidopsis metabolism. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics 7: 1297–1316. , , , .
- 2011. Combining proteomics of root and shoot mitochondria and transcript analysis to define constitutive and variable components in plant mitochondria. Phytochemistry 72: 1092–1108. , , , .
- 1990. Glycine oxidation in mitochondria isolated from light grown and etiolated plant tissue. Physiologia Plantarum 82: 339–344. , , , .
- 2012. Determining degradation and synthesis rates of Arabidopsis proteins using the kinetics of progressive 15N labeling of two-dimensional gel-separated protein spots. Molecular & Cellular Proteomics doi: 10.1074/mcp.M111.010025. , , , , .
- 1991. Protein synthesis in mitochondria purified from roots, leaves and flowers of sugar beet. Physiologia Plantarum 83: 7–16. , , .
- 2006. Can improvement in photosynthesis increase crop yields? Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 315–330. , , , .
- 2001. Characterization of two cDNAs encoding mitochondrial lipoamide dehydrogenase from Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 127: 615–623. , .
- 1992. Cloning of the gene (gdcH) encoding H-protein, a component of the glycine decarboxylase complex of pea (Pisum sativum L.). Biochemical Journal 286: 627–630. , , .
- 1990. cDNA cloning, primary structure and gene expression for H-protein, a component of the glycine-cleavage system (glycine decarboxylase) of pea (Pisum sativum) leaf mitochondria. Biochemical Journal 268: 783–789. , , , , .
- 2010. Photorespiration: current status and approaches for metabolic engineering. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 13: 248–255. , .
- 2002. The complex fate of α-ketoacids. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 357–375. , , .
- 1985. Maize mitochondria synthesize organspecific polypeptides. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 82: 6879–6883. , .
- 2011. Targeting mitochondrial metabolism and machinery as a means to rnhance photosynthesis. Plant Physiology 155: 101–107. , , .
- 1995. Glycine decarboxylase: protein chemistry and molecular biology of the major protein in leaf mitochondria. Journal of Bioenergetics and Biomembranes 27: 407–414. , .
- 2002. Essentiality of mitochondrial oxidative metabolism for photosynthesis: optimization of carbon assimilation and protection against photoinhibition. Critical Reviews in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 37: 71–119. , , .
- 1991. Activation of a small GTP-binding protein by nucleoside diphosphate kinase. Science 254: 850–853. , , .
- 1987. Analysis by two-dimensional gel electrophoresis of the polypeptide composition of pea mitochondria isolated from different tissues. Electrophoresis 8: 528–532. , , .
- 2012. Achieving yield gains in wheat. Plant, Cell & Environment 35: 1799–1823. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Two-dimensional electrophoretic comparison of mitochondrial polypeptides from different wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) tissues. Plant Science 76: 159–166. , , , , .
- 1991. Changes to the stoichiometry of glycine decarboxylase subunits during wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) and pea (Pisum sativum L.) leaf development. Plant Physiology 96: 952–956. , , , .
- 1984. Comparative electrophoretic studies of polypeptides in leaf, petiole and root mitochondria from spinach. Physiologia Plantarum 61: 45–50. , .
- 2001. Environmental and evolutionary preconditions for the origin and diversification of the C4 photosynthetic syndrome. Plant Biology 3: 202–213. .
- 2012. Differential coloring reveals that plastids do not form networks for exchanging macromolecules. The Plant Cell 24: 1465–1477. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Differential molecular responses of rice and wheat coleoptiles to anoxia reveal novel metabolic adaptations in amino acid metabolism for tissue tolerance. Plant Physiology 156: 1706–1724. , , , , , .
- 2002. Environmental stress causes oxidative damage to plant mitochondria leading to inhibition of glycine fecarboxylase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 42663–42668. , , .
- 2008. Respiratory metabolism of illuminated leaves depends on CO2 and O2 conditions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 797–802. , , , , , .
- 2005. In vivo respiratory metabolism of illuminated leaves. Plant Physiology 138: 1596–1606. , , , , .
- 2001. Multiple transcription-factor genes are early targets of phytochrome A signaling. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 9437–9442. , , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of pyruvate dehydrogenase complex activity in plant cells. European Journal of Biochemistry 270: 1043–1049. , , .
- 1993. The organization and expression of the gene encoding the mitochondrial glycine decarboxylase complex and serine hydroxymethyltransferase in pea (Pisum sativum). Molecular and General Genetics 236: 402–408. , , , , .
- 1996. Regulation of the expression of the glycine decarboxylase complex during pea leaf development. Plant Physiology 112: 1523–1530. , , , , .
- 1986. Light-induced increases in the glycine decarboxylase multienzyme complex from pea leaf mitochondria. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 248: 626–638. , .
- 2007. Proteomic analysis of de-etiolated rice seedlings upon exposure to light. Proteomics 7: 2459–2468. , , , .
- 2006. Light-dependent subcellular localization of nucleoside diphosphate kinase-1 in Neurospora crassa. FEMS Microbiology Letters 261: 64–68. , .