Common mycorrhizal networks amplify size inequality in Andropogon gerardii monocultures
Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2013 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 198, Issue 1, pages 203–213, April 2013
How to Cite
Weremijewicz, J. and Janos, D. P. (2013), Common mycorrhizal networks amplify size inequality in Andropogon gerardii monocultures. New Phytologist, 198: 203–213. doi: 10.1111/nph.12125
- Issue online: 25 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 29 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 DEC 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 SEP 2012
- University of Miami Department of Biology Curtis Fellowship
- College of Arts and Sciences Cooper Fellowship
- 1992. Density dependent interactions between VA mycorrhizal fungi and even-aged seedlings of two perennial Fabaceae species. Oecologia 91: 281–287. , .
- 2006. Interactions between arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi and intraspecific competition affect size, and size inequality, of Plantago lanceolata L. Journal of Ecology 94: 285–294. , , .
- 2011. Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF) improved growth and nutritional quality of greenhouse-grown lettuce. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 59: 5504–5515. , , .
- 1982. Endomycorrhizal role for interspecific transfer of phosphorus in a community of annual plants. Science 217: 941–943. , , .
- 2000. Describing inequality in plant size or fecundity. Ecology 81: 1139–1142. , .
- 1990. Seedling establishment near large plants: effects of vesicular–arbuscular mycorrhizas on the intensity of plant competition. Functional Ecology 4: 95–99. , .
- 2000. Mycorrhizal fungi enhancement of growth and gas exchange of micropropagated guava plantlets (Psidium guajava L.) during ex vitro acclimatization and plant establishment. Mycorrhiza 10: 1–8. , , .
- 2002. Soil phosphorus heterogeneity and mycorrhizal symbiosis regulate plant intra-specific competition and size distribution. Oecologia 133: 54–61. , .
- 1998. Carbon transfer between plants and its control in networks of arbuscular mycorrhizas. Functional Ecology 12: 406–412. , , , , .
- 1981. Competition for light in a plant monoculture as a spatial stochastic process. Annals of Botany 48: 481–500. , .
- 1984. Direct transfer of carbon between plants connected by vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizal mycelium. Nature 307: 53–56. , .
- 1955. Wound-healing of hyphae in a phycomycetous mycorrhizal fungus. Mycologia 47: 916–918. .
- 1999. Anastomosis formation and nuclear and protoplasmic exchange in arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 65: 5571–5575. , , .
- 1987. Floristic diversity in a model system using experimental microcosms. Letters to Nature 328: 420–422. , , , .
- 2011. Tit for tat? A mycorrhizal fungus accumulates phosphorus under low plant carbon availability. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 76: 236–244. , , , .
- 1977. Population biology of plants. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press. .
- 1993. Mycorrhizal influence on intra- and interspecific neighbour interactions among co-occuring prairie grasses. Journal of Ecology 81: 787–795. , , .
- 1999. Mycorrhizae influence plant community structure and diversity in tallgrass prairie. Ecology 80: 1187–1195. , .
- 2009. Use of 15N stable isotope to quantify nitrogen transfer between mycorrhizal plants. Journal of Plant Ecology 2: 107–118. , , , .
- 1998. Mycorrhizal fungal diversity determines plant biodiversity, ecosystem variability and productivity. Letters to Nature 396: 69–72. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Extraradical mycelium of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi radiating from large plants depresses the growth of nearby seedlings in a nutrient deficient substrate. Mycorrhiza 21: 641–650. , , , , .
- 1980. Effects of N, K, and Mg on growth and leaf nutrient composition of 3 container grown woody ornamentals inoculated with mycorrhizae. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Science 105: 286–288. , , .
- 2001. Novel in-growth core system enables functional studies of grassland mycorrhizal mycelial networks. New Phytologist 152: 555–562. , , .
- 2011. Reciprocal rewards stabilize cooperation in the mycorrhizal symbiosis. Science 333: 880–882. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1956. Intraspecific competition among higher plants. VIII Frequency distribution of individual plant weights as affected by the interaction between plants. Journal of the Institute of Polytechnics, Osaka City University Series D 7: 73–94. , .
- 2003. A test of mutual aid in common mycorrhizal networks: established vegetation negates benefit in seedlings. Ecology 84: 898–906. , , .
- 2010. Plants as resource islands and storage units–adopting the mycocentric view of arbuscular mycorrhizal networks. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 74: 336–345. , , .
- 2011. PC-ORD: multivariate analysis of ecological data. Gleneden Beach, OR, USA: MjM Softward. , .
- 1990. A new method which gives an objective-measure of colonization of roots by vesicular arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. New Phytologist 115: 495–501. , , , , .
- 1978. Stand structure and allometry of trees during self-thinning of pure stands. Journal of Ecology 66: 599–614. , , .
- 2004. The fungus does not transfer carbon to or between roots in an arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis. New Phytologist 163: 617–627. , , , , .
- 2010. Effect of Glomus species on physiology and biochemistry of Catharanthus roseus. Indian Journal of Microbiology 50: 355–360. , , .
- 2005. Biology of plants. New York, NY, USA: W.H. Freeman and Company Publishers. , , .
- 1995. Size and reproductive inequality in mycorrhizal and nonmycorrhizal populations of Abutilon theophrasti. Journal of Ecology 83: 613–620. , .
- 1983. Factors affecting frequency distributions of plant mass: the absence of dominance and suppression in competing monocultures of Festuca paradoxa. Ecology 64: 469–475. , .
- 2012. Mycorrhizal networks: common goods of plants shared under unequal terms of trade. Plant Physiology 159: 789–797. , , , , , .
- 1985. Size hierarchies in experimental populations of annual plants. Ecology 66: 743–752. .
- 1990. Asymmetric competition in plant populations. Tree 5: 360–364. .
- 1984. The meaning and measurement of size hierarchies in plant-populations. Oecologia 61: 334–336. , .
- 1986. Size variability and competition in plant monocultures. Oikos 47: 211–222. , .
- 1996. Influence of arbuscular mycorrhizal infection on competition between Holcus lanatus and Dactylis glomerata. Journal of Ecology 84: 429–438. .
- 2006. Mycorrhizal-mediated phosphorus transfer between tallgrass prairie plants Sorghastrum nutans and Artemisia ludoviciana. Functional Ecology 20: 427–435. , , .